Exaltation of the nodes

Andrew,

I was interested in your comments about Fagan?s exaltation theory and the exaltation of the north node. I did a study of this some time ago but unfortunately in my notes I only listed the exaltation degrees of the planets, not the nodes.
the Babylonian system of planetary exaltations exalts the North Node in the "sensitive degree" of the First Point of Aries.
Since it?s clear that most of the planetary exaltations have remained very close to the degrees of their heliacal phenomenon in 786 BC, the year when the temple was dedicated to Nabu, I?m curious why the exaltation of the nodes would be moved to 3° Gem/Sag ?

Lilly?s table is said to represent the dignities according to Ptolemy, yet Ptolemy doesn?t make any reference to the nodes having an exaltation, nor does he include any degree positions. I?m not even sure when the idea of the north node being exalted at 3° Gemini first started to be accepted let alone why. Any comments you or anyone else has on this will be appreciated.

Re: Exaltation of the nodes

I was interested in your comments about Fagan?s exaltation theory and the exaltation of the north node. I did a study of this some time ago but unfortunately in my notes I only listed the exaltation degrees of the planets, not the nodes.
I hope this links works:

http://astrologysoftware.com/cg/matrix. ... ewlook=yes
Since it?s clear that most of the planetary exaltations have remained very close to the degrees of their heliacal phenomenon in 786 BC, the year when the temple was dedicated to Nabu, I?m curious why the exaltation of the nodes would be moved to 3° Gem/Sag ?
This might help:

http://www.alignment2012.com/polar-to-solar.html

Interestingly, sidereal astrologers also exalt Uranus at 9 Sagittarius, Neptune at 18 Aquarius, and Pluto at 18 Cancer:

http://www.startiming.net/cave/earthday-02.html

I hope this helps....?

A late addition to a dead thread...

I was just directed toward Fred Gettings' "Dictionary of Astrology." On page 159 of the Routledge & Kegan Paul edition (1985) under the entry HYPSOMATA he writes:

"A modern hypsomata, really an 'exaltation degree' for the node, is given as 3 degrees of Gemini by the Arabian astrologer Albiruni (11th century AD), which was repeated by the 17th century astrologer Lilly, and by this means was adopted into the western astrological tradition. The hypsomata of Fagan do correspond to the Hellenistic exaltation degrees recorded by Neugebauer, yet it is worth recording that other systems and variations have survived from ancient times. For example, the Roman encyclopaedist Pliny quotes the exaltation degrees given above, with the variations... <snip> ...Albiruni gives quite different figures, which he claims to have from Hindu astrology...."

On page 120 of the Routledge & Kegan Paul edition (1985) under the entry EXALTATIONS he writes:

"Following the computations of the 'hypsomatic degrees' for what he called the HYPSOMATIC YEAR, Fagan provides the exaltation degrees of the so-called new planets and the nodes as set out in table 37 [i.e., Dragon's Head -- Aries 1 (0.5)]. It will be noted that in Hindu astrology the north node (RAHU) is exalted in Taurus, and the south node (KETU) in Scorpio."

Interestingly, in "The Complete Dictionary of Astrology" written by Alan Leo and edited by Vivian Robson, Leo writes: "Taurus is supposed to be its (the north node) house or sign...Scorpio is supposed to be its (the south node) house or sign."

My own view now (enfin!) is that the North Node is strong in the domiciles of Venus and Jupiter while the South Node is strong in the domiciles of Mars and Saturn. We might associate the Moon with the North Node (the Moon is exalted in Taurus, ruled by *Venus*, which is exalted in Pisces, ruled by *Jupiter*) and the Sun with the South Node (the Sun is exalted in Aries, ruled by *Mars*, which is exalted in Capricorn, ruled by *Saturn*) or we might agree with the standard Hindu view that the North Node is exalted in 3 degrees of Taurus (which is ruled by Venus which is exalted in Pisces which is ruled by Jupiter) whereas the South Node is exalted in 3 degrees of Scorpio (which is ruled by Mars which is exalted in Capricorn which is ruled by Saturn).

In any event I believe the exaltation degrees of the planets are as much a part of the astrological model as the domiciles of planets. If for example we place the signs of exaltation on the ladder of the planets we obtain the following arrangement:

Mars
Venus

Sun
Moon, Saturn

Mercury
Jupiter

Hmm...what might this mean?

Cheers