What an exciting evening.
A double-billing of Coronation Street.!!
Les Battersby was brilliant.

I didn?t watch the football but I heard it :)
The 7th house Neil, was England, but unfortunately using this technique I have to know the result before I can make an accurate assignation of significators :D

Right, I think we need to get serious with the next match - someone post the data as soon as its available.

It's Lisbon again, 19.45, Thurs 24 June. Portugal v England.

Bet365.com makes Portugal slight favourites, which seems reasonable (except, perhaps, for the 'slight') plus as the home side their case for grabbing the Asc is strong...

I don't think there is any merit in assigning the 'favourites' to the ascendant. Apart from the fact that it's often hard to decide who the favourites are, I'm not sure where the idea came from. Does anyone know who introduced that idea?

In this chart the Moon is separating from the square of angular Pluto as its last aspect in its current sign. But it's already in orb of its sextile with the 8th house Mars in Leo and the square of the Sun. It looks like it will be a very powerful and hard-fought match with a lot of pressure and conflict. Since the Moon signifies 'the masses', I hope it's not pointing to crowd trouble, though it seems to be a difficult night with tensions running high.

Deb wrote: In this chart the Moon is separating from the square of Pluto as its last aspect in its current sign. But it's already in orb of its sextile with the 8th house Mars in Leo and the square of the Sun. It looks like it will be a very powerful and hard-fought match with a lot of pressure and conflict. Since the Moon signifies 'the masses', I hope it's not pointing to crowd trouble, though it seems to be a difficult night with tensions running high.
The masses - Portugese fans?
Powerful? - How is that likely to show in the way the match goes. Anyone?
Crowd trouble? It is England - most likely. Although it may happen if they win or lose.

So are we are looking at a hard fought draw full time and a silver goal or penalties?

Just a thought - Is it possible to see what factors are influencing matches from examining previous charts when the results are known and find out who will go through to the next round?

I thought your prediction Deb was spot on for the last match.
Neil
Online Dating::Star Sign Compatibility

"Honesty's the Best Policy" - Miguel de Cervantes

Ah, I can?t take any credit for what I said about the last match because I skilfully avoided saying anything at all. The only thing I was confident about, was that there wouldn?t be a draw.

Bear in mind I?m only making a very general assessment of the astrological mood for the time of the match. I was interested in how the old Moon in the England v Switzerland expressed itself because according to traditional lore, you don?t gather great public interest in events held at a new Moon. The mood here for that match was very subdued, I reckon, compared to the first match, but I suppose we were somewhat on a downer after the last minute turnaround in England v France.

Many of these matches are starting with Sag-Gem on the asc-desc and with the planets falling into the descendant at the end of the match, showing powerful and dramatic action at the end of the game. Eg, the England v France match started with Pluto opposite the Sun and the Sun hit the descendant at the end of the game, bringing the full force of that opposition into play at that time, turning the game around, and leaving everyone emotionally stunned.

You mentioned that you thought last night?s game would be tense at the end and I expected that there would be a burst of energy with goals scored towards the end of the match for the same reason ? the Sun hit the descendant around 9:00 pm and minutes before and after this goals were scored.

In this next match the Moon is square the Sun, which brings tension and dis-ease, and its besieged between Pluto (or Saturn if you ignore Pluto) and an 8th house, essentially debilitated Mars. I take Pluto rising to show a lot of powerful emotional energy focussed upon this game and with the Moon so tense I?d expect this would erupt into trouble and aggressive responses both on and off the pitch. Like I said, this is all a very general description of the backdrop against which the details take place. I?m hoping to look at this combined with other charts before the game actually starts and if I can start gathering details that reinforce a sense of confidence I?ll make a prediction later.
Just a thought - Is it possible to see what factors are influencing matches from examining previous charts when the results are known and find out who will go through to the next round?
That?s an interesting thing to do if you have the time to do it. Unfortunately my desk is piled high and I can?t give this the attention I?d like. But I'm going to get ready for the world cup :)

Deb wrote:Ah, I can?t take any credit for what I said about the last match because I skilfully avoided saying anything at all. The only thing I was confident about, was that there wouldn?t be a draw.
Well not many games have lots of goals so a lively match (ie lots of goals or shots on goal) that was a good prediction on its own. :'

If the next England game is a tight hard fought affair with lots of aggro then that will be a good prediction too (although IMO quarter finals tend often to be tighter, semi's less so and the final well i think it depends how those teams played in the tournament as a whole how the game will turn out.)

You didn't commit to England I assume because it was not obvious which team was the 7th house. I wondered if you had a gut reaction to which team that was at the time?

