vedic dasas

can anyone tell me how much the times for these dasas get altered if i choose a different system to use - fagan, verses lahiri, and etc?

or is there one system that is mostly used and that is generally the default most siderealists use? i am curious and hope i have formatted my question to make sense..

i happen to notice the dasas change depending on which system of sidereal i am using.. thanks..

Re: vedic dasas

james_m wrote:can anyone tell me how much the times for these dasas get altered if i choose a different system to use - fagan, verses lahiri, and etc?

or is there one system that is mostly used and that is generally the default most siderealists use? i am curious and hope i have formatted my question to make sense..

i happen to notice the dasas change depending on which system of sidereal i am using.. thanks..
Yes, the dating of dasas will change a lot with different ayanamsas. Even a few minutes in birth time will change the timing of dasas, so the ayanamsa can have major changes. Many Dasa systems are based on the degree and minute of the natal Moon. The default dasa system is Vimshottari, and includes nine planetary periods including Rahu and Ketu. I've found the most accurate dasa dates use the Krishnamurti ayanamsa which is only slightly different from Lahiri.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

thanks therese! and thanks again for the recommendation for that nodes book that was discussed on the other thread/s... it is quite good!

i am curious.. is this dasa system the main predictive tool in vedic? does everything work inside of this? thanks..

The Dasa system is a backdrop for everything else. Transits are very important, and many astrologers use the solar return or Varshaphal chart. Dasas aren't as simple as simply knowing the planetary period that is active. Often the planet acts through the nakshatra (lunar mansion) lord of the Periods 1 and 2 planets that are in effect.

Many factors have to be combined: house position of planets, houses ruled by planets, shad bala (planetary strength) totals. It's complicated, but western sidereal students (especially of the Fagan school) who experiment with Dasas often look only at the nature of the ruling planets. That won't give you any useful information about Dasa periods.

thanks therese.. i thought that might be the case... thanks! i think i need a dictionary for all the vedic / indian terms in use.. i am running into problems in this regard with some of the present books i have... usually they explain what the term means - hora - horoscope and etc.. but not always..

it does seem that the nakshatra's are a very significant a part of the understanding of a planets placement and etc.. i get this from reading trash pravedis book on the nodes.. btw - have you read his book on the nakshatras? it has been out for some time...

regarding planetary power - shad bali... how much of this is broken down differently as a result of different schools of thinking in vedic astro?

are you familiar with this book on shadbala?
http://sagarpublications.com/astrology/ ... plication/

i suppose i am trying to get a grip on where to begin in better understanding vedic astrology... mark mentioned a book -- light on life by hart defouw and robert svoboda.. are you familiar with it?

what why do you recommend i proceed to put everything in perspective here? thanks..

James wrote:
I think i need a dictionary for all the vedic / indian terms in use.. i am running into problems in this regard with some of the present books i have... usually they explain what the term means - hora - horoscope and etc.. but not always..
I learned India's astrology way back in the 1970s before the birth of the American "Vedic" group in 1992. Back then B.V. Raman tried to make it easy for western students and used many English words for Indian terms. There seems to be almost a snob value today in keeping as many Sanskrit and Indian words as possible. Also there is no need to use square Indian charts in the west. They can be difficult to read for students used to circular charts. I always use western style wheels.

Yes, I have Prash Trivedi's nakshatra book, 27 Celestial Portals. Like his node book, this is the most complete book on the 27 mansions. Other books can't touch it for content--everything he covers. This isn't to say that Trivedi is 100 percent accurate. But he does include a lot of material that isn't in other books. And he's a native of India, so has more of an authentic background. The book has 27 paintings to match the mansions.

As far as I know Shad Bala calculations are the same everywhere. Shad Bala is covered in many books, and of course Jyotish software calculates Shad Bala instantly. Shad Bala seems to be very accurate in showing which planets are part of our psychology and talents (high shad bala count) and which planets are in the background or need more work on our part (low shad bala count).
Are you familiar with this book on shadbala?
http://sagarpublications.com/astrology/ ... plication/

I haven't seen that book. It was first published in 2017, at least that is the date on Amazon.

I don't call India's astrology "Vedic." That term was introduced in California in 1992. Chakrapani began using "Vedic" at the suggestion of Muktananda. But (as others have said) India's horoscopic astrology isn't in the Vedas.
I suppose i am trying to get a grip on where to begin in better understanding vedic astrology... mark mentioned a book -- light on life by hart defouw and robert svoboda.. are you familiar with it?
I've had the book since it first came out in 1996. But it would be a difficult book for beginners. Though it's one of the best books on India's astrology, still a few western concepts have crept into the text.

What do you recommend i proceed to put everything in perspective here? thanks..

The book that gives the most accurate view of India's astrology is Valerie J. Roebucks's Circle of Stars. The book is a superb foundation, but won't teach you how to read a birth chart. I would have to think a little about which books are best for that. All the most recent books are beginning to include concepts copied from Tropical astrology. But India's classic and more accurate texts are difficult to read and would discourage beginners.

I just remembered a little book that is fun to read and a work of art---every page is beautiful. The book isn't entirely accurate and definitely has a western tone, but still, for an introduction to basic concepts it might be O.K. before hitting other books. Vedic Astrology Simply Put by William R. Levacy. (I haven't really "read" the book all the way through. I just enjoy looking at the art design and paintings.)

hi therese,

thanks so much! i find it all so very fascinating... i was familiar with astrology from india back in the 70's when it used to be called indian astrology... i still think of it like that, but i know vedic is the popular word that gets used now..

i am not sure how far i am going to go with all this, but i have found prash's book on the nodes really great... i am curious to read his book 27 portals.. they no longer carry it at sagars.. i have a friend in delhi right now and they were at the store the other day! they are coming back and bringing me a few books from sagars.. i was hoping for that one.. i will have to find it another way.. i can only read so many at a time.. putting it all into perspective is another layer of work and time..

thanks for sharing your insights and ideas here therese.. i will come back to it again.. i really appreciate it.. cheers james

Happy to be of help, James. Trivedi's nakshatra book is on Amazon, now with two titles: Book of Nakshatras (2016) and 27 Celestial Portals. (2006) The price of the new title is more than the old title: $30 USD rather than $23 USD. Some less expensive used copies.

There are more pages in the new edition. Indian authors do that a lot---add a few pages, change the name of the book, and raise the price. I've been trapped once or twice into buying the same Indian book with a new title.