Sirius Heliacal Rising

SiriusA is about twice as massive as the Sun and has an absolute visual magnitude of +1.42. It is 25 times as luminous as the Sun. It is nicknamed the "Dog Star" because it is part of the constellation Canis Major, Latin for "the greater dog." The expression "dog days" refers to the period from July 3 through Aug. . The system is between 200 and 300 million years old.
The ancient Egyptian New Year began when the spectacularly brilliant star Sopdet (Sothis in Greek; Sirius in Latin) was seen to rise before the Sun in the early morning. This is known as the heliacal rising of the star. During part of the year, you see, Sirius is so close to the Sun that the greater solar light blots out the light of the star and the star seems to disappear from the sky. The heliacal rising is the day that the sun and Sirius are once more far enough apart that—for the first time in months—Sirius may be once again seen in the pre-dawn skies. From at least the time of the Pyramid Texts, the beautiful star Sopdet was associated with the beautiful Goddess Isis. Sirius is the holy star of Isis. And they wanted to celebrate the Birthday of Isis in the traditions of the ancient calendar.

«The “heliacal rising??? is the first day when the star rises and the Sun is far enough below the eastern horizon to make it visible in the morning twilight. In the same way, the “heliacal setting??? is the last day when the star sets and the Sun is far enough below the western horizon to make the star visible in the evening twilight. This is not to be confused with what is called “cosmic rising???, which is around 14 Cancer In the latter case, it is not possible to see the star, due to the light of the Sun.»
Sirius has always been considered a very important star, and it was watched diligently. It is also one of the primary stars of navigation. The importance of calculating the heliacal rising and setting of Sirius was recognized in Ancient times and is still relevant today. As is true of any star, Sirius is only visible between the time of its helical rising and setting. Conversely, it is invisible from the time of heliacal setting until its heliacal rising.»
(James Clark - https://classicalastrologer.me/heliacla ... c-2000-ad/ )

James wrote his article above in 2003 whilst in conversation with Giuseppe Bezza.
http://www.cieloeterra.it/testi.html#stelle - Section Stars and Constellations

Also, Deborah Houlding wrote an article about Sirius
https://www.skyscript.co.uk/canmaj.html
«This 1st magnitude binary star is the brightest in the heavens, capable of surpassing all the planets in brilliance except Venus and Jupiter. It was held in the highest regard by the Egyptians, not only because of its brilliance, but because its heliacal rising coincided with the annual inundation of the Nile. Its influence was listed by Ptolemy as like Jupiter and Mars: elevating and active. Because of its heliacal rising in the middle of summer, ancient cultures associated Sirius with the fierceness of the Sun's summer heat, blaming the the Dog-star for the high occurrence of heat-stroke, fever and 'canine madness' during the summer months.»

The heliacal risings and settings occur with different altitudes of the Sun below the horizon.

When does Sirius, the Star of Isis, rise in your area?
«So precisely when does Sirius’ heliacal rising occur? Well, it depends on where and when you are located in the world and in time. The further north of the equator you are, the later in the year you will see Sirius rise; and due to the precession of the equinoxes, the date of the star’s rising shifts over time.
Here is a site designed by a French doctor of astronomy with an interest in ancient Egypt. She offers software for purchase that lets you calculate any star’s heliacal rising. But here’s the good part: you can sample the calculator—on Sirius—for free. Here’s the link. (Put in your email and the password softtests) All you need to know is your latitude and altitude.»
https://isiopolis.com/2011/08/01/when-d ... your-area/
And link for the calculation
http://www.culturediff.org/english/clientareatest1.php
Fill in Year considered
Latitude of the observation site in degrees – Your Latitude
Altitude of thé observation site (in meters) – Use the Altitude of the Sun
Visual acuity of the observer : 1,0
Common name of the star : Sirius

Back to the article of James Clark who refers us to the website of Giuseppe Bezza

http://www.cieloeterra.it/testi.html#stelle
Section Stars and Constellations – Some texts on the heliacal rising of Sirius

Weather and Forecast

The forecasts drawn at the rise of Sirius are inscribed in the context of a year marked not by the equinoxes and solstices, but by the phases of the stars.

The seven nights following the heliacal rising of Sirius are remembered by al-Bîrûnî (The Chronology of Ancient Nations, transl. by CE Sachau, London 1879, pp. 259ff) As "caniculars": "In each of these days they [the peasants and sailors] draw conclusions regarding some changes in the weather in the months of autumn and winter and part of spring and these changes occur for the most part leaves at dusk and dawn. It is believed that these days are, compared to the year, what the critical days are with respect to acute diseases, in which the crisis occurs, or the judgment regarding the disease, from which one can feed hope or fear about the outcome ".

