Does anyone use Solar Arc Progressions?

I always use Solar Arc Progressions of the chart angles to natal planets, but for some reason I almost never look at Solar Arc Progressions of natal planets to other natal planets, though I have sometimes casually observed that they have seemed to be effective.

Astrodienst calculate these, so they must consider them worthy.

Does anyone have examples of these working?

I just had a look at the Solar Arc Progressions for the chart of Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, for mid October 1975 when he committed his first murder. His Solar Arc Progressed Venus is conjunct his natal Pluto and aspects his natal Mars' antiscion, and his Solar Arc Progressed Saturn is conjunct his natal Mars.

These would be the case even if his birth time is slightly wrong.

Another chart that Solar Arc Progressions might help show the traumatic event of 3rd May 2007, where his child was abducted and never found again.

I am drawn to his natal Neptune at 24 degrees Scorpio 38 minutes in his fifth house of children. Antiscion 5 degrees Aquarius 22 minutes. Solar Arc Progressed Moon at the time of the event was in the fifth house, squaring Neptune's antiscion.

Also his SA Moon's South Node was 22 degrees Scorpio 51 minutes, quite close to his fifth house Neptune.

fleur,

i use them all the time! i find them very effective a lot of the time... i also use a 90 degree wheel to see connections that are not immediately seen in a 360 to 360 overlap of charts... this is a type of harmonic approach that linchi in the sidereal forum uses frequently, although he uses higher harmonics.. i mostly stick to the natal chart and hard aspects which include the 45-135 hard aspects, but don't go out further to the 22.5, 67.5 and etc - which are higher harmonics...

bottom line - yes, i use them all the time... they are called 'directions' not progressions although i guess someone might call them progressions... you are directing the whole chart the solar arc of the sun in a 1 year = approx 1 degree of the suns movement.. it can be a bit less or more then that depending on the rate of speed of the suns movement in the particular chart... but this is the concept and technique... it is quite an old approach and one that i first learned about via the hamburg school of astrology, cosmobiology and the work of ebertin reinhold....they might call it cosmobiology because they use the 90 degree wheel which is like looking at a chart with a type of microscope and highly effective for some details that are harder to picture in the charts you are using in your examples here.. i think it is actually a very old system and predates progressions - secondary progressions being invented by placidus who wasn't happy with profections apparently...

just for fun - here is peter sutcliffes 830pm chart with the solar arc directions from oct 12th 1975 overlapped in a bi wheel.... the inner wheel are the natal positions.. the outer wheel are the solar arc directions... this is a 90 degree wheel chart...

i have the arrow pointed to the mars natal with the moon saturn solar arc directed position.. you can see how mars in the natal chart is in some sort of opposition to the natal neptune, so there is a mars-neptune connection in the natal chart... looking at the natal chart i see it is a 45 degree aspect.... therefore the solar arc directed moon-saturn conjunction has reached the natal mars-neptune 45... you can also see pluto in the outer wheel in opposition to the inner wheel moon-saturn conjunct... also outer wheel venus is directly at the inner wheel pluto.. and etc. etc.. this tool - the 90 degree wheel - allows one to quickly see a number of hard aspect connections that aren't as quickly seen in the natal chart..

Yes, the 90 degree wheel is related to Number 4 or 4th Harmonic.
And very powerful.
The 4th harmonic shows how we deal with stress, strain, and struggle.

And what does science has to say about stress?
When you feel threatened and afraid, the amygdala automatically activates the fight-or-flight response by sending out signals to release stress hormones that prepare your body to fight or run away. This response is triggered by emotions like fear, anxiety, aggression, and anger.
It can disrupt synapse regulation, resulting in the loss of sociability and the avoidance of interactions with others. Stress can kill brain cells and even reduce the size of the brain. Chronic stress has a shrinking effect on the prefrontal cortex, the area of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
An amygdala hijack exhibits three signs: strong emotional reaction, sudden onset, and post-episode realization if the reaction was inappropriate.

Some signs that you are being hijacked by the 90 degree wheel
  • Depression or anxiety.
    Anger, irritability, or restlessness.
    Feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated, or unfocused.
    Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much.
    Racing thoughts or constant worry.
    Problems with your memory or concentration.
    Making bad decisions.
Interesting to note that the neuro-sciences which have worked and helped developed the algorithms of Facebook and other social medias exactly aimed the amygdalia and frontal parts of the brain (the Likes, thumbs up, constant reception of messages, false sense of socialization isolated in your basement, following your surfing habits and sending you reminders to act quickly)

Strange brave new world who wants us to live entrapped in a 90 Wheel!

Ouranos
Blessings!

James, thanks for that information on the history of Solar Arcs. I do find them more useful than other progressions.

For Solar Arcs I have been using conjunctions, oppositions and squares, and also to the antiscia. I haven't so far considered the 45 and 135 degree aspects, let alone the 22.5 degree aspects. Partly as you say they are harder to spot.

It is good to have a way of seeing these things easily, as otherwise just seeing what is going on with a new chart takes a lot of time and uses up prime thinking energy.

Fleur,
Looking at your 90 Wheel
Conjunction, opposition and square = conjunction on the 90 Wheel
Semi-square, sesqui-quadrate = opposition on the 90 Wheel
Octile series 22.5 = squares on the 90 Wheel
Or if you turn the dial sideways, manually or visually, at a 90° angle, thus squaring the midpoint axis under study, and you see the midpoints of the 22.5° axis.

