kamala harris - solar and lunar returns - SIDEREAL

i wrote this out yesterday, but thought it would be fun to share as it is astrological in nature - mostly! i haven't included charts, but can if someone wants to see one of them... i have shared one lunar return for july 2021.. that is it for the moment.. this is all done in sidereal - krishnamurthi ayanamsa..

apparently she, not biden, has been making many of the calls to the foreign political powers.. i find this and more interesting..

i opted to take a look at her primary directions.. the most significant in 2020 was sun-saturn opposition... i have a theory that when planets are in favourable relationship with one another in the natal chart - when they come into contact in the directions, it generally works out favourably.. now - i realize this is thin to rest my case on, but i do feel that the powerful brokers who control the dem party wanted her in the position of vp... she ran at about 1 % in the dem nomination process and was hammered by comments from tulsi gabbard as memory serves... later - she appears as bidens running mate which leads me to believe biden is following a higher agenda... at any rate - this is the most significant direction, followed closely by IC to mercury for nov 2019.. this is obviously an important connection too.. the upcoming direction of importance is for 2022 of saturn directed to moon - conjunct.. january 2022..

so with this in mind, i wanted to go over the solar return that brought her into the white house - sr of 2020...the profected year is aquarius - saturn is in aquarius in her natal chart and close to the degree of the midheaven, but from a whole sign pov - pisces is the 10th house and aq the 9th... the idea of her prominent saturn which i consider strong in aquarius and close to the midheaven degree as highlighted makes sense... the muntha lands in the 6th house of the solar return chart which would not be considered favourable... however most of the planets in the solar return chart for 2020 connect to it favourably.. neptune is also in aquarius which makes sense to me from the pov of her being put in this position of power via what i consider an ambiguous manner from some behind the scenes maneuvering...

the solar return angles are virgo rising and gemini midheaven... the planets that connect most closely to this are the mars-jupiter square in pisces-sag... mars is retrograde in the sr chart and in cancer in the natal chart which says to me that putting a focus on it is unhelpful for her.. it didn't seem to make a difference in terms of her being elected on the biden-harris ticket though... next we have the planets from the solar return chart making a connection to her natal angles.. this would be venus-neptune opposition squared onto the nodal axis and fairly close to by degree, but not in the same signs... again neptune shows up in yet another context here and is very close to exactly opposite her natal venus as well... the other planet in the solar return making contact with the angles is moon at 9 sag - in an 8 degree conjunct with the descendant... moon is her 2nd house ruler and is the focus of the primary direction for early next year...

looking at the lunar returns, at present the feb 16th has moon conjunct midheaven in a favourable looking set up which does connect with her making the phone calls with the heads of state... the lunar return for mar 16th however looks more problematic with mars on the angles, the moon landing in the 6th house of the lunar return chart and a few other lineups - some favourable which might be enough to offset this.... both the april and july lunar returns put pluto on the midheaven which happens to be moving into a close square with her natal moon... the lunar return for july also has mars exactly square the ascendant degree from 19 cancer-mars to 20 aries rising.. this puts mars close to a natal mars return in her chart... saturn happens to be at 18 capricorn and forms a direct opposition and square onto the rising degree as well... if i am correct in my surmising, there may appear some conflict to do with biden at this point in time whereby harris is in a greater position of tension... i don't trust the data off bidens chart enough to take a closer look ( yet ) at this time frame for his chart... that said, mars-saturn oppositions aren't helpful on the world stage and one could imagine some conflict on the world stage that gets highlighted for any number of reasons - mostly with my cynical attitude this would involve wall st and the military industrial complex!, but leaving that aside, it will be a curious summer that we are headed into if this opposition has any bearing on anything... harris's chart is highlighted in it all as well...

i haven't looked further.. i generally don't work with lunar returns, but i am developing a greater curiousity for them... i do want to go deeper with the solar return charts.. kamala harris's sr for 2021 is quite interesting with sr ascendant exactly opposite the natal ascendent while sr jupiter is at 28 cap exactly opposite her natal mars position... jupiter and mercury in this 2021 sr are both very close to stationary and going to move direct.. again i see stationary planets are very important.. that these 2 are going to be moving direct is a positive sign in itself for her in the following year as i read it...

that is as far as i have gone.. i do believe harris has been groomed to be the next president.. just how this works out, i am not very sure about... maybe i am even wrong in my surmising her being groomed for this role....

let me take this a step further....

what in this 2020 solar return chart for kamala harris, prior to the usa election, implied that kamala harris would win the 2020 usa vp position? i can't see it myself.. but i would like to be persuaded....

as i mentioned in the above post - saturn to the opposition of sun would be the obvious primary direction indicating greater recognition and a rise in status, if you believe that saturn on the midheaven in her chart and any developments coming out of the directions would bring this energy to the foreground.... this direction took place march 3 2020 to be exact.. on a biwheel this direction looks like what you see below... natal chart on the inside and directions for march 3 2020 on the outside.. you can see how saturn is directed to the opposition of natal sun.. short of this direction, nothing explains to me how kamala harris became vp via the astrology... i would be happy if someone provided some alternative astrological insight to strengthen the case for astrology here...

the search for an answer continues!

this is kamala harris's chart relocated to washington dc... it seems especially fitting! the first women vice president and first women of colour.. we see the prominent moon on the midheaven which also happens to be the ruler of the ascendant... i can't think of more fitting symbolism and imagery!

this is still not helping me with the arrival at how exactly she made it to this position astrologically, although it helps some... it strengthens my viewpoint that relocation charts are important..

while i am at it..... using the relocated place of washington dc. i have taken a look at the primary directions for the time period.... below is a picture of the directions in operation from approx 2019 to 2021...

you will note, if interested that mercury to the opposition of saturn ( converse ) happens at least 1 year earlier using the relocated chart..

it looks like this in a comparison view..

i have no conclusions on all this at the moment..

James wrote:
What in this 2020 solar return chart for Kamala Harris, prior to the usa election, implied that Kamala Harris would win the 2020 usa vp position? I can't see it myself.. but I would like to be persuaded....
We would all love to see Jupiter and the Sun shining high in the sky when a candidate wins an election, but astrology is much more subtle than that. Every victory chart is different, and we have to be precise in analyzing the chart. I don’t think it’s possible to analyze Kamala’s solar return without relating it to the natal chart.

Perhaps the question we should have asked is if defeat is shown in her 2020 solar return? No, there is no signature for defeat in the chart. I’m posting her solar return chart again here which I discussed on the sidereal forum with added notes.

First, Kamala will be running Rahu dasa/Mercury bhukti until the end of 2022. In the natal chart Rahu is powerful on the ascendant, and Mercury as ascendant lord is very well placed in the 5th with the Sun. Mercury is in Rahu’s star which links it closely with the ascendant. Rahu and Mercury mutually support each other as Rahu is in a star of Mars which is in Mercury mansion. (I tend to use Vimshottari dasas and sub periods as a substitute for western directions in timing.)

So returning to the solar return, the radix ascendant and both natal and transiting Rahu are in the 10th house (cusp as middle of house), and transiting Mercury (ascendant lord in both natal and SR) is trine the MC.

Mercury is in Rahu’s star and its own sub, so Mercury is supporting Rahu in the 10th. Lacking any more blatant victory signatures, Mercury’s configuration has to be considered as powerful, especially since it is the ascendant lord in both the radix and solar return charts.

The other prominent SR planetary configuration is transiting Jupiter on the SR IC in trine to natal Venus (which is part of the potent Venus-Pluto-Uranus stellium in the radix 4th house). Jupiter and this stellium are all in Venus stars. Venus disposits radix Sun and Mercury, and is in its own star in the radix 4th house (digbala). In retrospect this can very well represent the move to the vice presidential mansion in Washington. At any rate Jupiter is Kamala’s 10th house lord, and is influencing this potent angular radix stellium with Venus in the 4th.

