Is this builder honest and should I use him?

10th July 2021, 10:46 AM, Worcester, UK. 17.59 Virgo rising.

My partner needs to employ a decorator to decorate her father's house as he's now moved into a retirement home. He's quoted her what she considers a high price, and feels he's "bossing" her around about what colours to use and what furniture to get. She feels he's already assumed the job is his, but feels uneasy about employing him.

As she aked the question and is my partner, I used the seventh house for her and the turned sixth, i.e the 12th for the decorator. He's signified by Sun in Cancer, having no dignity which immediately set alarm bells ringing. Her co-significator is the Moon, combust, suggesting she'll get "burned" by him.

My verdict would be to avoid this decorator and get someone else.
Any thoughts... Have I missed something...?
H.,

Hello,

If she asked the question, why would you give her the 7th? If someone asks me a question I always make them the querent. If you ask the question then I would give her the 7th. I think it is important to straighten that out before attempting to interpret the chart. Maybe ask yourself which significator fits your partner best before proceeding.

Hi Tanit, thank you for your reply.

I reasoned that as she is my partner asking the queston, I should use the seventh house. If it had been someone I don't know asking the question, I'd have used the ascendant as usual. Is this reasoning flawed? Am I overthinking it? She doesn't really fit either significator, Mercury or Jupiter, being a Cancerian and ruled by the Moon.

Using the ascendant and the radical sixth house, the decorator is signified by Saturn, which is in strong essential dignity, opposite to the testimony using the turned sixth house, so it's really important to know which house to use!
Thanks for pointing this out, though I'm still not sure which is the right starting point!
H.

I would use the Ascendant. If she is the Querent she is it. You mentioned she is a Cancerian. Mercury will soon change to Cancer before it trines Jupiter.

And I would change the builder, for two reasons:

(1) The builder is the Jupiter ruling the 7th House of business partners and the 4th house in the 6th house of hires/small works. It is also the planet that Mercury deals with.

Now Jupiter is both retrograde and in a changeable sign. Mercury herself is going to change sign. Pisces and Jupiter both signify more than one.

On top of these, all angles are mutable.

It would seem, to me, the chart supports an imminent change that has to happen. The aspect only perfects after the change.

As to honesty, Jupiter is a benefic, but being retrograde, a planet can become fickle. Also Jupiter can be overly optimistic and exaggerating. Pisces is not exactly an honest sign. It is also the fall of Mercury (your partner).

(2) They have already talked and she is clearly uncomfortable. I rely on my gut feeling a lot when it comes to people. If a person irks me, and I can't get rid of the discomfort, it usually turns out to be for a good reason. (Doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad person, but things just don't work out right.)

Hope the decoration goes well. Please keep us posted.

Amelia

Hi Amelia and thank you for your considered reply, very interesting. The re-decorating will (eventually!) get done and I will update accordingly.

I agree with you about "gut feeling". She's clearly not trusting him despite the horary and she always goes with her intuition, which for her is strong and invariably correct. She has another decorator coming to give a quote on Tuesday.

I'll take your and Tanit's advice and always give the querent the ascendant from now on, whether they be partner, parent or whatever relation! :)
H.

Harlequin, thank you for the feedback. Yes, I can see how she feels there must be a change for the works to get done. I left the Moon out of it unintentionally. A new Moon like this could be an answer to your question in itself - something's hidden. Guy's not completely trustworthy. A Cancer Moon chart also fits a Cancerian lady and a cardinal sign supports change. I believe your Mrs did the right thing.

Good luck!
Amelia