Picking winners Donald Bradley

Here is what Donald Bradley had to say in 'Picking Winners' back in 1954.
Free to download
https://fdocuments.in/document/don-brad ... nners.html

Resume:
+ Sun: The champ maintains his title.
- Sun: The champ loses his title
+ Moon: The public is satisfied. Great audience.
- Moon: Dissenting public opinion. Restless audience.
+ Mercury: Fast game with high scoring. Clever plays. Dexterity.
- Mercury: Erratic game with unbalanced scoring. Penalties aplenty. Speed (depending on Mercury's speed)
+ Venus: The younger wins. Fairest pigment is favored. Good sportsmanship. Colorful, fraternal atmosphere.
- Venus: The younger loses. Poor sportsmanship.
+ Mars: Action galore. Game fast and vigorous.
- Mars: Game fast and reckless. Injuries. Bad sportsmanship. Bully tactics.
+ Jupiter: Justified optimism. Fair play. High scoring.
- Jupiter: Undue optimism. Poor team-work. Foul play. Numerous penalties.
+ Saturn: The elder is favored. Game slow and steady. Titles maintained. Good defense
- Saturn: Elder at a disadvantage. Game slow, delayed. Injuries, upsets, reversals. Goalies failed.
+ Uranus: Possible change in title. Exciting plays. Surprises. New tactics.
- Uranus: The champ loses. Eccentric scoring and spectacular plays. Disputes among judges.
+ Neptune: Smooth-running game. Much superficiality.
- Neptune: Confusion. Injustice or fraud. Unfair advantages or penalties.
+ Pluto: Excitement prevails. Highly co-ordinated teamwork or skill. Public pleased with outcome.
- Pluto: Restless players and audience. Disorganized teamwork. Lack of skill but much force.

Appreciation:
** Regardless of House rulership used, looking at Angular planets should provide a general guideline for the game itself.
** Watching any games live, using Regiomontanus, the crossings of planets to House cusps (about 2 degrees orb) will generate a 'whistle', whether it is a goal, a penalty, an injury or a squirrel engaging in the game!
** Have also noticed favorable positions moving from Angular to Cadent for whomever team a planet is associated to have a drop of energy.

Any comments of personal experience welcome!
Ouranos
Blessings!

Is there another book by Don Bradley that explains his method of reading a Horary chart. There are terms in the book such as Lunar Parallax, separates adversely, quadrature etc. which are hard to understand.

This is more Electional than Horary Astrology
Most books written on 'Picking a winner' are sketchy. They lack the practical stuff on a consistant basis. A shallow do not do the spring.
And most important of all, does your chart show you can be lucky with gambling.

An old and renown local astrologer once told me 'Go to the races and pick up the Horse No 6 in the 8th race tonight'. I did and I won.
Question: Why didn't you go yourself?
Answer: Because my chart tells me to stay away from gambling.
Question: How did you know that this horse was going to win?
Answer: I looked at your chart
No matter what you do, Heaven decides.

You have
"The Collected Writings of Donald Bradley" Hardcover on Amazon

Separates adversely = last aspecting a malefic
Quadrature = Square

As for Parallax
David Cochrane
https://www.astrosoftware.com/What%20is%20Parallax.htm
Alphee Lavoie
https://www.alphee.com/a-to-use-paralla ... -parallax/

Blessings,
Ouranos
Blessings!

Thank you so much for the reply.

I assume you've been using the method, can you share your charts along with the analysis. It can be of great help in understanding the method better.

Thanks for referring the books, will try and get them

PS. how do you assign ASC for a game played on a neutral venue?

I don't use Bradley's method but I find it interesting to get an overall picture of an event or a game.
I have been using midpoints with Lady Luck.
For example, this month Venus is conjunct Jupiter Feb 11th at 12 Aquarius 35.
If you have a lucky midpoint (Jupiter preferably!) between 11 and 13 Aquarius, you adjust the Ve/Ju midpoint when it approaches your natal midpoint by 5 minutes of longitude.
And Feb 10th, the Moon is joining the duo which is even stronger!!!

And then you fine tune it with the Houses
- Best is to put VE/JU Angular
- Or any house cusp (Placidus)
- Or the natal planets of the natal midpoint Angular
- Or the natal planets of the natal midpoint on any house cusp.
- Or the transiting VE/AS, VE/MC, JU/AS or JU/MC midpoint crossing any good positions of the natal or transiting chart. This one helps you come up with a more precise time.

Ouranos
Blessings!

Context

I believe the context of the event is paramount in such charts. For example in UK horse racing, since it's not parimutuel there are no official odds and that influences what shows in the charts. For a soccer game the home vs visitor dichotomy is very strong (and to a lesser degree goalies and judges). Even the ancients when considering event charts, thought that the context in the form of the birth charts of the participants was important, the event or election could not trump the birth chart. Horse racing has many very similar race charts on a regular basis, it seems only the context can explain the different outcomes.

Right, the context of the event is paramount. Bradley is just providing guidelines or a general meaning of the planets in a sport game.
In horse racing for example you are given information like track condition, race condition, past performances, sire and dam, speed, weight, colors, jockey, trainer, prize, handicapper and so on.
The idea is to look at what is striking in the chart (Angular planets, the ASC, its ruler and the Moon's applying aspects.
You will not always get a long shot named Heavenly Fish with Jupiter in Pisces at the Ascendant but you need to use your imagination and skills.
Blessings!