It would certainly be interesting to see if there were any consistant clues that were missed.
Neil

I told my husband that I thought England would win so long as they didn?t get complacent at the end of the game. But I?m sure the England v France experience helped with that. I think England plays a lot better when everyone ? players, fans and commentators ? stop being arrogant about out chances. We?re much better as a defiant underdog.

I?m trying to decide whether Mercury?s opposition to the Sun in the national chart is a good thing or not. The English 1066 chart has the Sun at 9.55 Capricorn on the Midheaven, the 1801 UK chart has the Sun at 10.11 Capricorn on the IC (I like the way the Sun dropped to the bottom of the chart as we lost influence as a dominating power). I?d give Mercury to England anyway since Portugal are at home and therefore we?ll be seen as the ?invaders?.

I don't like the way this chart is so evenly balanced. If it were two opponents in a court case I'd advise an out-of-court settlement. What do others think? It doesn?t help that Mercury and Jupiter are applying to sextile and there is mutual reception by exaltation. I?m reading this as we can?t expect either team to dominate entirely; they?ll bring the best performances out of each other.

I'm not very good at this you know :?

There?s a lot of contradictory factors but I?ve decided to put my money on a victory for England. Based mainly on the fact that Mercury (who I?m assigning to England) is sextile to the north node in the 5th house of sport and that falls in the first house of the 1066 chart and makes a trine to the 1066 Sun on the Midheaven. If I?m wrong I?ll mourn with my country and give up analysing football charts :)

Phew, this is stressful!

Deb wrote: I think England plays a lot better when everyone ? players, fans and commentators ? stop being arrogant about out chances. We?re much better as a defiant underdog.
For sure. An inflated sence of self importance never helps.
Deb wrote: The English 1066 chart has the Sun at 9.55 Capricorn on the Midheaven, the 1801 UK chart has the Sun at 10.11 Capricorn on the IC
Is the 1801 chart still important considering that Ireland have sort of left. Perhaps 1707 would be a better UK Chart? Although not sure that will help here. Is there a more recent chart for England than 1066? As an aside 1066 also affected Scotland considerably.
Deb wrote: I don't like the way this chart is so evenly balanced. If it were two opponents in a court case I'd advise an out-of-court settlement. What do others think? It doesn?t help that Mercury and Jupiter are applying to sextile and there is mutual reception by exaltation. I?m reading this as we can?t expect either team to dominate entirely; they?ll bring the best performances out of each other.
Perhaps this is one when mood of the nation in London and/or Lisbon the day after will be a better way of measuring who wins.
Deb wrote: I'm not very good at this you know :?
Too modest. Perhaps you could play for England :-). You are getting lots of practise so must be getting better all the time.
Neil

Deb wrote:There?s a lot of contradictory factors but I?ve decided to put my money on a victory for England. Based mainly on the fact that Mercury (who I?m assigning to England) is sextile to the north node in the 5th house of sport and that falls in the first house of the 1066 chart and makes a trine to the 1066 Sun on the Midheaven. If I?m wrong I?ll mourn with my country and give up analysing football charts :)

Phew, this is stressful!
I think England will win as well. Silver goal or penalties though.

I think I might go for a France v Sweden final though (although France v England perhaps?). Anything in the charts so far to suggest either of those?
Neil

Hi guys, been away for a couple of days. Didn't look at the chart for the Monday game - just sat back and watched the goals going in! Congrats to Deb and Neil re their "lively match" and "lots of goals" predictions :'
I don't think there is any merit in assigning the 'favourites' to the ascendant. Apart from the fact that it's often hard to decide who the favourites are, I'm not sure where the idea came from. Does anyone know who introduced that idea?
Not sure but I think it was probably John Frawley. It's logical, in the sense that it's the favoured, home position. The away team or underdogs are the challengers. I don't "decide" on a favourite - I take the bookies' odds, which are based on form + where the money is going. If there isn't a clear-cut favourite, then I look at symbolism.
Since the Moon signifies 'the masses', I hope it's not pointing to crowd trouble, though it seems to be a difficult night with tensions running high.
Problems re ticket allocation possibly?

There?s a lot of contradictory factors but I?ve decided to put my money on a victory for England.
Literally? :D

I wouldn't normally touch a chart with a void Moon (ok I know it's within orbs of Mars and Sun but....). However, since it's an important game I'm forging on regardless. I agree that England will win. Jupiter in detriment, Mercury in its own face plus its M/R with the Moon. I'm going for 2-1, using the planets crossing angles method. I abandoned this method a long time ago because it was so unreliable, but you never know....

Interesting that Mercury hits the Desc at EXACTLY 9.30!!! Another last-minute goal? Wondering if so many receptions could mean own goals? Re the Moon making aspects after it has changed sign - no goals until the 2nd half, i.e. after the teams have changed ends? Just a few thoughts.