The second text is by Hephaestion of Thebes 1,23, an astrologer of the fourth century AD

The ancient Egyptian sages also observed the rising of Sirius on the twenty-fifth day of the month epiphí, and established the relative judgments, which, being many, I will limit myself here to expounding some of the most evident.
Therefore, when Sirius shines like gold at his rise, he shows himself advantageous to everything; in fact it shows the town the abundance and the best things and shows according to proportion and at the right moment the rising and falling of the waters, and also the harvest and the rest.
On the other hand, if the star rises surrounded by darkness, everything is disappointed: the products are scarce and what is conceived aborts.
When the star rises large and bright and northern winds blow, it means an increase of the waters according to proportion and the harvest is good and abundant and the king of the country will triumph over his antagonists.
If instead it rises gloomy and small, and northern winds blow, an expedition out of the country will be undertaken which will not end favorably, the growth of the Nile will be proportionate, honors and dignities will deteriorate.
If it rises large and bright and winds blow from the west and from noon, it indicates disagreement and mortality, the rise in the water level will be mediocre and portends famine.
If it rises large and bright while winds blow from the north and east, the king of the country will abandon his throne and remain hidden and there will be war;
If, on the other hand, it shows itself small when the Borea and Apeliote blow, there will be a right increase and it means that the land of the Ethiopians will be taken by force.
If it rises blackish it indicates a pestilence, yellowish the diseases, reddish the war and the killings.

It is also necessary to observe the Moon and the five stars: their configuration, their motion and their complexion towards Sirius in its rising. In fact, the complex indicates the events while the configuration and the quality of the motion or the stations carry out the action with greater or lesser force. Each star that is close to the apogee participates in a certain way in the strength of the superior star and the one that is close to the perigee transfers it to the lower one, while every star that moves medium in its motion preserves its virtue intact in its associate with the other stars. When the star of Saturn is at its apogee it becomes more cooling and thus disposes earthly things and when the Moon is in perigee it alters earthly things more than in its other positions.
It is therefore necessary to observe the arrangement of the stars and their motion and effectiveness. Each of them means <precipuamente> in its own stations and the event they produce has greater vigor especially in the second station; as for the Moon, it produces more sensitive meanings after its defluxions from the stars, and the remaining stars also operate in this way between them.
If Saturn and Mars are in the ecliptic places of the Moon without the intervention of the benefits, then they are the cause of plagues, especially in the feet of Gemini or in the first stars of the breast of Cancer and in the Crib and in the breast of Leo and in the dark region near the breast of the Virgo and in the extreme parts of Libra and in the southern parts of its plates and in the forehead of Scorpio and in the stars that are in the hand of Sagittarius and in the two stars that are on the tail of Capricorn.
The same things mean the eclipses of the Sun and the Moon in these regions; and if they are surrounded by evil and Mercury is afflicted and the benefits do not bear witness, then it produces the most fatal things, particularly in the tropical signs; since the eclipses in these places, and especially those of the Sun, produce universal calamities, while those that occur in the sign of Leo destroy the realms and sterilize the rivers.

In 2019, Sirius heliacal rising fell in the 6th House of China.
Sirius is on the North Node opposing Saturn/Pluto in Capricorn in the axis 6/12 and trine Neptune in Pisces. A double-whammy: Sirius afflicted by malefics and conjunct the Nodal axis where Eclipses happened.

To summarize, shouldn't we regard Sirius heliacal rising as important as equinoxes, solstices and syzygies in the study of Mundane Astrology.
Some will argue that this refers to something specific to the Egyptians and the Nile but I think there is something to reflect upon for our modern world.

Last edited by Ouranos on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blessings!

Thanks for your writing on Sirius, interesting linking it’s appearance to the Saturn Pluto NN afflictions which would suggest a eclipsing of the light a reflection on what is going on since then. Maybe next year we may get a Jupiter trine the Sirius rise better times.
Last year I completed my room extension roof work topped off with a pyramid skypod to allow more light into the room. I felt it highly significant that I completed as Sirius rose on a day that was sacred to the Egyptians to celebrate the light. I completed the floor on the winter solstice eclipse. Unconsciously I realised that I was working with the heavenly cycles & now it’s finished I can sense an imbued energy almost making it a sacred space.

Thank you Zosma,

Of interest would be to compare the theories to predict world events and the astrologers who favor one system over another.
And they all have their value.

**Ptolemy used the eclipses and the syzygies along with the sign rulership of the countries (ex: Spain is Sagittarius)
**Abu Ma'shar who introduced the Great Conjunctions.
**Theophilus of Edessa who codified the entrance of the Sun in the Equinoxes and Solstices.
**The Egyptians who where guided by the Fixed Stars (notably Sirius)

For the pandemic, I have to give it to the Egyptians here.
Last edited by Ouranos on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings!

Yes the Egyptian use of Sirius is a revelation for me,
It was interesting that Ali A Olomi revealed that Abu Ma'shar said that the Jupiter Saturn conjunction in an air sign would coincide with plagues, & that even though the conjunction occurs later in the year as in this case December
The effect would begin as the Sun enters Aries at the Spring Equinox of the year of the great conjunction.March 20th which I believe is when the lockdowns began in UK.
The more I meditate on the Aquarian conjunction the more concerned I become, especially the great reset which will be targeted at the plebs, the Elite will just gain more advantages.

Depending where you live on Earth, this year Sirius Heliacal rising is happening on the Full Moon of August 22nd.
For all Egyptian fans out there, it would be interesting to watch the colors surrounding Sirius (around 14 Cancer) to see how the year will unfold. It should be visible before sunrise early in the morning. I have drawn the FM for Washington, DC.
This year Sirius 14 Cancer sits in between Uranus in Taurus and Mercury/Mars in Virgo. Quite a contrast with the Heliacal rising of 2019.
And
With the Moon in the 6th House, public health and job market news. Conjunct Jupiter R opposing the Sun, Clergy and High Courts may well reject some demands from the Head of State (Sun in the 12th). And Jupiter ruling the 4th, we see already that Housing, real estate and living conditions are a concern right now in US. Regulus(nature Mars/Jupiter) near the Sun and Fomalhaut (nature Mercury/Venus) near the Moon are considered Royal Stars.
Adding Mercury/Mars on the ASC in Virgo, Communication and transportation, younger people and teachers and health workers will take a stand.
Blessings!

As I read from Casey Claar, an observer of Sirius heliacal rising at sunset in 2021 located in Pacific Palisades, CA
https://consciousnessexploration.com/20 ... e-crystal/

“At this time, Sirius rises in the morning sky, conjunct to your Sun, and for this creative moment your Planet has two suns, a white/gold sun and a blue sun ( Sirius ). In this magical energy the Planet also aligns with the Lions Gate in the Constellation of Leo and the Royal Star Regulus, also known as the “Heart of the Lion???, which ushers in a new cycle and timeline for Earth.???

And here is what he saw looking at Sirius through a crystal. The face of a Lion!
Amazing!
Blessings!

Sirius

Ouranos wrote:
To summarize, shouldn't we regard Sirius heliacal rising as important as equinoxes, solstices and syzygies in the study of Mundane Astrology. Some will argue that this refers to something specific to the Egyptians and the Nile but I think there is something to reflect upon for our modern world.
Thanks Ouranos for your thoughts on Sirius. Here are link discussions about some interesting astronomical anomalies pertaining to our Sun with Sirius for reflections for "our modern world."

https://www.solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4534

Thank you for sharing SteveS,
Very interesting post.
Jung thought that a myth and his archetype reveals a sacred dimension, from the latin sacer ' which cannot be touched' and it is ok if they remain a mystery.
More recent, the Italian astrophysician Massimo Teodorani said that 'They are the portals of the collective unconscious, and to connect with them through synchrone events allows each individual to re-balance his inner self and consequently his physical health.'(Synchronicity...)
And these myths, many transmitted by oral tradition, take different forms like The Cavern of Plato having evolved to The Matrix in our modern world.
Blessings!

Hi Quranos,

I'm an Archaeoastronomer, you can call me Archi for short, LOL!
I read your comments with interest, and thought i would give a reply, but i'm not using projected fixed stars to do this but parans that is the same as astronomy:-
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10705808/

They have been around much further back than 1,300 BC, obviously astrologers debate what to use, i don't wish to enter this debate but to show the methods on link below:-
https://astrologeratlarge.com/resources ... hing-else/

Firstly i have to set the Calendars out in detail:-
The Egyptian Calendar
The Civil Calendar that the ancient Egyptian's used was 365 days long and although they knew this was approx. 6 hours too short, it was against religious practices to add a leap year every four years. In 238 BC the Greek Ptolemaic rulers saw that the Egyptian calendar was nearly an accurate measure of the year, and thus decreed that every 4th year should be 366 days long, however the general populance didn't accept the ruling due to superstition, hence it was put on hold till the introduction of the Julian Calendar on 1st January 0045 BC.
I have spinal injuries and get tired writing, so i will paste the rest below:-

