Brazilian Protests

The last week has seen the largest public demonstrations in Brazil for decades. What started as protests against plans to increase fates on buses and Metros in Sao Paulo expanded into a nationwide protest movement across Brazil?s cities.

While the fare increases sparked the initial public protest the subsequent government crack down seemed to unleash widespread public anger against a host of grievances such as perceived government corruption, high taxation levels, and the failure to deliver on promises to improve public services such as health care and education.

Some of the protests have targeted the Confederations Cup, the eight-team Football tournament currently taking place which is considered a dry run for next year's World Cup taking place in Brazil. Demonstrators have expressed their anger at steep ticket prices and the money spent on both tournaments, as well as the 2016 Olympic Games, which Rio de Janeiro is hosting.

On Thursday night (June 20th) more than a million people took to the streets and there was violence in various cities in which dozens were injured and two people died.

This is clearly not the face the Brazilian government wanted to present the world. Bowing to public pressure Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has today unveiled a series of reforms in an attempt to end days of nationwide anti-government protests.

In a televised address today she said she would draft a new plan to benefit public transport and that all oil royalties would be used in education.She also said that thousands of doctors would be drafted in from overseas to improve the national health service.
I thought I would see what was triggering these events in modern Brazil.

Four moments are often considered pivotal events to justify a national chart for Brazil:

1500-The Initial Portugese occupation of Brazil when it claimed the territory as an overseas colony of the Kingdom of Portugal.

1822-The Declaration of Independence from Portugal

1889-Brazil is Declared a Republic

1988-This chart marks the modern federal constitution of Brazil which came into effect following a long period of military dictatorship.

This link provides source information for all the charts used here:

http://www.dominantstar.com/a_brazil.htm

In my opinion for most countries one chart seldom says it all. Rather than see numerous charts as confusing we can see them as providing a helpful parallax view of a nation?s unfolding story. Having said that we all have our preferences. I personally think the 1889 and 1988 charts are especially useful.

I have prepared all these charts as bi-wheels with the transits for Thursday June 20th when the public protest reached its peak.

1500 Chart Transits
1822 Chart Transits
1889 Chart Transits
1988 Chart Transits
I have heard a few astrologers comment that Brazil is a Virgo nation. I can only think that stems from the Sun in the 1822 chart. However, looking at key charts for the country as a whole there seems a much stronger link instead to Pisces. The 1822, and 1988 charts are all Pisces rising. Moreover, the 1500 chart has a Pisces Moon while the exact timing for that chart is quite speculative. Pisces seems to fit the Brazilian national character much better than Virgo to me. I also think the Aries/Leo theme of the 1889 chart fits the exuberant, extravagant nature of Brazilian culture. This theme is repeated with the Leo Moon in the 1988 chart.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hi Mark,

Thanks for the charts put altogether.

Pisces seems to fit the brazilian spirit indeed: mystical, rythmical, enchanting. Famous for its football (=feet!), but also for the slum circumstances millions of people are living in.
Amazon basin, earth's major oxygen deposit, as well as its indigenous people, both endangered by capitalism, is another piscean feature as opposed to rough materialistic reality.

*Interestingly, Portugal, Brasil's initial coloniser, is also Pisces
**what's that 09Aries12 Asc (inner wheel) in 1889 chart?

Hello Geo,
**what's that 09Aries12 Asc (inner wheel) in 1889 chart?
Ooops. Quite correct. I got a bit muddled as I have been experimenting with Sripati house system (what Solar Fire calls 'Hindu Bhava'). I must have left the Sripati houses setting for that chart. In Sripati house system the ASC is in the middle of the house not the beginning. Hence in the 1889 chart with Sripati houses the ASC is is Aries but the house begins before this in Pisces. That is why it looked like another Pisces ASC with a bi-wheel! I have replaced the chart with a more familiar placidus chart.

In fact there there are two charts for 1889. The Empire of Brazil was overthrown at 11.00am that day by a military coup giving an Aquarian ASC. However, the proclamation of a Republic came later in the day at 3.00pm.

I think the the second chart fits well. Combined with the Pisces theme in the other charts we see a very exuberant fiery chart with Aries rising and a Moon in Leo. I think the warm , passionate, extroverted nature of Brazilians is well brought out. The water theme is retained with a Scorpio Sun. And of course the Football obsession of the country and its success with Aries rising and that Moon in the 5th. The 1988 chart also has Moon in Leo.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi Mark
Thanks for your time putting up so many charts.
You wrote >
In fact there there are two charts for 1889. The Empire of Brazil was overthrown at 11.00am that day by a military coup giving an Aquarian ASC. However, the proclamation of a Republic came later in the day at 3.00pm.
END
If not a bother Mark, what is source to the Times you list. Many Thanks Michaelb

Michaelb wrote:
Hi Mark
Thanks for your time putting up so many charts.
You wrote >
END
If not a bother Mark, what is source to the Times you list. Many Thanks Michaelb
Hi Michael.

Fair question. In fact the forum guidelines indicate giving sources for any charts provided so as moderator I should be setting a better example!

Its nearly all from Nicholas Campion's Book of World Horoscopes.

The link I provided above cites all the sources for these charts. Just scroll down below the chart to see the notes:

http://www.dominantstar.com/a_brazil.htm

Mark

Hi,

here in Brazil the most used chart is the independence chart (1822) but there's a controversy about the ASC. Some astrologers prefer Pisces and others Aquarius. The ASC Aquarius: 7 September, 16:08, Sao Paulo.

In my point of view the ASC Aquarius refects more exactly the historical critical moments of the country. In 2009 Neptune was visiting the 22? of Aquarius and it was discovered the giant oil reserve deep in the sea of Brazils coastline. Earlier this year Mars was passing in the same point and there was a great tragedy in the city of Santa Maria, more than 200 (mostly young people) people died in fire.

The expansive nature of brazilian people is easily explained by the Moon Jupiter conjuction in Gemini. We are not so mystical as you think, we value more the social meetings than the spiritual content of religious rituals. About Virgo, we have an outrageous bureaucracy, it's insane!

Now Saturn is transiting the natal Mars in 5? Scorpio and Mars was passing through Moon Jupiter natal in Gemini in 10-20 June. Saturn is also the chart regent if you consider the ASC Aquarius, (and Mars represents the MC).

The president has suggered a refendum on political reform yesterday as a form to clean the political system. I think the prostests will calm as mars goes away from Moon Jupiter Natal, but soon Mars will oppose Neptune Uranus natal from V House - maybe the pressure on parlamentarians for the reform (Neptune Uranus in XI House)?

Anyway, i think that a change will occur because the MC of progressed chart will enter Gemini in january 2015 (when the new elected president will begin his mandate). When the MC entered in Taurus (~1985) the dictatorchip ended and a new constitution was passed in 1988 - here we call this era onwards as New Republic.

Sorry about my english!

Hi Mark
You wrote>
Hi Michael. Fair question. In fact the forum guidelines indicate giving sources for any charts provided so as moderator I should be setting a better example! END

Moderator did his job much better than this member did his! Dont know how I missed the link. Many Thanks Michaelb

hi jacopo

thanks for sharing your perspective! nic campion has 2 charts in his latest edition to 'book of world horoscopes' with the 2nd one being set for a time between 4 and 5 pm on the date and place in the chart you share.. he rounds it off to 430pm, but also mentions that many brazilian astrologers work with a chart for 447pm.. of course the 447pm chart is the one with pisces rising - 0 degree 56'..

i like how you have made a connection to 22 aquarius and put it as the rising degree.. do you have any other astro techniques to go with the transit data to back up this 22 aq rising chart off those events? i also like how you connect this chart to the recent events in brazil.. none of that however seems to directly engage the degree of the 22 aq, or 0 pisces ascendant in any obvious way..

regarding the 2009 oil discovery - when i try to research this on the internet i can't find it... wikipedia lists lula oil field as the primary discovery in the past 10 years.. they had a celebration for this in 2009, but it was discovered in oct 2006.. thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lula_oil_field

jacopo wrote:Hi,

here in Brazil the most used chart is the independence chart (1822) but there's a controversy about the ASC. Some astrologers prefer Pisces and others Aquarius. The ASC Aquarius: 7 September, 16:08, Sao Paulo.

