Courses, courses, courses - comments

Hello again,

A question:-

Need some feedback from all:-

Did any of you attended or did any of the following courses?

1. Astrologos
2. Robert Zoller
3. Frawley
4. Others, (please state...)

Was the course useful?
Would you recommend it to others?
From a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being damn good), how would you grade the course?

I hope these questions are allowable...?

THANX...

I have taken Robert Zoller's Foundation Course and exam.
it fed the fuel to continue with his Diploma of Medievel Astrology course.
10 stars (~no pun intended)

I would recommend him to the serious minded, of which, having read some of your posts, inclines me to think you might be interested.

He & Bernadette Brady (astologos), Robert Hand and others not coming to mind at the moment use many of the same sources (Bonatti as one comes to mind).

I had also taken the FAA many years ago, but don't recommend it, I had to un-learn many things.

Frawley is good and Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson was excellent and her books are still available (having just bought my daughter some, couldn't part with mine ~grin).

Books, books, years of books... I wonder how much I'll need to 'unlearn'? Carnna, what is FAA please? I've had too many life-altering changes in the midst of trying to finish out the AFA course, which I have my doubts about (stereotypes & generalities abound). Evangeline Adams was brilliant and all she had was a pencil, so there's inspiration. I am also interested in who's learned what & how. It's a luxury to have something as nice as this forum to learn from. Thank you Tom, for pointing me in the right direction!

Hi,

I completed John Frawley's horary course a few years ago and learned more astrology in that time than I did in all the previous years I studied put together. It is expensive, though.

I also took Noel Tyl's "Masters Course" but stopped about 1/3 of the way through, mostly because I was disillusioned with modern astrology and had just discovered traditional astrology. As modern courses go, it's pretty good.

The trick is to find an astrologer whose way of looking at the subject is in line with your own. You may change over time, but in the beginning there should be a certain compatibility between teacher and pupil. This does not mean you have to have similar personalities. You can learn even if your personality clashes with your teacher's. Olivia Barclay's students attest to that. But if you think Karl Jung is the be all end all of pschology and his ideas are compatible with astrology, you may have a problem with Zoller or Frawley.

Tom

Hi All,

I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I recommend Zoller's course highly. I also agree with Tom that you need to think about where you stand and what you are prepared for vis-a-vis tradition and modernity. I can say from my training in ancient/medieval psychology that it (the psychology) is more true to daily life, not to mention useful and practical, than modern psychology is -- and so in that respect ancient/medieval astrology is more useful. There are sacred cows in New Age thinking that you would have to give up in order to learn traditional astrology well. But I think it is well worth it.

I have heard that Sue Ward's horary course is also valuable, though I do not know much about it.

Best,
Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching

Hi,

I finished Zoller's foundation course and have almost finished working on the Diploma Course.

I highly recommend the diploma course (DMA: Diploma in Medieval Astrology).It is worth forgetting everything else.

You may also think of adding to your list the course offered by Robert Corre, who teaches Morin's system of natal astrology.

Cheers,
Sigma

Hi,

I think it is worth reminding people (who don't already know) that any courses with Robert Zoller should be taken through his own site (www.robertezoller.com), and NOT through New Library. He is not associated with them, even though they use his material and claim that he is part of their organization. New Library should be avoided.

Best,
Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching

Astrojin:
I think part of the answer to your question is a question: what is your goal in learing astrology?
IF the answer or part of the answer is "learing to read charts of other people", then a large part of your answer is, "begin to read charts".

No matter how many books, how many courses one takes, until you actively begin to read the charts of people, (usually beginning with people you know who won't mind your asking as many questions as you answer), you simply cannot know if your train is on the right "knowledge" track.

There are so many perspectives in astrology, you could get to the point of never, in this life, finishing the process of "taking courses."
Continue to learn (I still am after 25 years) but make part of the learning experience "giving readings, taking the risk of making predictions based on what you already know." As time goes on you will get better and be more accurate and more HELPFUL, which is my primary intention, though it's not the intention of all astrologers. We all have our own focus, intentions and goals.

Also following time-lines of famous people from history (or the present) and drawing charts for the critical times of their lives is fascinating. It's a no risk way of learing a lot.

Big clue: the ASPECTS. Period.
Lainie
Lainie

Its good to see such positive feedback on Robert Zoller as a teacher.

However, I note he is not currently offering individual tuition to his students.

Morever, the Diploma people are referring to seems to have been replaced by a course entitled 'The New Medieval Astrology Correspondence Course'. ( NMACC)

So are the study conditions previous students are giving feedback on comparable to what new students would get today?

I am not trying to be negative here just questioning if we are comparing like with like?