Most general readers think that the heliacal rising of Sirius denoted the start of every year in the Egyptian Calendar, which simply wasn’t the case, as it was a “wandering year???, and held in place by their knowledge, and complicated adjustments involving the Moon etc. The ancient Egyptians knew that Sirius would rise with the Sun in the same location after 1460 years, a period called a “Sothic Cycle???, and very like a Millennium to them. Obviously in dealing with chronology and dates that have meaning to us with our calendar, this is very difficult as the original location of the first Heliacal rising of Sirius in the Egyptian calendar is often debated by historians and archaeologists, and measurements between Sirius (Isis) and the Sun (Ra), the basis of religion changed from the early years of the calendar, this was just purely upon what you could see, an example would be how we read Hesiod in Work and Days…???But when Orion and Sirius are come into mid-heaven, and rosy-fingered Dawn see’s Arcturus, then cut off the grape clusters, Perses, and bring them home…the clue is “Rosy-Fingered Dawn???, early star alignments wasn’t made by a cosmic rising Sun, being half way on the horizon in the East, mainly because it was too bright to see the stars at that point, they were calculating with the Sun below the horizon, when a slight colour of orange appears in the East, however by 0045 BC, mathematics had advanced, IT WAS POSSIBLE TO CHART THE SUN BEING HALF WAY ON THE HORIZON, and although you wouldn’t see Sirius in the night sky at that point as it was too bright, they probably knew that Sirius was rising too, this is a Cosmic Alignment!

Obviously the Julian Calendar started on 1st January 0045 BC, the Sothic Cycle wasn’t used as it had a leap year, this means for several centuries after, if an alignment had been put into the Julian Calendar, we would see it, until it was moved on by precession astronomy.

We now see that how early humans valued the stars can be different to when mathematical skills kick in, some historians have conceded to the Roman writer Censorinus, that wrote that the Egyptian New Year fell on July 20th in the Julian Calendar in 139 AD, which was a heliacal rising of Sirius in Egypt, but this is by the eye, not cosmic alignment, the Egyptian priests liked the old ways that also didn’t involve leap years, however some say it is possible to calculate possible origin date of the Egyptian Calendar by using the Sothic Cycle, i find it dubious, but previous dates have been mentioned, like 2,782 BC and 4,242 BC.

This cycle was first noticed by Eduard Meyer in 1904, who then combed known Egyptian inscriptions and written materials to find any mention of the calendar dates when Sirius rose with the Sun, he found six of them, on which much of the conventional chronology is based, other researchers find this method dubious, you must make up your own mind, this is difficult for me to comment, the much latter paran alignments that are cosmic are easier and involve the Sun being half way on horizon, any eye observation is liable of a differing set of values in ancient times!
The calendar of 365 days long started on “The First of Thoth???, and had five days added at the end of 12 months of 30 days, Osiris had his birthday in these five days at the end of the year, but it must be remembered not to compare with our Gregorian calendar too much and Christ’s birthday….our calendar ends in the Winter, the ancient Egyptian one ended in the Summer!

It has been argued that before the joining of Lower and Upper Egypt around 3,150 BC, the two countries developed their own calendars. In lower Egypt , the Winter Solstice was regarded as the birth place of their Sun god Ra, in Upper Egypt the year was measured as the time between the flooding of the Nile, which was important for farming communities living along the banks, where they noticed Sirius, the Isis star rising with the Sun.
THE ROMAN CALENDAR

The original Roman Calendar is thought to have been a lunar calendar, based on one of the Greek lunar calendars. The ancient Greeks started the day from sunset to sunset, the Romans and Egyptians started the day at sunrise. The ancient Roman calendar was closely linked to the science of the sky and gods, and Claudius Ptolemaeus, and was used throughout the life time of the democratic period in Rome.

Ptolemy’s teachings were based on those of Plato and Pythagoras, who thought that the Earth was the centre of the universe, and the Sun, Moon and planets all revolved around a stationary Earth at the centre of the cosmos. The Romans divided the day into 24 hours, 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of the night, obviously this didn’t run from midnight, but sunrise to sunrise.

The Roman hour varied according to the season, during the Summer Solstice , around 21st June, when the period of daylight is longer than the night, each hour was 1 hour 16 minutes long in Britain, during the short days of the Winter Solstice, around 21st December, the daylight hour was shorter, being only 44 minutes long, within the Roman Empire the hour was adjusted according to the difference in daylight time, the exact hour of 60 minutes only happened around the Equinox’s, the Vernal Equinox around 21st March and the Autumnal Equinox around 21st September, however these are Gregorian calendar settings, Sosigenes, the Julian Calendar specialist originally wanted the Winter Solstice to fall on 25th December.

We still retain 3 days from ancient Rome, being Dies Saturni, meaning day of Saturn and Saturday, Dies Lunae, become Moon Day and Monday and finally Dies Solis become SUNday, other days of the week become entwined with viking mythology and therefore harder to explain from the latin. Like most of the ancient Mediterranean world, the Romans believed that each day of the week were ruled by a god, which related to the known planets being Saturn, Jupiter, Sun, Mars, Mercury and the Moon.

Apart from a Moon calendar not being accurate, the ancient Roman calendar was subject to political tinkering by the Roman Senate….no wonder Julius Caesar was looking for a “good calendar???, as he was a student of astronomy…..this leads us to “The Julian Calendar???.
SOSIGENES

There is little known about the architect of the Julian Calendar other than he was a student at the Great Library of Alexandria, and was an Alexandrian Greek like Cleopatra, but obviously he was an astronomer. Some scholars say that Sosigenes is credited with a book on the orbit of Mercury, that suggests that he knew Mercury orbited the Sun, and wrote a book on revolving spheres, other scholars disagree as Encyclopedia Britannia says this was a different Sosigenes who lived during the end of the second century AD.
THE JULIAN CALENDAR

When Julius Caesar visited Egypt, Cleopatra VII discussed with him how the Egyptians set their time by the Sun rather than the Moon, and introduced him to the astronomer Sosigenes, he told Caesar about Cleopatra’s ancestor, Ptolemy III’s calendar where he had tried to impliment a leap year every 4 years, Caesar liked it, dropping the Roman months, and he and Cleopatra negotiated the fine details such as the date of New Year. One reason why 1st January was adopted was from 0153 BC, the Roman Consuls had been elected to rule their regions on this date.

Pliny, the ancient Roman historian wrote something very curious about these times that is interesting to the research of this blog, “There were three main schools, the Chaldaeans, the Egyptians and the Greeks, and to these a fourth was added in our country by Caesar during his dictatorship, (Mystery School?), who with the assistance of the learned astronomer Sosigenes brought the separate years back into conformity with the course of the Sun???. You may wonder if Caesar set up one of the Ancient religious mystery schools, that the Western Mystery Tradition is made up from, being a gnosis of secret religious esoteric information included from the Hermetic secrets from Egypt to the Eleusian mysteries that originated in Greece. These secret fraternies have existed up to the present times like the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

The Hopeless Roman Calendar was sick in Julius Caesar’s time, partly due to political tinkering, being truly out of synch with the seasons, so the year 0046 BC was made to be 445 days long, which was called the “The Year of Confusion???, the new Julian Calendar started on 1st January 0045 BC, the Julian year of 365 and a quarter days was too long by 11 minutes and 12 seconds, but this must have been known to Caesar and Sosigenes, perhaps they thought that this could be left to future generations to correct, as Hipparchus had calcalated that a leap year every 4 years would create a small error, over a hundred years before. However the Julian Calendar was a stunning calcalation for the ancient world, it must be remembered that few owned a watch in the 20th Century that was accurate to 11 minutes in a year until the quartz watch was invented, and that was twenty centuries later!

We mustn’t inflict Cleopatra with the morality of the 21st century, from our standpoint we could say she was “a boil a bunny girl???, incest was standard in Egyptian royal circles, she did murder brothers and sisters to become Queen of Egypt, and she did play a deadly poker game with the most powerful empire in the world during her era and used sex to bring Julius Caesar and Mark Antony under her spell, but also we could say she was a patriot, and although being Greek, she knew many dialects, really did think she was Isis on Earth, and thought the gods of Egypt were only the true gods, so did she sneak Sirius/Isis into the New Year of the Julian Calendar?….the clue is the Romans and Egyptians used sunrise, but Cleopatra was Greek, we are joining concepts here as the Greeks used sunset as the start of the day, when superstition ruled Egyptian priests, they would have made New Year in the Summer months when only by eye Sirius could be seen when the Sun was below the horizon, but we must debate if Sosigenes could construct a calendar that was only 11 minutes out of being a true year, they must have known the horizons and how to place a “Cosmic Alignment???…..Greek style this would be the Sun half way on horizon setting as Sirius rises, even if this couldn’t be seen because the sky was too bright. Greek style day start for 1st January 0045 BC would be 31st December 0046 BC at sunset, we must look at the Great Cities down the Nile, Luxor that then was Thebes, Memphis that is now under Cairo suburbs and Alexandria…..can we find an Isis/Sirius alignment that probably Cleopatra would have wanted, did she sneak in an Egyptian Goddess under Caesar’s nose in the Julian Calendar, as he used sunrise.
The alignment works for Thebes but was probably used at Aswan which i will talk about later

Graph below on link for Thebes Luxor on 1st January 0045 BC using ancient Greek day start being previous sunset:-
https://wintertriangle.files.wordpress. ... lendar.jpg
Left tap on picture above to enlarge.
Spinal injury gives lots of time for research.
Other interests include the paranormal.

Thank you Archi for your comments and also for bringing your scope of knowledge as an Archaeoastronomer to this Forum.
We need more of this as astrologers.

I have a few questions for you if you please,

1) When you say "IT WAS POSSIBLE TO CHART THE SUN BEING HALF WAY ON THE HORIZON", does it correspond to a Heliacal rising or some other naming?

2) Further down below
"The calendar of 365 days long started on “The First of Thoth???, and had five days added at the end of 12 months of 30 days, Osiris had his birthday in these five days at the end of the year, but it must be remembered not to compare with our Gregorian calendar too much and Christ’s birthday….our calendar ends in the Winter, the ancient Egyptian one ended in the Summer!"

Can we figure out a specific day? Like when the Sun Ingress in Cancer or any other reference point like a Fixed Star?

Appreciate your feedback and I hope you will post some articles of your own here.

Best to you,
Ouranos
Blessings!

Hi Ouranus,
Please forgive if i paste some parts of this, and i will give links to this, i have a spinal cord injury and typing is difficult, my hands dont work properly,please note below:-

"After the occupation of Alexander the Great in 332 BCE, Egypt came under Hellenistic rule. In the city of Alexandria—founded by Alexander during the 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE—scholars created Horoscopic astrology by merging Babylonian astrology with the Egyptian tradition of the Decanic zodiac.

This system included the Babylonian zodiac wheel, but incorporated the Egyptian concept of dividing it into 36 sections of 10 degrees each. The Egyptians put emphasis on the rising decan, the Greek system of planetary Gods, sign rulership, and the four elements. In ancient Hellenistic astrology, the calculation of the degree of the Eastern horizon rising against the backdrop of the ecliptic at a specific moment is known as “the ascendant.??? In ancient Greek, the word for “ascendant??? is horoskopos, which is where the English word “horoscope??? comes from."
https://mymodernmet.com/history-of-astrology/

Things were gradually changing in Egypt at the time of the New Julian Calendar in 0045 BC, the old Egyptian star gazers waited till the first orange spot of the Sun appeared in the sky, which was still dark enough to see Sirius.

But the Greek star gazers of 0045 BC were able to place both the Sun and Sirius on the horizon exactly by plotting it by calculation without actually viewing it happen, this is called a Cosmic alignment and took over from the old term of heliacal rising. We use today one degree if a star is rising with the Sun, but you wouldn't be able to see it, the sky would be too bright.

When the Julian Calendar started on 1st January 0045 BC the Solstices and Equinox's were set like below:-

The winter solstice was December 25
The vernal equinox, March 25
The summer solstice, June 24
The autumnal equinox, September 24

The reason that we don't still follow these dates are that the Julian Calendar had errors and in 1582 the errors were put right with the Gregorian Calendar, 10 days were taken out of the Calendar, but they didn't go back to 0045 BC but only back to the First Council of Nicaea:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

At the time of Christ 25th December was the Winter Solstice, so is likely a false birthday but added on to the myths and legends surrounding the Winter Solstice.

Please note i'm not trying to say Christ didn't exist regarding religious astrologers, i seek no heated debate.

Recently i started researching Thornborough Henge which appears to be aligned to the Belt of Orion, i will keep you informed of progress:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornborough_Henges

The world of Archaeoastronomy is changing, we now for free can use Stellarium although tricky to use for beginners:-
https://stellarium.org/
You then can download landscapes and ancient tombs etc and fit it all together to see what the ancients saw with the stars, it is fascinating:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7HwasHa7Y
Spinal injury gives lots of time for research.
Other interests include the paranormal.