In my point of view the ASC Aquarius refects more exactly the historical critical moments of the country. In 2009 Neptune was visiting the 22? of Aquarius and it was discovered the giant oil reserve deep in the sea of Brazils coastline. Earlier this year Mars was passing in the same point and there was a great tragedy in the city of Santa Maria, more than 200 (mostly young people) people died in fire.

The expansive nature of brazilian people is easily explained by the Moon Jupiter conjuction in Gemini. We are not so mystical as you think, we value more the social meetings than the spiritual content of religious rituals. About Virgo, we have an outrageous bureaucracy, it's insane!

Now Saturn is transiting the natal Mars in 5? Scorpio and Mars was passing through Moon Jupiter natal in Gemini in 10-20 June. Saturn is also the chart regent if you consider the ASC Aquarius, (and Mars represents the MC).

The president has suggered a refendum on political reform yesterday as a form to clean the political system. I think the prostests will calm as mars goes away from Moon Jupiter Natal, but soon Mars will oppose Neptune Uranus natal from V House - maybe the pressure on parlamentarians for the reform (Neptune Uranus in XI House)?

Anyway, i think that a change will occur because the MC of progressed chart will enter Gemini in january 2015 (when the new elected president will begin his mandate). When the MC entered in Taurus (~1985) the dictatorchip ended and a new constitution was passed in 1988 - here we call this era onwards as New Republic.

Sorry about my english!

Hi,
A few quick notes. Look to the 1988 chart says much what folks are complaining about. First to note that the Asc for that chart 9+ Pisces reached the Primary Directed PD conjunction of Mars 3+ Aries 2013 04 14 yyyymmdd Morinus no latitude plac semi arc zodiacal naibod. Mars now what we might call transitional ruler for ASC.. Around June 21 another PD, Mars/MC to square so Mars is current ruler for both angles.

Mars ruler of 2H. A malefic in 2H brings to question, Ethical conduct / see info in links below about PEC37 and cash for votes scandal:
http://rachelsrantings.com/?p=3218
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... r/2449229/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensal%C3%A3o

Mars ruler of 2H a spendthrift, so we hear complaints about the costs of stadiums W.Cup and Olympics. Via links above you see Mars involvement again by ruling 9H supreme court.

Mark gave us a date June 20, 2013 to the larger demonstrations with violence. Mars again active. Om June 19, the day before the big demo is when Mars made his morning appearance and the fight began.

More to note for 1988 chart, the recent Eclipse May 25 2012 4+ Sag on Jupiter 5+ Sag ruler of both MC and Asc.. Of course most of us were not following events in Brazil until recent days so we missed this.

Phenomena on Eclipse date we seldom notice, Mercury Venus making their evening appearance. Day before Eclipse, it was Mars coming out of combustion. Have not had time for the other Brazil charts but maybe some of you do? Michaelb

james,

i'm not realy an astrologer, just a curious person. These informations were discussed between brazilian astrologers in articles and foruns, i'm not into retification techniques.

The first production of oil from Lulas field was in 2009, and the government made big nationalist marketing campaigns that year (Petrobras is a state owned company) because it wanted to change the Oil Law. 2006 onwards others pre salt regions were discovered (though not as big as Lula). It was a test period that culminated with this capitalization: "In 2009, Petrobras announced a market capitalization plan to finance its future investments in ultra-deep oil exploration. The share offering in the BM&F Bovespa Stock Exchange took place in September 2010, becoming the largest market capitalization in history, with R$ 120,4 billion (US$ 69,97 billion) in shares issued." (wikipedia)

You can say football or Christ the Redeemer as pisces symbolism, but you can say the same about the national flag text: order and progress (virgo and aquarius?); Brazil is know too as the "country of future".

Seeing the MC as Scorpio makes sense in my view because its regent is mars which is its own sign (a strong position) and opposing Saturn retrograde, the chart regent. This explains the strength of State here. The "revolutions" in Brazil were always from high (from elite or government), never a civil war took place here. Even the republic was proclaimed by the military (1889) - before that there was a monarchy.

In the progressed chart the SUN is in PISCES right now, MARS is also in PISCES. In 2017, however, SUN and MARS will be in ARIES. Maybe the perception of the country will change a little until there.

Anyway, theres several other charts and they give good clues to us.

Jacopo wrote:
Hi,

In my point of view the ASC Aquarius reflects more exactly the historical critical moments of the country. In 2009 Neptune was visiting the 22? of Aquarius and it was discovered the giant oil reserve deep in the sea of Brazils coastline. Earlier this year Mars was passing in the same point and there was a great tragedy in the city of Santa Maria, more than 200 (mostly young people) people died in fire.
Hello Jacopo,

First off a very warm welcome to Skyscript. I hope you enjoy the site. Take a chance to check the numerous features here. Nice that you chose to make your first post in the mundane forum. Keep them coming! And your English is fine. Anyway, we are are much more interested here in the quality of the astrology people have to offer than the English grammar.

Looking at the issue of identifying a radical chart for a country I think we need to take a longer historical perspective. While I don?t deny your chosen events had significance for Brazil I am not sure they qualify as epic events on the historical Richter scale. And that?s precisely the kind of event(s) we should be looking for in Brazilian history or for any other national chart.

For example, in a USA chart I would first check the attack on Pearl Harbour, 9/11 attacks, the outbreak of the civil war, or a presidential assassination. If a chart doesn?t reflect such major events its becomes quite questionable as a valid chart to reflect historical events.

Secondly, we need to look at the chart with several astrological techniques. Transits shouldn?t be decisive although I don?t deny they are very convenient. I personally, find solar arcs more accurate than secondary progressions in actually picking up outward events. Of course the progressed angles are not based on a day for a year secondary progressions but instead primary directions.

So addressing the first point I give a couple of links to websites which set out key events in Brazilian history:

http://www.datesandevents.org/places-ti ... meline.htm

http://www.findfast.org/history-and-eve ... brazil.htm

Looking over the last 50 years of Brazilian history the most dramatic event seems to be the military coup d?etat of March 31st 1964. This led to over 20 years years rule by the military. The military coup started in the early hours 31st March 1964. The process wasn?t completed until April 2nd so a chart for either date is valid. Hence I am more interested in the slower moving planets from Mars outwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Brazi ... '%C3%A9tat

I suggest this is an absolutely crucial event which all Brazilian charts can be tested with ( except of course the chart for the new constitution/Republic of 1988!)

I have displayed the 2 charts for 1822 with this event on the outer wheel.
Firstly, the 1822 Aquarius rising chart
Secondly, The Pisces rising chart for 1822 chart
I would never go so far as to suggest transits are decisive but it does seem that the Pisces rising chart is more obviously reflecting this event with Saturn in partile conjunction with the Pisces ASC.

On the other hand using solar arcs the Aquarius rising chart does quite graphically pick up the events of 1964 with Pluto on the DESC in partile opposition to the ASC
Moreover, looking at the seconday progressions there seems additional support for the 22 Aq chart.

Firstly, the Aq rising chart with normal SPs:
Mercury (Lord 8) has moved by SP to the radix ASC.

Secondly, the SP chart with converse progressions:
Mars is on the DESC while the Nodes by converse SP have moved to the the radix ASC/DESC axis.

It goes to show that you cant just assess radicality with a single transit hit.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark wrote:I have heard a few astrologers comment that Brazil is a Virgo nation. I can only think that stems from the Sun in the 1822 chart. However, looking at key charts for the country as a whole there seems a much stronger link instead to Pisces.
Personally, I think this is messing up the labelling. I believe you are viewing the nation from two different perspectives. Samba and carneval has nothing to do with the Virgo rulership, but I think it's good these matters are up for discussion. :)
http://www.astronor.com