Best visual effect would be to have a wheel like in James's example of the 90 degree wheel where you see the red line crossing between AS and Neptune. And to have a similar crossing line at every planet and Angles whether you have a planet at the other end, because it could be filled in by a transiting or progressed planet Not sure if a program does that.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!

thanks fleur and ouranos,

the red line is based off where you point the arrow... in the program - solar fire - the arrow can be moved around the whole 360... however for a picture i have to put it somewhere static.....

although it is a 90 degree wheel, one can use other wheels - 45, 22.5 and etc... but first it is best to learn how to use the 90 before proceeding to the others... you can see linchis posts in the sidereal forum for examples of other wheels being used..

all of these harmonics are connected - 2, 4, 8, 16, and etc... in the 90 one sees more then just the 4th harmonic, but maybe depending on how you describe it - it is capturing a few harmonics, as opposed to just the 4th harmonic..

john addey and david hamblin have written some good books on harmonics if anyone wants to look into them further... cheers james

Whoa there, secondary progressions are nothing to scoff at, guys.

Here are som secondary progression details for Sutcliffe's case:

Meets his wife (14 feb 1967): Sec Prog Moon sextile Natal Mercury (ruler of and present in h7).

Marriage (10 aug 1974): Sec Prog Moon conj Sec Prog Mercury (still the ruler of progressed h7). The prog. asc for this year is quincunx the natal Moon-Saturn conjunction in Cancer, which likely heralds the killings, already brewing in this period of miscarriages and marital unhappyness. Sec prog Sun is reaching natal Venus.

The first crime was under Sec Prog Moon-Venus conjunction. No planet in Cancer can be happy for this guy, given the state of the radix Moon.

Sutcliffe's first murder was on Oct 30, 1975, under Sec Prog Moon conjunction natal Mars.

His progressed ascendant for that year was quincunx prog Saturn in prog h7 and getting into a sesquisquare with natal Pluto h8. The quotidian prog asc for the day of the killing was conjunct prog Saturn.

In 1977 the pr. Sun - natal Venus conjunction was in full strength, and the body of a girl was found during pr Moon square natal Uranus.

Getting arrested: sec. pr. Moon parallel Jupiter, progressed Mercury-Pluto conjunction. The pr. asc. was moving onto Capricorn and making a long-lasting contra-parallel to Pluto (ruler h12)

He died under a sec prog Moon-Mars opposition aligned with his natal MC-IC and natal Neptune. Prog Jupiter had reached the square with natal Moon-Saturn, while prog. asc. for the year was quincunx said conjunction (and Placidus h8 cusp reached that too).

Best regards,
srsedna

With Solar Arcs, is it purely the conjunction and only to planets? (e.g. not angles, nodes, vertex, and nothing seen with change of houses or sign)

Back in October, I had SA/Prog Sun conjunct 6H Uranus and that’s definitely leading to a new line of work. In the next 18-months, SA Moon and Venus will also hit Uranus – the joy of a compact natal stellium!

And then in 2019, I have SA Uranus hitting natal 7H Jupiter followed four years later by it hitting Neptune.

Along with standard transits, including Uranus across my Ascendant, the next couple of years really feel like they are the turning point in my life.

srsedna wrote:Whoa there, secondary progressions are nothing to scoff at, guys.

Here are som secondary progression details for Sutcliffe's case:

srsedna
no scoffing on my part.... everyone has to find what works for them... unfortunately there are too many choices in astrology and it is very difficult to find something that works well consistently.. of all that i have tried i have found solar arc directions one of the most useful tools... however, this is not to say that other tools don't or can't work for others.... cheers james

la jupiter quote - "With Solar Arcs, is it purely the conjunction and only to planets? (e.g. not angles, nodes, vertex, and nothing seen with change of houses or sign)"

it is whatever you would like it to be, but personally i use the angles and nodes myself, along with hard aspects more then just the conjunction... get some good astro software and try it out yourself to see what makes sense to you.... cheers james

Yes right. There are many techiques and one have to choose what one is comfortable with. Solar arc progression works fine. But I find that secondary progressions and tertiary progressions more organic. In them there is also a sense of unfoldment in time which can be useful in explaining personal development over time. And one have in secondaries the solar lunar relationship the progressed lunation cycle. And also progressed stations et.c.

I was inspired to have a look into Sutcliffes chart, and the most interesting thing imo that stands out is in the Declinations:

Out-of-bounds ME, VE, PL, MO within 1 degree orb in Northern declination, all in Parallel ! That is something.
https://aliceportman.com/what-is-out-of-bounds/

Out of bounds planets are outside the normal. A bit uncontrolled in nature. Here we find venus moon (women, emotions, sex) mercury (mind) and pluto (psychological obsessions, power et.c) in an uncontrolled Out-of Bounds mode, also in parallel.

In sidereal chart he have his 8th house venus in mutual exchange yoga with mercury in 7th house. He was also in a ME/VE period 1975 when he started his murdering, just illustrating the importance of this combination in his life.

Secondary progressions

P MA-45-SA
P MA-45-MO
mars saturn is connected to violence and death, and moon is symbolic of women and his psychological state to some degree. These progressed aspects were within a degree orb into 1976 and even into a bit of 1977. Times when many of the murders were performed.

P MO-00-MA
As Sredna wrote also, giving a double whammy with Moon Mars symbiology.
( aspected by transiting Node). His natal Mars in a 135' sesquisquare to Neptune in his chart, which when negatively manifested can be a bit perverse in action.

P NE-00-NE
Retrograde Neptune at his birth had turned direct and was at exact 00' orb conjunction to natal neptune in autumn 75 when murder begun. This activates the natal mars 135' neptune aspect and the monthly progressed Moon conjunction to natal mars triggers it exactly on the month.

His Declinations:

Sidereal chart: