Planetary Yogas

Hi,

I liked the concept of planetary yogas which combines planets dignity, aspects, angularity and other configurations. I saw B.V Raman's 300 important combinations book, which I think is a good reference.

Which traditional book has the the complete reference of the planetary yogas ?
Also if anybody could share any information of the historical origins of the planetary yogas, it would be helpful.
Are the yogas mentioned in western astrology?

Thanks,
Vasanth

Vasanth, I doubt very much there is a book that is a complete reference to planetary yogas. There are at least two newer books that I have in my library that are fairly complete:

Yogas in Astrology by Dr. K. S. Charak, JDR Ventures, 1995, 214 pages.

Core Yogas by Ernst Wilhelm, Kala Occult Publishers, 2002, 248 pages.

Both of these books would be very helpful in studying yogas. A problem with Wilhelm's book is that the text of the yogas proper (in the edition I have) is in an almost unreadable font. However the explanations of the yogas and example charts are in a clear font.

For a long time I've wanted to compare India's yogas with planetary combinations in classical western texts, but time to do that has eluded me. It would make a very worthwhile study to explore possible cross cultural exchanges between the west and India.

Checking just now I see that Dr, Charak's book can be purchased from a USA Amazon seller for about USD $15. However Wilhelm's book is now selling in the USD $100 range as its been out of print for awhile. You might check Ernst Wilhelm's web site where it may be able to be downloaded or purchased.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

I forgot to mention that several Jyotish astrology programs have yogas programmed into them such as Wilhelm's Kala software and Parashara's Light. (My favorite is Parashara's light because I prefer circular charts which is a choice in that software.)

But it's more helpful to understand the underlying principles from the books. I've found the yoga printouts for individual charts not to be especially helpful. It could be the way the yogas are described (too many Indian terms) or the supposed results don't relate to today's culture. And sometimes there are mistakes in the programming. It's probably best to have both the software and books for a comprehensive understanding.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Therese Hamilton wrote:I forgot to mention that several Jyotish astrology programs have yogas programmed into them such as Wilhelm's Kala software and Parashara's Light. (My favorite is Parashara's light because I prefer circular charts which is a choice in that software.)

But it's more helpful to understand the underlying principles from the books. I've found the yoga printouts for individual charts not to be especially helpful. It could be the way the yogas are described (too many Indian terms) or the supposed results don't relate to today's culture. And sometimes there are mistakes in the programming. It's probably best to have both the software and books for a comprehensive understanding.
Maitreya 8 has that feature too and it is a freeware.
http://saravali.de/