USA Election 2020: KP and Return Chart Choices

USA Election 2020: KP and Return Chart Choices

I am both amused and astounded at the variety of techniques used by astrologers in attempting to predict the outcome of the 2020 American election. A science astrology is not, at least in its current state near the beginning of the 21st century. As I’m not a mundane or predictive astrologer, I thought rather than adding one more “guess??? to the mix, it would be interesting to look at return charts and note the interpretation choices astrologers would have in attempting a prediction. Others are welcome to comment on these charts.

Due to the uncertainty of this year’s U.S. election, I’ve been looking at the inaugural date rather than the projected election date of November 3, 2020. At the very least a delayed vote count is expected due to the large number of mail-in ballots. So there is significant doubt that we will have final election results on the day following the election.

My personal research approach at this time involves combining solar returns (annual charts) and enneads (40 day subdivisions of the solar return) with KP (Krishnamurti Padhdhati) techniques which place priority on the lunar mansions (termed “stars??? in this system because each mansion contains specific stars).

We cannot tell what a planetary transit might mean or in what area of life it might manifest without some way to qualify it. The KP system discovered by K. S. Krishnamurti in the last century uses a unique system of zodiacal degrees as used in Vimshotari Dasas assigned to various planets. Each lunar mansion (nakshatra) of 13 degrees, 20 minutes contains 9 sub-periods and 81 sub-sub (sub-2) periods.

These small planetary degree and micro minute areas (which can be as small as two astrological minutes) link directly to the natal chart via house rulerships and house positions as I describe in this post. The primary principle of the KP system is that lunar mansion (“star??? or nakshatra) lords describe how a planet’s energies will manifest. Though many astrologers successfully use the KP system, as a unique 20th century innovation, it is still in the stage of being tested. However, these charts can be read using more standard interpretation techniques.

I use the Krishnamurti ayanamsa and follow the same chart design for all charts: Equal houses measured from the ascendant with the ascendant degree in all houses marking the center of the houses. Any planet that is close to a center (ascendant) degree will have special importance in the chart, particularly in return charts. (But for those interested, the MC degree may also be used for 10th house emphasis.) After some experimentation I am setting all return charts for the location of birth rather than changing the location to residence. In India the birth location is always used for annual charts.

(Continued in next post)
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

The first chart I look at is Donald Trump’s 2020 sidereal solar return (14 June 9:58:12 AM Jamaica, NY) which covers both the November 2020 election and 2021 inauguration.

This is basically a strong chart as Trump’s powerful natal trine of Jupiter to Sun-Rahu-Uranus falls on solar return cusps with emphasis on the benefic 11th cusp.

25 degrees of Cancer rises in the chart. This places Trump’s natal Ascendant and Mars in the first house, a strong position.

Transiting SR Jupiter is partile trine natal MC with an orb of 23 minutes. (In Jyotish the trine is Jupiter’s most powerful aspect.)

Transiting Mean Rahu is trine natal Fortuna with an orb of only 12 minutes.

But a question for astrologers is Uranus at the midheaven (supposed to bring major change). And SR Mars (with Neptune) is in the malefic 8th house and partile square natal Rahu (also square natal Uranus and Sun), so the year is likely to bring serious conflict, most likely a contested fight for the presidency.

Using KP, Uranus at the MC is in a mansion of Venus, and Venus is well placed in the 11th with Fortuna. So with KP in a solar return chart, there isn’t a strong statement here for a dramatic loss of presidential power.

However, if one applies the more common technique of zodiac sign dispositors, Mars in the 8th house with Neptune disposits Uranus, M.C. and equal cusp 10.

JOE BIDEN
Joe Biden’s 2020 sidereal solar return (20 November 8:29:41 AM EWT Scranton, PA) takes effect on November 20, weeks after the scheduled election date of November 3.

The sidereal SR is a repeat of the birth chart with the ascendant a mere 16 minutes in advance of the natal ascendant based on the accepted time of birth. This places natal Rahu (conjunct Regulus) at the top of the chart in the 10th house. But there are no SR planets within 5 degrees of a cusp activating natal Rahu. Aside from SR Sun, the only transiting planet closely conjoining a cusp is SR Uranus on natal Fortuna near the cusp of the 6th house.

How to interpret this conjunction? Using KP both Fortuna and transiting Uranus are in the star and sub of Venus. SR Venus is in the SR 12th house of loss and rules the 12th house in the natal chart.

To be honest, I’ve never been able to get a handle on a full understanding of Biden’s natal planets, and Venus is one of those planets. The bottom line is that using only KP for Biden’s solar return, there doesn’t seem to be a clear picture promoting him to the presidency. But it’s a common belief among astrologers that a solar return chart that repeats the natal chart points to an especially significant year, and in this chart natal Rahu is on the NG (equal 10th house cusp).

With the repeat of the natal angles in the SR chart, the Sun's opposition to Uranus on the 7th cusp is highlighted. This is an important key to the interpretation of this return chart. So there is a double Uranus emphasis for Biden's solar return year: SR Uranus on natal Fortuna and natal Uranus on cusp 7.

KAMALA HARRIS
Kamala Harris’ 2020 solar return (21 Oct 2020, 5:58:54 AM PDT, Oakland CA) is also her election ennead which is in effect for 40 days after her birthday.

Since Kamala Harris’ birthday occurs only weeks before the election date of November 3, of course we would expect the chart to reflect public exposure. We have this with natal Ascendant and Rahu in the 10th SR house with transiting Rahu close by in the 9th sign. However, these positions aren’t close to the M.C. or nonagesimal degrees, so in themselves perhaps may not be a strong statement for attaining a prestigious public office.

Kamala Harris is running Rahu dasa, Mercury sub-period, and this is reflected in the solar return chart with Mercury on cusp 2 in trine to the MC/NG in Rahu’s star and Mercury sub. Mercury on cusp 2 (throat) emphasizes public speaking, and Mercury itself points to the travel involved in the campaign. So Mercury in this chart is tightly linked to the 10th house of prestige.

The most potent configuration in Harris’ natal chart is the Asc-Rahu/Saturn/ Sun-Mercury grand trine. But these placements aren’t highlighted (close to cusps) in the solar return chart. Only two SR planets are near cusps: Mercury on cusp 2 and Uranus on cusp 8.

Uranus on the 8th cusp is a question as it is in a Venus mansion (Bharani), and SR Venus is in the 12th house. In Harris’ natal chart Venus is in the 4th house and is lord of the 5th and 12th. These positions don’t seem to point to victory for public office. However, the 5th house has been linked to politics which hold Kamala's Sun and Mercury.

Transiting Rahu is in a star of Mars, SR Mars being located in the 7th. This no doubt reflects the contest (and perhaps personal attacks) related to the election. But also for her natal Gemini ascendant, Mars is a malefic as it is the 6th and 11th lord. So from the viewpoint of KP, SR Rahu is transiting a malefic star/mansion.

When Harris won the senate race in 2016, transiting Jupiter (her 10th house lord) was conjunct the SR ascendant in a star of the Moon, the Moon itself at the MC. In her 2020 SR, Jupiter is 9 degrees from cusp 4 in a star of Venus, Venus being in the 12th house.

The two most benefic placements in this solar return chart are ascendant lord Mercury trine the MC/NG and Jupiter angular in the 4th house. This Jupiter happens to be trine Kamala's natal Uranus-Pluto-Venus. These planets are in her natal 4th and SR 12th house. Transiting Jupiter, however, is in the sub of Mercury which is linked to the 10th house. But Jupiter in the mansion of Venus points to Venus in the SR 12th house.

(Next Post: Inaugural Enneads)
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Inaugural Enneads

The ennead (40 day division of the annual chart) was discovered in the last century by sidereal astrologer Donald Bradley near the end of his life. I’ve given more details about this chart elsewhere on Skyscript. I’ve been researching these charts (based on events in hindsight!), but I’m still working out principles of interpretation. The ennead (pronounced any-add) chart is a solar chart, based on 40 day increments of the annual solar return.

Numerically the ennead combines odd numbers (nine charts per year) with even numbers: each chart covers a period of 40 days. It’s an odd fact that the precise degrees and aspects of planets in the ennead chart are more descriptive of main events for the 40 day period rather than the actual transits on the day of events. The same is true of the Sun’s sign ingress for earthquakes which is more descriptive of the quake than the transits at the time of the quake.

If ennead charts are valid and interpreted correctly, they should tell us who will be inaugurated as president of the USA on January 20, 2021. A good place to begin the ennead study is the inaugural date for 2017, the day that Donald Trump became president of the United States.

All planets aren’t created equal in the ennead chart. Planets near the (equal) angles are significant as well as planets near the MC. Partile aspects between the ennead and radix planets are important. Planets seem to carry their radix (equal) house rulership. Ennead house rulerships may not apply at all except for the ascendant lord. I can use Donald Trump’s 2017 inaugural ennead to illustrate interpretation principles. (Krishnamurti ayanamsa, equal cusp lines as the centers of houses. The illustrated chart house numbers are incorrect.)

Initially the chart looks strong because Trump’s natal sign rises with transiting Rahu approaching the conjunction to radix ascendant and Mars. This places the emphasis on the person (first house). Transiting Rahu is active in events that affect large numbers of people.

The next planet to notice is Mars in the degree of the descendant. How do we interpret this Mars which we know is a signature for Trump’s personality? I don’t know how to form a judgement without using KP which aligns planets with each degree or minutes and seconds of the zodiac. Mars is in the mansion (star) of Rahu and sub of the Sun. This places Mars’ energy on the first house Rahu and benefic 5th house Sun as lord of the ascendant and trine the ascendant degree. So the power of the chart lies in the Rahu-Mars-Sun complex with focus on the first house.

A partile aspect is the ennead Jupiter trine the degree of natal Rahu which is in the 10th ennead house and 11th (house of gain) natal house. There are other important details of the ennead chart, but these are the most important. I don’t believe we can interpret ennead charts apart from the natal chart because natal planets that fall in ennead houses are important keys to the chart. We can thank the Fagan-Bradley astrologers for this important clue to interpretation although traditionally the natal chart needs to be compared each year to the solar return.

These are the primary placements that gave Donald Trump the presidency. Using Linchi’s corrected time for Hillary Clinton, does her January 2017 ennead clearly indicate that she would not be inaugurated?

The radix 12th house sign rises in this chart, the ascendant degree close to the natal ascendant degree. Supporting Linchi’s rectification, this chart has a double angular partile Ketu. The 10th house transiting Ketu in on the radix MC with only an 8 minute orb. Natal Ketu is on the 7th ennead cusp with only an 11 minute orb. Close by is Clinton’s radix ascendant lord, Mercury. Transiting Mercury (natal ascendant lord) is in the ennead unfortunate 8th house opposing the natal ascendant with an orb of 1 degree. The Sun is near the 9th ennead cusp, but out of sign. At 29 Sgr 47, the Sun is at the end of a cycle. Natal Saturn at 28 degrees is at the nadir indicating “the ending of things.???

Using KP to interpret transiting Ketu: Ketu is in a Rahu star and Saturn sub. Transiting Rahu is in the obscure 4th house, and transiting Saturn is in the 8th, while natal Saturn is at the nadir. Clearly this ennead isn’t an inaugural chart, but focuses on loss (Ketu) and obscurity (4th and 8th houses).

Of course natal Rahu is angular in Clinton's ennead, partile conjunct the ennead ascendant, but Rahu is in the radix 12th house and has no supporting ennead aspects. Rahu is also beneath the ascendant while Ketu is above.

With these ennead interpretation hints, can the ennead charts clearly show who will be inaugurated on January 20? These will be discussed in the next post.

Hello Therese,
Correct me if I am wrong, the charts are drawn with Solar Fire which is one the program I have.
How do you calculate the Enneads?
I also have Jagannatha Hora and Maitreya8 which I have to get familiar with.
From you post, you consider the Period Lord and Sub Lord, partile and Angular planets. Is that correct?

Thank you,
Ouranos
Blessings!

OUranos wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, the charts are drawn with Solar Fire which is one program I have.
How do you calculate the Enneads?
Yes, the charts are drawn with Solar Fire, but a very old version 5. A sidereal astrologer designed the wheel form that allows the outer wheel chart as the ascendant...in this case the ennead or solar return ascendant. I don't know if the newer versions of Solar Fire have that option. It's really important to show natal planets in houses in return charts. The ennead is the simple 9th harmonic chart. You simply type in the date you want and ask for the current 9th harmonic chart. Or you can ask for several in the year.
I also have Jagannatha Hora and Maitreya8 which I have to get familiar with.
From you post, you consider the Period Lord and Sub Lord, partile and Angular planets. Is that correct?
Not the Dasa lords, but the mansion and sub lord of planets in the solar return or ennead (or lunar return for that matter). I'm still researching these charts, but we know as astrologers that every chart is unique and with every chart we learn something new.

We take an angular planet (for example) and check the positions of the star lord and Krishnamurti sub lord. We aren't using the usual Dasa lords as such. So in Trump's 2017 ennead Mars is partile conjunct the 7th cusp. But Mars acts for Rahu on the ascendant because it's in a Rahu star (mansion). Then we have to check the sub lord which is the Sun which is well placed in the 5th house and trine Rahu and the ascendant. These star and sub mansion tables are on-line, but the best tables (compact attractive layout, easy to read) are in S.P. Khullar's books.

I'm doing something different here: Using KP techniques to delineate return charts. Jyotish programs calculate the Krishnamurti star and sub lords. (Not meaning the ayanamsa, but the system of star and sub lords which K.S. Krishnamurti discovered.)

Let’s see if I can further clarify how the KP technique works. In Trump’s 1917 inaugural ennead, Mars is the most angular planet as it’s in the descendant degree. If I was looking a this chart before the 2016 election, I wouldn’t have any clear idea of how Mars might manifest during this ennead period which begins on 3 January, 2017. I could only guess what this position of Mars might mean. With KP we don’t have to guess.

Mars is in the mansion of Rahu. KP says we then focus on Rahu which in this chart is in the first house in Trump’s natal ascendant sign. The first house (taking traits from S.P. Khullar’s introductory text): health, general success, name and fame.* But how will Rahu operate? Will there be illness? (health) or success?

For this the sub lord for Mars is used. The sub area belongs to the Sun. In the ennead chart the Sun is lord of the ascendant and placed in the benefic 5th house in trine to the ascendant. Thus first house affairs (Rahu approaching the transit of natal Asc/Mars) are going to have a positive outcome.

All this is based only on the star and sub lord planets of the prominent ennead Mars...much more precise than trying to guess how the 7th house angular Mars will manifest. Rahu itself is also said to bring the effects of its sign lord since Rahu doesn't own any house. This takes us back to Sun in the 5th (in its own triplicity). Yes, I do use triplicity rulerships from Hellenistic astrology as an important planetary strength.

*S.P. Khullar's introductory text: Kalamsa & Cuspal Interlinks Theory (Sagar Publications, 2004-2008, p. 14)

Thank you Therese for your analysis.
I have read the first 3 books of Astro Secrets & KP so far to better understand the link between the Nakshatra, the Star Lord and the Sub Lord.
Just downloaded the Cuspal Interlink by Khullar
KP says that the Sub Lord is the deciding factor when you analyze the Enneads.
What is your own understanding of the relationship between the 3?
Given different scenarios, like if you have for example a weak Nakshatra and Star Lord with regards to a natal or SR position but you have a very positive Sub Lord?
Have you seen in your research different scenarios and combinations?

Thank you,
Ouranos
Blessings!

Ouranos, thank you for your interest in this topic! I haven't seen the KP 'Secret' books. Who is the author? I tend to avoid buying the newer books by Indian authors as they are so badly in need of editing. The original KP books are so obscurely written as to be almost incomprehensible in places. In contrast the Khullar books are a model of clarity and very nicely printed. If you downloaded Khullar's entire book, it's most likely an illegal stolen copy.

As I've been occupied today with the high drama happening in our nation's Capital, I will wait to reply to the remainder of your post.

Ouranos wrote:
I have read the first 3 books of Astro Secrets & KP so far to better understand the link between the Nakshatra, the Star Lord and the Sub Lord...

KP says that the Sub Lord is the deciding factor when you analyze the Enneads.
What is your own understanding of the relationship between the 3?
I don't quite understand the question since the nakshatra and star lord are the same.
Given different scenarios, like if you have for example a weak Nakshatra and Star Lord with regards to a natal or SR position but you have a very positive Sub Lord?
First we have to define 'weak' and 'positive.' KP and Khullar don't consider many of the traditional Indian strengths and weaknesses of planets. According to KP (as quoted by Khullar): "Star indicates involvement and the sub indicates commitment."

That is, the star lord of a planet points to the areas of action or manifestation, and the placement of the sub lord says if the event will be positive and helpful or bring troublesome or negative results. There are many illustrations in Khullar's books. But in another post today I'll look at President Trump's current ennead and apply those principles.
Have you seen in your research different scenarios and combinations?
If so, I wouldn't remember them without pulling charts out of my files! I don't retain past work in my mind, perhaps due to my age. At this time I'm testing KP on current charts and events. Traditionally KP relies on Vimshottari Dasas and sub periods plus transits. My study at present is testing KP principles in return charts (solar returns, enneads and lunar returns). Traditional astrology in texts translated by Ben Dykes and Martin Gansten gives some importance to monthly returns, but Donald Bradley in his research found that only the enneads (every 40 days) rather than the monthly returns gave the best results.

therese,

regarding donald bradley and the conclusions he came to, is there any link that you can share regarding that?? also, i am curious if this was much after he wrote the book on solar and luner returns in 1948? thanks..

James, check out this link which has a quote by Jim Eshelmen on Bradley and the ennead. I believe this is the most complete information we have.

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10659

Bradley died in 1974, and the first edition of Solar and Lunar Returns was in 1948. Lots of years in between that book and his ennead research! The book was reprinted later, but apparently there were no editorial changes.