The Life & Work of Vettius Valens
by Deborah Houlding
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

What Primary Directions software do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petr

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planetdance is an excellent program and deserves a larger primary direction module. It's good news that it's being planned for reconstruction.
zoidsoft

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petr wrote:
Delphic Oracle has a very well-equipped primary directions module that allows a variety of options. In contrast to the Morinus program, it allows the calculation of topocentric (Polich-Page)primary directions. The problem is when calculating zodiacal declination parallels, where the program sometimes fails.

I recommend eliminating some of the options in calculation to try to isolate the problem. In trigonometry, sometimes it doesn't make sense to measure certain angles (for instance the time of sunrise in January on the north pole).

When I wrote the module, I stuck in every possible combination to allow for as many options as possible, but the reality is that some options don't make sense with certain procedures.

So when you run into an error, try selecting only 1 direction type, 1 referrence frame (mundo, zodiaco), 1 key then select significators, promissors. The less the better, then you can isolate which direction is throwing the error.
Knightinte

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

astralwanderer wrote:
Hi there - the Planetdance Ptolemaic Primary Directions module is quite limited at the moment. However I will be going back to redevelop it when time permits. I have been working on a number of other modules in recent months including the Hellenistic module, Ed Greek Horoscope.

You are welcome to download Jean's freeware and try all the options available at www.jcremers.com. The software is undergoing constant development and is worth looking at as a freeware option.

Thank you for the heads up. Very Happy
astralwanderer

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

Hi there - an early notice that I am due to update the Planetdance primary directions module in the next week or two. This will be a much better module, with many more features. As the date for release gets closer, I will post in this thread to let Planetdance users know about the new version.

Thanks. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
james_m

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update ed! i will hold off downloading the program until the update is done... cheers james
astralwanderer

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James - no problem. It's nearly ready so shouldn't be too long. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
astralwanderer

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

Hi there - just to let everyone know that the update to the Planetdance primary directions module has just been released.

For a screenshot see:

https://jcremers.com/forum/index.php/topic,172.msg1234.html#msg1234

To download Jean Cremer's Planetdance freeware, please go to:

www.jcremers.com

Many thanks. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Martin Gansten

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

Thanks for this notice, Ed; I'll check that out as soon as I can. Incidentally, I rather dropped the ball on this topic, but I do intend to get back to it eventually.
astralwanderer

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

Hi Martin - thanks for your reply. Let me know if you have any feedback. It would be helpful to have your views. This has been a long time in the making, but I don't consider the module to be finished by any means. If there's any way that I can improve it or correct it let me know.

Best wishes. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Martin Gansten

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Planetdance Primary Directions Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Just installed Planetdance, but I'm not sure where to find the classical/standard primary directions; could you advise? Also, is it possible to get rid of the transsaturnians and other extraneous objects? Thanks.
astralwanderer

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Ptolemaic Primary Directions Reply with quote

Hi Martin - you will find it as a separate module in the Horoscope-Classical Menu under Ptolemaic Primary Directions.

You can remove any unwanted planets using the Options menu, but the traditional modules that I code only include traditional planets.

Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Martin Gansten

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ptolemaic Primary Directions Reply with quote

Thanks, Ed, I found it. I confess I can't make head or tail of the triwheel, but I see there is also a list function. Is it possible to (de)select moving/fixed points (= promissors/significators in the modern, less accurate sense), and to choose whether and how to include latitude? And what about directions through the terms?

(Direct) directions with the sun as significator seem to agree with my own calculations, but not those with the moon or angles as significators. I'm not sure why.
astralwanderer

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Martin - thanks for your reply. I am planning to include terms and latitude options, but I need to get the basics right first. It seems odd that the Sun calculations are fine, but not moon and angles. Can you PM me some examples so that I can have a look at it.

Thanks. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Martin Gansten

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

I had a closer look, and it seems the problem isn't what I first thought. Rather, it seems that Planetdance is producing a number of (what I would consider to be) false hits. This is probably to do with presentation. For instance, when Planetdance gives (in glyphs):

MC square Mercury

-- I would assume that to mean that the degree natally on the MC had moved to the natal position of Mercury's square aspect. But I'm guessing that Planetdance uses the identical notation to signify that the degree natally square the MC had moved to the natal position of Mercury (or rather, to its ecliptical projection)? It took me a while to work that out.

Traditionally, only planets cast aspects, so 'the square of the MC' would not be an astrologically meaningful point. Also, aspect points can only be promissors (they don't signify any area of life) and angles can only be significators. So directions that are the other way round don't show up in software like Morinus.

It would be good to be able to select (and deselect) both moving and fixed points as well as aspect types, and ideally to select latitude options for each (e.g., use latitude for bodies without assigning latitude to aspects). But perhaps the most important thing is to clarify whether an aspect belongs to the fixed or the moving point. Thus, instead of:

Moon square Mercury

one could have:

Moon to the square of Mercury

(in glyphs perhaps: Moon-Mercury-square)

and:

square of the Moon to Mercury

(in glyphs: square-Moon-Mercury)

Just a suggestion.
astralwanderer

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Martin - this is so helpful. Many thanks. I will look into this and see what I can do. I'm relieved that there are not fundamental problems with the underlying code for the algorithms. These scripts are a process of gradual improvement and refinement but it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thanks again. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> News, Notices, Books, Links All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: