Which Vedic Astrology Software do you use or prefer most?

Parashara's Light
Total votes: 1 (20%)
Shri Jyoti Star
Total votes: 2 (40%)
Kala
Goravani (No votes)
Other
Total votes: 5

POLL--Which Vedic Astrology Program--POLL

Dear All,

I am trying to decide which Vedic Software program to purchase. I have mostly narrowed it down to two programs but still value opinions especially from people on Skyscript.

I use a Mac, but for at least some options below I can use Crossover or Wine.

I am prioritizing: Easy of use, customizability, easy to navigate and use interface, reliable and accurate calculations, breadth of features, interpretative aids and texts, facilitating the learning of Jytoish, and not being too overwhelming on the overall system (i.e., no frequent crashes or freezes, not overwhelming RAM or prcessor, etc).

I am just listing the main four programs that I most frequently see and that are used in the United States. If there are other suggestions, I would gladly hear them. Perhaps choosing 'Other' in the poll and then commenting below would help.

I would appreciate hearing from this community about their preferences, thanks. Thanks in advance to all!

Most of us are not going to be using a Mac, and most of us are not going to have experience with more than one or maybe two programs because we can't afford to purchase several programs. It seems you will have better luck with replies posting on "Vedic" sites. (No, I don't have links to those sites.) I don't know if any of the free Jyotish programs on the Internet run on Mac computers. Have you been following the software posts on the "News and Notices" topic on skyscript?

Just now I see that Parashara's Light is available for Mac computers. I've used PL since the days of DOS, and have been very happy with the program, especially the choice of circular wheels, multiple calculation choices and lack of software bugs. The last I heard the program still required an individual code for each computer for installation. I don't like that at all because it makes us totally dependent of the company which might not be around when we buy a new computer. Latest version is 9, but I use an older version for my older operating system.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Therese,

Thanks for the reply and helpful response! PL is one of my top choices, along with SJS, so I am glad to hear that at least one person responded on at least one of them!

PL would probably be easier to use on my machine and it seems to have more teaching aids and texts to go along with it. Though I will be switching Macs in a few months, I appreciate the heads up about codes (and it would probably be best to inform the company ahead of time about that should I choose PL).

SJS seems to have more features and options, on the other hand. And there are loads of Youtube videos explaining features. There do not seem as many as PL. I get the sense that SJS is more widely used than PL too, but I am not certain of that.

Again, thanks for the response!

Skyman, I'm not sure if SJS has more features and options, so do a lot of careful research comparing the two programs. SJS seems to have much more public advertising such as videos. PL seems to be much more in the background. I didn't even receive an email about the latest upgrade. Please feel free to ask me if you are wondering about any features. As a western astrologer I do appreciate PL's attractive circular wheels. I never liked the square Indian charts.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

I have read a lot about how good Kala is supposed to be but maybe it only works on MS?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly