Ibn Ezra’s health delineation

Hello, everyone.

I would like to share some of Ibn Ezra’s judgments on health and diseases with an example. Feel free to add others and I might add other rules he mentions in his texts. Translations are mine, from the Book "Judgment of the Newborn".

Franz Rosenzweig was a Jewish theologian, philosopher and translator and died at young age (43) due to Lou Gehrig's disease (aka as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - the same that Stephen Hawking had). I tried to analyze Hawking’s map but I found no time of birth.

Ibn Ezra wrote: And then one must consider the matter of diseases. In order to do so, one must look at the Ascendant, the sixth house and the relation that Saturn and Mars might have with those two places. If one of them or even both of them aspect these places, this will indicate diseases and health problems. This will be even stronger if one of the luminaries is at the angles.
Franz has Mars on a wide-orb sextile with the Asc and Saturn in an almost perfect sextile with the 6th cusp. Born in a New Moon, the luminaries are in the 1st (even though not exactly at the Ascendant or Ascendant sign).
Ibn Ezra wrote: You can know what organs or parts of the organs will be affected by the disease by looking at the ruling planet.
Ibn Ezra doesn’t specify which ruler should one use (L1, L6, ruler of the luminaries or some other?). In any case, notice how Sun, Moon and Mars are all disposed by Saturn and Saturn is heavily debilitated (retrograde and in detriment). Saturn rules bones and muscles (the main structure affected in Lou Gehrig's disease.
Ibn Ezra wrote: The planets also show the following: if they are oriental, they cause constant pain. If they are occidental, the diseases come and go in cycles.
Saturn is oriental.
Ibn Ezra wrote: When Venus is occidental and Saturn is with her, or if she is aspected to him; or if Mars is rising upon her, or opposite her, and the newborn is male, he won’t have any children; if female, she will have abortions or will give birth before the full time.
Venus is occidental and wide-orb opposed to Saturn (opposition by signs). From what I know, Franz didn’t have any children. Since Ibn Ezra discusses this here, it seems that he is referring to cases in which health problems hinder the native of having children. In other places he mentions cases in which one does not have children simply because he/she doesn’t want it.
Ibn Ezra wrote: When both luminaries and Venus are in masculine quadrants, and if the Moon is occidental and the malefics are in the above mentioned degrees, the newborn will have problems with his masculinity, specially if this happens in Capricorn, Leo, Scorpio, Aries and Aquarius.
The meaning of "problems with his masculinity" is obscure, but, again, since it is mentioned in the chapter of diseases, probably it relates to barrenness and infertility, even though the Hebrew expression (much like the English one) can mean that the native will be a homossexual.

Franz’s luminaries and Venus are in masculine quadrants and the Moon is occidental. They are all in Capricorn. There are no medical or historical records about his ability to have children, but this may indicate he couldn’t. Franz was married to Edith, who - when Franz couldn’t write anymore - would recite letters of the alphabet for him until he indicated for her to stop, continuing until she could guess the word or phrase he wanted to write.
Ibn Ezra wrote: If both luminaries are together approaching malefics, and if the malefics are at the angles or are going towards the luminaries - specially when the Moon is at the head of Aquarius, or its tail, or even in Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio or Capricon, the newborn will have a hunchback, will be limp or the like.
Franz has this in his chart, and, as noted, the luminaries in Capricorn. His disease typically causes all the problems mentioned by Ibn Ezra - hunchback, limping, etc.

BEST
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

If you want, you can use my late husband’s chart who died of Huntington’s disease. He was born February 13, 1944, 10:54am, eastern war time,Detroit Michigan. He died on April 25, 1998 at about 4am in Vero beach Fl. My husband had a very strong air chart with mercury and Uranus in aspect and mutual reception. This is common with neurological diseases. The person you mention has mars in an air sign in aspect to Saturn in an air sign. Amy[/u]

Thank you for the data, Amy.

Here is the chart:

And here is what I could see.
And then one must consider the matter of diseases. In order to do so, one must look at the Ascendant, the sixth house and the relation that Saturn and Mars might have with those two places. If one of them or even both of them aspect these places, this will indicate diseases and health problems. This will be even stronger if one of the luminaries is at the angles.
Saturn is sextile Asc and squaring the 6th house.
You can know what organs or parts of the organs will be affected by the disease by looking at the ruling planet.
Saturn’s ruler, Mercury (also L6) rules nervous system and locomotion. Ibn Ezra mentions speech, thought and language. All of those are affected by Huntington’s disease.

Mars rules the Ascendant, and I don’t know if this was the case, but it would also explain muscular problems caused by the disease.
The planets also show the following: if they are oriental, they cause constant pain. If they are occidental, the diseases come and go in cycles.
Saturn is occidental. I don’t think the disease comes and goes in Huntington’s case, but maybe Amy can tell.

Besides that, it seems that Ibn Ezra’s rules were pretty accurate here.
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

Thanks for the analysis. I felt that it was pretty accurate. However, I always thought that the 12th house rules chronic illnesses. Ron’s 12th house is ruled by Neptune which is in a air grand trine with mercury and Uranus. Pluto rules his 8th house and it opposes natal mercury. I personally have Saturn square my ascendant, Pluto is trine ascendant and neptune sextile. I always thought that I am prone to Venus illness as it rules my 6th house and is in my 8th house extremely closely square natal mars. Thanks. Amy[/code]

Hello, Amy!

Thank you for the data.

One analysis does not invalidate the other. I was just showing how Ibn Ezra suggested delineating diseases.

I must say that I never thought of chronic illnesses as the 12th, but it does make sense to me. I have always used the 6th by itself.
I personally have Saturn square my ascendant... I always thought that I am prone to Venus illness as it rules my 6th house and is in my 8th house extremely closely square natal mars

According to Ibn Ezra, I’d suggest analyzing also the Ascendant ruler in that case. And try and see if they are oriental (constant pain) or occidental (come and go in cycles).

BEST
Yair Alon
Kabbalist