Well, these comments are mostly in retrospect which doesn’t count for predictive astrology. So let’s look ahead at 2024-25 and ask the question: Will Kamala Harris be inaugurated as president in 2025? (next post)

Hint: The Krishnamurti ascendant degree of Kamala's 2024 solar return is the degree of the Moon in the 2025 inaugural chart, 24+ Virgo.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

therese

thanks for your comments... i am going to be short... i am not questioning that she is now the VP.. i am questioning the astrology and conclusions that are offered via the astrology of how she got this position... i failed to mention in my posts about the dasa and sub dasa period - rahu/mercury, which changes dec 2022 to rahu/ketu... from this point it could be argued she is in quite a favourable period...in fact i believe i mentioned this prior to the election as well..

one has to steep discount mars in the 2020 sr chart which you have successfully done by ignoring it! that would be mars in the 7th retro in pisces, squared onto the gemini midheaven and making the 8th house aspect to the sun/mercury conjunction in libra too! also one has to discount the retrograde mercury in a conjunction to the sun, unless indian astrology has a special attitude towards this.. in fact mars is in a closer relationship to the angles then jupiter is, but i appreciate your pointing out jupiter here.. i referred to it all in my earlier posts as a mars- jupiter square hitting the angles..

astrologers can rationalize pretty much anything after the fact.. i am not disputing that either! i am interested in challenging astrologers over the basis for their conclusions before or after the fact regardless... thanks for your comments either way! james

James wrote:
One has to steep discount mars in the 2020 sr chart which you have successfully done by ignoring it! that would be mars in the 7th retro in pisces, squared onto the gemini midheaven and making the 8th house aspect to the sun/mercury conjunction in libra too! also one has to discount the retrograde mercury in a conjunction to the sun, unless indian astrology has a special attitude towards this.. in fact mars is in a closer relationship to the angles then jupiter is...
Long ago I learned certain principles of interpreting solar and lunar return charts from the Fagan sidereal school. One primary principle/axiom is that only specific planets matter in return charts, those that are close to angles or make close aspects to other planets. If we try to find meanings to every planet in a return chart, we are faced with mass confusion.

I have expanded the Fagan principles somewhat to include planets closely conjunct any (equal) house cusp which would include planets which make trine or sextile aspects to an angles. Today's Fagan school astrologers mostly pay no attention to those aspects which I think is a mistake.

So I don't pay attention to Mars (except that it may represent the conflicts of an election as it's in the 7th house.) I did purposely ignore Uranus on the 8th cusp because I'm not sure yet how to interpret Uranus in a return chart.

So considering only cuspal planets and close aspects (within 3 degrees??) in the Harris 2020 solar return we have Mercury on cusp 2 in trine to the MC/NG and Jupiter trine natal Venus. Radix Venus is caught between the transiting nodes. It's true that radix Asc/Rahu isn't close to a cusp, and I did make an exception for that as both nodes were in the 10th house. Because of that distance from a cusp I didn't make a prediction for this election. But (in retrospect) with nothing in the chart to indicate defeat I would probably have considered that fact as important.

I'm still experimenting with KP principles. But as an example transiting Rahu is in a Mars star. Mars is in a Mercury star, so Mars itself will bring the results of Mercury. So we're back to Mercury trine the MC/NG. It would be argued then that Mars supports Mercury. KP does tend to pay little or no attention to such details as domicile rulership, exaltation, fall, retrograde planets, etc. in comparison to nakshatra/mansion rulers. Also in general aspects as such aren't emphasized either. So Krishnamurti and Khullar have tossed many traditional principles of astrology.

Isn't it amazing?! Because there is so little interest in astrological research, we still have little solid data to go on in interpreting charts. Experienced well seasoned astrologers were still split down the middle in predicting the winner of this past U.S. election.

James wrote:
One has to steep discount mars in the 2020 sr chart which you have successfully done by ignoring it! that would be mars in the 7th retro in pisces, squared onto the gemini midheaven and making the 8th house aspect to the sun/mercury conjunction in libra too!
I thought I should say a few more words about Mars. I wouldn't pay attention to the retrograde status of Mars as I don't know what to do with retrogrades, and Mars in Pisces is in its own triplicity. I would count the square to Rahu in the 10th, but not an aspect to the MC as it's too wide.

If we simply take the position of Mars in the 7th square Rahu, this can simply point to the extreme controversy of the U.S. election. In my opinion it doesn't say anything about the success or lack of it for Kamala Harris. We have to rely on Mercury (Asc and SR lord) and Jupiter (radix 10th lord) for that.

Kamala Harris in 2024-2025

If Kamala Harris is a U.S. presidential candidate in 2024, her success is assured based on her 2024 solar return and inaugural ennead charts. Here is her 2024 solar return which is also the ennead for the election date. As I read the chart, all standard configurations for success are clearly visible in the chart:

Jupiter (Kamala’s radix 10th house lord) is in 9th trine the SR ascendant and approaching the radix ascendant. Jupiter is with the Moon which conjoins natal Rahu in the 1st. Moon is in a Mars star, and Mars is at the MC. Jupiter is in a Mars star, and Mars is in a star of Jupiter, so there is a 9th to 10th mutual reception of mansion lords.

One can stop here in predicting results from this return chart, but it’s also helpful that radix Sun and Mercury are in the SR 1st house (within 15 degrees of the cusp). There is leeway in the distance of planets form the four angles (I haven’t yet decided on relevant degrees from angles), but I’m trying to keep relevant aspects between planets within 3 degrees.

There’s much more that can be said about this chart. For example, Jupiter on cusp 9 is trine the Part of Fortune on cusp 5. As I said in an earlier post, the Ascendant degree of this chart (24 Vir 53) is the degree of the 2025 inaugural Moon (24 Vir 25).

Then there is the 2025 inaugural ennead:

This chart has radix Sun and Mercury in the 10th and radix Pluto above the ascendant. KP Pluto goes like this: Pluto is in a Sun star, Sun is in a Venus star, and Venus is conjunct radix MC within 2 degrees. Venus is trine radix Mercury (with the Sun) in the SR 10th house.

Solar return Jupiter (Kamala’s 10th house lord) trines the ascendant.

Transiting Mercury is trine radix Moon in the 11th.

Transiting Uranus conjoins natal Jupiter, both in Krittika, the Sun’s star. Sun is in a Venus star, Venus conjoins radix MC and is trine SR cusp 10.

Moon at the nadir is in a star of Venus while Venus itself conjoins the radix MC.

If we ignore KP principles we still have radix Sun and Mercury at the NG, transiting Moon at the nadir, and radix Pluto in the first SR house. Most astrologers would consider the square of Pluto to natal Mercury/Sun as important. I wouldn’t know what to do with Pluto except that it’s in a Sun star (supports radix and SR Sun), and transiting Sun itself is in a Venus star, Venus conjoining natal MC.

Several indications in the chart default back to Solar Return Venus conjunct natal MC. (Venus dispositing natal Sun/Mercury and in digbala in the 4th house.)

So I’m working on the principle that relevant SR planets must be in angular equal cusp houses, be within a few degrees of other equal cusps or be in close (Orb 3-4 degrees??) aspects to other SR or natal planets or the MC/IC.

As with Kamala’s 2024 solar return, much more could be said about this chart. It’s unusual to see so many positive indications as are present in these two charts, but perhaps it’s fitting for the first female president of the United States who is both Asian and Black. Both the SR and inauguaral ennead charts come under Rahu Dasa, Venus bhukti.

I have been following your interesting post on Kamala Harris.
I am not going to comment on your Sidereal approach with the SR and the Enneads, you are doing it better than me with the knowledge you have on the matter. And I am learning by reading you.

Just a few comments on her Primary Directions.
PD Saturn opposition Nat Sun Nat MercuryL1
In the Natal chart, we have Sun/Mercury Lib 5th trine Saturn Aqu MC
I agree with you James when you say "when planets are in favourable relationship with one another in the natal chart - when they come into contact in the directions, it generally works out favourably"
A 10th House culmination of a planet by Direction does not ensure fame and public recognition unless it is written in the natal chart. Rather, it brings what is in the natal chart to the 'foreground'.
In Harris's case, it is tied to recognition because this natal Saturn in Aqu (ruler) is conjunct her natal MC
In her career, she has demonstrated this 5th/10th House connection
- She was at the head of the Family and Children's Services Division representing child abuse and neglect cases
- Harris created a Hate Crimes Unit, focusing on hate crimes against LGBT children and teens in schools.
- She led a effort to combat truancy (where people cannot invoke religious or social beliefs to justify their hate crimes) for at-risk elementary school youth in San Francisco
- She helped develop "parental responsibility plans" for parents sending their children to school regularly. Harris's office prosecuted seven parents in three years, with none jailed.
- In 2014, she co-sponsored legislation to ban the gay and trans panic defense in court.
- She is a 'stepmother' (Sun in Fall in Libra, not her own children) to her husband Douglas Emhoff's two children, Cole and Ella, from his previous marriage
- She is a 'running mate' (Libra) to Biden. The term is most often used in reference to the person in the subordinate position

Looking up at the PD Venus opposition Jupiter coming up because she has this Venus/Jupiter square in her natal chart.
An aspect leading to be overly optimistic, overly emotional. Or it could be that making commitments in relationships causes you concern. Sometimes a lax attitude may irritate your partner, or you may give the impression that you don’t care, or couldn’t be bothered. This could cause tension in her marital life, something she will have to face to reconcile work and family life.

Blessings,
Ouranos
Blessings!

I don’t usually post in this forum, but someone asked me privately for my opinion, so I had a quick look at Harris’s chart, which I hadn’t studied before. I do think a major consideration in considering eminence must be her full moon (luminary of the sect) in the 11th. It is now directed to the trine of Mercury (ruler of the ascendant) in the terms of Jupiter in her first house, near the ascendant, and also to the fixed star Rigel, which is of a Jupiter-Saturn nature.

(This is conspicuously similar to the case of Trump, whose sect luminary was directed at his election through the terms of Jupiter near his ascendant, to the body of Mars followed by the fixed star Regulus, which is of a Jupiter-Mars nature. We all know how that turned out.)

In Harris’s nativity, Saturn rules the midheaven and is conjunct it within a few degrees in its domicile. In her current year of life, the profected ascendant is conjunct that Saturn, which also becomes ruler of the year. In the revolution, Jupiter and Saturn are both angular and in their domiciles.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Thank you for posting here, Martin, and for the clear illustration of Traditional techniques. I especially appreciate being reminded of the importance of planets in their (sidereal) domiciles and the terms of planets.

James started this topic here on the Mundane forum, but as it's sidereal as he noted, I don't know if you would want to move the entire topic to the sidereal forum?

Also, assuming you are using the Alcabitius house system, it would be nice to see that chart illustrated here if you or someone else could post the chart? My software doesn't have an option for that house system.

therese,

a lot can happen in 4 years time! lets hope we are around to see your post on kamala 4 years from now! thanks for your input..

ouranos

i think your comments on the 10th house are interesting... some like therese appear to view jupiter as the ruler of the 10th.. others like yourself - view the midheaven in aquarius with saturn close by as the ruler... so in regard to directions involving saturn to sun as i was mentioning earlier - it does seem to feed into a successful result given saturns strong position in aquarius and close to the degree of the midheaven... sun and saturn are in trine, so this is favourable... on the other hand - sun which could also be construed as having some relationship to status and fame, is in libra which is not considered positive... so depending on how one weighs all these factors - the viewpoint can come out differently...

regarding the list of kamala harris accolades, i can think of a few that run exactly opposite to them, but i don't want to get into the politics here - only the astro...

thanks for your comments either way!

martin

i really appreciate your response here... and thanks for maintaining my anonymity, but it isn't necessary... here is the thing for me... you wrote a book on primary directions and gave examples throughout the book, but you also said you mostly only look at conjunctions and oppositions and ignore a lot of the other passing aspects - sextiles, trines and such... i am not trying to take you down here... the fact you are highlighting the sect luminary and an aspect in trine to mercury is really quite fascinating now! i think more people, myself included would benefit from more of your participation in these threads... however, it is up to you... great comments either way - your last paragraph has been covered here, but some of this tends to get lost in all of the commentary..