AP - Tom's article on Morin - feedback & discussion

15 Sept 2003

Sue:

Hi Tom,

I hope everything is okay in your part of the world. I read in the New York Times online that New Jersey is in the way of Hurricane Isabel. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

I read your interesting article on Morin. I knew very little about him but he seems like someone who wasn't afraid to go against the mainstream. He has a very interesting chart. I have a brother born on 23rd Feb and he has a stelleum in Pisces too although not as many planets.

I have a question, well two actually. What does he mean by the exaltation ruler influencing the house under consideration? Is it just what it sounds like ? And when he says that a planet is more influential in the house it occupies, does he still give strong consideration to the house it rules or doesn't he see this as a particularly important consideration?

--------------------------

Tom:

The comment on the exaltation ruler is pretty much what it sounds like. Let's say Aries is on the MC. Mars rules Aries of course, and will be our primary resource for helping determine a suitable career. However, the Sun is the exaltation ruler of Aries and therefore should be considered, as well.

Elsewhere on this list I discussed General Patton's chart. His MC is Pisces. The exaltation ruler is Venus and she is in a Mars sign (Capricorn where Mars is exalted) and she is in the 7th house of war.

The exaltation ruler wouldn't take the place of the domicile ruler, but is considered as well and maybe almost equal.

As for the second question. Let's say Mars is in the 2nd house in Pisces and Aries is on the 3rd cusp. Will Mars have more influence over the native's resources or his siblings or communications? Morin would say resources. Robert Zoller teaches Morin's methods of house interpretation which are a bit too much to go into in a post, but Morin taught that the major influence of a planet is in the house it is posited rather than the house that it rules.

And Hurricane Isabel is, as of this writing, undecided as to her course. If she comes this way, she is expected to strike New Jersey (not directly but that might change as well) on Thursday evening EDT and batter the area until Friday night. We haven't had a big hurricane hit NJ in years, and I suppose we are overdue. We had an awful lot of rain this summer and the ground is drenched. It won't take much to cause heavy flooding.

I have a big Norwegian Maple tree in my back yard that I was told I should consider removing as it is diseased and a good deal of rot has already taken plce. It's a gorgeous shade tree and removing it would cost thousands and I would rather spend that money in England on vacation (I did spend a bunch of it there). Let's hope the storm doesn't push this tree on my house. That might make things drafty.

Thanks for your concern, Sue.

-------------------------

Richard:

Another reader adding my thanks and appreciation. I needed some information on Morin tonight and your article gave me just what I was looking for.

Well done. All of the biographies on this site are superb.

-------------------------

Tom:

Thanks for the kind words Richard. I've read the other biographies and agree they are well done. I'm glad mine helped you, and I know I speak for the others as well when I say thank you for taking the trouble to write.