Weather Indications

Traditional texts are in agreement that in weather prediction Mercury signifies windy weather ? storms when it is afflicted. I remember first noticing this in August 2004 when Mercury was conjunct Mars and both were opposing Uranus ? the weather was very unsettled with a lot of lightning storms (at least at my house). The Sun was in Leo so the violent weather was typical for the season in northern hemispheres.

The main headline of yesterdays Daily Express was ?Beast of a Storm? heads to Britain (yes, we Brits take our weather very seriously). This is the storm that hit the US on Sunday giving New York record snowstorms (thought about you Tom) ? again typical for violent weather when the Sun is in Aquarius. So far there doesn?t seem to be any sign of it, the weather is lovely today though the wind is getting up a bit. Since we had the full Moon on Sunday as Mercury moved to conjoin Uranus perhaps that exaggerated the effects.

I just thought it would be good if people keep an eye on prominent planetary contacts at times of extreme weather to see if the astrological indications are as reliable as traditional astrologers believed them to be. I?ve never studied this in depth so it?s still all quite new to me and I?m interested in other peoples? thoughts and observations.

Deb

Hi Duncan

I presume we are talking about the Julian calendar, in which case the chart for that event is certainly dramatic ? worth posting if someone can confirm I have my calendars right. I note on the link below there is a dispute about the date because it was recorded for 1606 but I think it was usual at that time for the year to change at Easter which would account for such a discrepancy. Do you happen to know the chart details ? I have 17 Pisces rising with the Moon at 14 Pisces, using local time for 20th Jan 1607 (JC).

http://www.severnsolutions.co.uk/twblog/archive/2005

This thing about Mercury sticks in my mind because in medical matters it rules ?excess of wind? and the herbs that it governs cause windiness (beans, peas, etc), so it?s all forms of high winds, both inside and outside according to traditional texts.

I haven?t had time to look at the charts on the war matter BTW, but I'm enjoying reading the posts.

Deb

Ah, just read further down the thread on that page where the following comment confirms this is the right chart:
The two dates for the flood are one and the same. The Julian (i.e.Julius Caesar's) calendar had lost 10 days since Roman times. Pope Gregory proposed a new (Gregorian) calendar which jumped 10 days, and changed the start of the year from April to January (and abolished leap years on 3 out of 4 centuries (e.g. 1800, 1900 were not leap years.) Thus 20th January 1606 in the Julian calendar is 30th January 1607 in the Gregorian. Both are the same Tuesday, and a couple of days after full moon - the point with the highest tides.
The fact that it was the highest of the spring tides that winter probably only added a few inches to what was, in any case a spring tide (i.e. the highest of the month).
While one source claims the sun was "fayrly and bryghtly spred", most mention the strong westerly winds and floods coming down the river Severn. A few weeks earlier, possibly the first emigrants had set off to colonise Virginia with three ships. They had to anchor up in the English Channel on the 5th January, "stormbound for more than a month". They eventually made the journey, where they founded Jamestown, but clearly it was a wet and stormy January.
One thing we need to be careful about is that this man says 20th Jan 1606 by the Julian Calendar is the same as 30th Jan 1607 in the Gregorian calendar but astrological software does not take that view: I?m using Janus and that recognises 20th Jan 1607 (JC) as being the same as 30th Jan 1607 (GC) ? obviously right in the sense that this is the same chart with the 10 day adjustment; but if we just input a date from history without knowing exactly how it was recorded we can easily be a year out.

Aries ingress Solar chart to Australia and Stormy winds

Hello fellows astrologers
Ingress solar chart of March,21 2006 shows exactly what Deb talks in her last post.Mercury and Uranus are in conjunction in the ascendant and made a square with Mars in house 4.Therefore this chart shows clearly the recent cyclone that hits Australia.Mercury in Piscis+ Uranus and Mars=
violent winds that shakes the water and destroys people houses(Mars in house 4).With the Moon in Sag aspecting by Mars we can expect polemics or trouble to government about taxes(Mars lord of 9 square lord of 2) or related to banks and finance;because Mercury rules house 7(strangers) we can expect too some problem with immigrants.Mars with the Moon means fire,"political fire" -Parties against the government.
All the best
Gerson Pelafsky
"Life is a gift,enjoy"