(Short closing comment about the reason I was fascinated with the professional athletic performances as elite gymnastic of the earlier posted chart of Bruno Liljefors, was that I have seen a similar cosmic state of mars, in another chart before. The same is true in the chart of the last centuries most famous hatha yogi (physical yoga): BKS Yiengar central in the rise of physical yoga in the west.

Just as Liljefors have his Mars in sidereal exaltation in Capricorn in the chart + in the navamsha chart + in the drekkana chart.

The same is true for the last centuries perhaps most famous hatha yogi (physical yoga).

BKS Yiengar
Saturday, December 14, 1918, 3:00 AM
Bellur, Kolar District (India)
(source mountain astrologer).

For James: Iyengars mars is in 4th house in weak Digbala.)

A planet in the first nav??ṃśa (0°00′–3°20′) of Capricorn will necessarily be in the drekk??ṇa (and the sapt??ṃśa, for that matter) of Capricorn as well. On average, Mars will spend a week in that nav??ṃśa; when it is retrograde or slow, considerably longer. I wouldn't predict athletic skills for everyone born during such a period.

(Please note that the name is Iyengar, as correctly given at the end of your post.)
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Yes, I agree such predictions would not be a good idea. But good potential could be indicated.

For fun I googled the date. 14 dec 1918
Famous Birthdays
B.K.S. Iyengar, Indian yoga advocate, born in Bellur, Kolar district, Kingdom of Mysore (d. 2014)
James T. Aubrey, American television executive (President of the CBS television network 1959-65), born in LaSalle, Illinois (d. 1994)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Aubrey
https://www.encyclopedia.com/humanities ... -thomas-jr

the tall, athletic Aubrey

He graduated in 1941 and entered the United States Army Air Forces. Aubrey rose to the rank of major and taught military flying to actor James Stewart, who was a licensed civilian pilot
At Princeton, Aubrey was on the football team, playing left end. The New York Times Magazine described Aubrey as "6-foot 2-inch with an incandescent smile

stefan, martin and therese

thanks for the commentary.. i plan on replying, but i have to sort it out how i want to respond first.... but i would like to also say that i would like to keep the focus on digbala, as opposed to an exercise in arriving at what is the REALLY REALLY TRUE BEST etc. etc. ZODIAC...

back later with some relevant commentary. ( hopefully!).. thanks james

okay - have decided i am going to start a new thread with a slightly different twist... i hope it will address some of the issues that have been raised with stefans commentary here - "The dignities of the sidereal zodiac with the exaltation and debilitation's is very powerful imo."
and ..." Iyengars mars is in 4th house in weak Digbala." i don't see any data for this person you mention stefan... you mention a few other examples - BKS Yiengar and Bruno Liljefors, but i see no chart or overview on lyengars.. thanks..

thanks martin.. it is no big deal... feel free to move this thread and the new one i started to the indian astrology section too.. i haven't been thinking about how these 2 forums - sidereal and indian are different..

thanks for clarifying stefans example for me... here is his chart with a page on him from wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._K._S._Iyengar

i am just turning on my other computer to see what the shadbala looks like for Iyenggar..this might be a good way to get at a better understanding of digbala..

i am looking at the strengths of his chart via jagannatha hora astro software... mars isn't particularly strong - somewhere in the middle of the pack according to the overall picture i get off shadbala.... so perhaps digbala is only one of a series of considerations and not one to lean heavily on? it seems Iyengar scores higher with jupiter and mercury which makes sense given his educational outreach to the world with yoga as his focal point... perhaps the way that he has expressed his energy is more to do with teaching and education then an emphasis on the physical as implied by a really strong mars...

anyone have any more thoughts on this? thanks... james

Hi James,

Somehow the program I use (Shri Jyoti Star) gives mars as the planet with the highest Shadbala.

Don't know if the programs can have different settings for the calculation ?

It is also a Ruchaka yoga. Mars in an kendra in exaltation or own sign.
This is repeated from chandra lagna (moon as ascendant).

This dominance of mars in terms of dignity and vargottama exaltation state is probably overriding the weak Digbala by mars.

stefan,

i had to turn on the other computer to take a look again at jhora software and the shadbala scores.... they are different then what is generated by sjs... although mars scores highest in certain areas that are visible in jhora, i note venus shows as the weakest and sun is much stronger in jhora... unfortunately i am unable to copy and paste the view i get from the software.... my impression is there are different shadbala results, without my fully knowing what all the different types of balas are... if i just look at % strengths given on one of the pages it reads as follows...

sun % 116 shadbala numbers are given as 350
moon % 113.................................................408
mars 129 ....................................................387
mercury 105.............................................442
jupiter 114.................................................445
venus 89....................................................295
saturn 109 .................................................329

James,

I get the same results as you when ignoring the Shadbala graph in my program and instead looking at the table with numbers. It seems like the graph is not working in SJS program.

stefan, here is the data from aj's sjs prog.. i believe the program can have different settings and aj says this as well.. quote from aj - "Also note that different setting within a program will change the numbers depending on the user a little bit and that each program calculates things a little differently as some of the calc of shadbala are pretty involved and even a bit obscure."

what is interesting to me and this goes into planetary strength - not just directional strength - my understanding as simple as it sounds is that planets close to angles have greater strength on many levels.. the data seems to support this too, but maybe it doesn't always..

B K S Iyengar

Planet's main exaltation degree, Exaltation sign, Favorite sign, own sign, bosom friend sign, friend sign, neutral sign. imo, this is the order that is more than sufficient. Jupiter stands out among all in Iyengar's chart. Next comes Mars.

map,

thanks for commenting.. i want to challenge you here...

what do you think is more significant? planets in angles or planets in exaltation, but not in angles?? obviously it all matters but if you had to put emphasis on one over the other, which would it be? thanks - james