House systems in Horary

Hello peeps.

Just thought I'd raise this subject because a little while ago, I was browsing another astrology forum, and a horary question came up. Most of us that answered used Regiomontanus and got the same answer, but someone came on with different primary significators and therefore a completely different answer. When I asked her why it turned out that she was using Placidus. :shock: She said she preferred to use Placidus in all her astrology work as it gave the best results, but this has seriously worried me. This person gives horary consultations to people. I don't know what her qualifications are, but if she's using Placidus she could potentially be giving inaccurate readings.

What does everyone else think of this? Has anyone used a different house system to Regiomontanus and got good/bad results?

We've gone over this before, but it is an important topic, and should be brought up from time to time as we pick up new members who may have missed previous discussions.

I really don't think it matters what house system one uses as long as one is consistent in its use. In other words, if Regiomontanus doesn't give the answer we're hoping for, switching to a different system ad hoc isn't good astrology. Most horary astrologers use Regiomontanus for a variety of reasons. Since most horary astrologers will have studied Lilly, they will begin using that system, and since most horary astrologers use Regio, it makes it easier when they communicate amongst themselves, if they are all using the same system.

There is no magic house system that always gives the right answer, and all the others give wrong ones. Rob Hand has even experimented using whole sign houses with horary. Lilly himself used Alchabitius cusps when he first started. If the astrologer uses Placidus consistently and consistently gets good results (no one gets perfect results), then stick with it. However, if one is getting poor results, and the techniques are sound, then perhaps looking at a different house system is in order.

Tom

houses

Astrology is not "science", where can only be one right answer, and all others are wrong, even if the right answer changes every time, as Chris Warnock once said.

Unlike other systems, like natal charts, horary are extremely linked to the astrologer, so a system of domification used with consistency, will probably give consistent results. Of course this DOESN?t mean you can use it whatever way you want "because the skys will provide the answer". The astrology makes the rules, not the astrologer. I strongly disaprove doing modern analysis, like harmonics, uranian midpoints, etc, in a system with its own logic, symetry and rules. No one is saying modern astrology doesn?t work, but it should be restricted to its own reign, like sun signs horoscope. It shouldn?t come to tradicional to try and convince us that "Pluto is the real ruler of scorpio" or things like that.

In another quest, it was said about using asteroids and galactic center... I believe this is a positivist, pragmatic aproach to astrology which I don?t agree, even if in a few tests it gives good results. Astrology is an ancient art, so an improve in its techniques should take a lifetime, not just "I did this paperwork" like we do in science. It should be asked if we believe tradicional astrology have a set of rules coming from an ancient knowledge we no longer possess, of if we believe in a progressist view, where their knowledge can?t be compared with ours, great hypertech mortals. I believe in the first choice.

This being said, is important to know if this woman really know what she is doing and why: For example, most astrologers use placidus nowadays for a simple reason, is the default option in many software !

If you want to learn horary, you should at first learn in regiomontanus. Why ? Because the tradition of Lilly, most of us follow, use this. Without this, you can?t communicate with other astrologers. AFTER you master horary, and you have a good understanding of the diferences in domifications, and you compare the answers in a LOT of examples, then I think you can really say what system "gives best results", and that stricly to you.

But pardon my cynism, I doubt very much this person had taken any precautions before doing her choice. It?s more easy to do as we please than to learn an strictly set of rules and apply then with great care.
Y