Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Timekeeping and late classical astrology.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveGus

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Timekeeping and late classical astrology. Reply with quote

I've been interested in both astrology and mechanical clocks since I was small. Now, reasonably accurate mechanical clocks only became possible after the invention of the balance spring in the 1660s and the pendulum clock in the 1670s. It was around this time that the prestige of astrology started to significantly wane among the scientific establishment. Decent mechanical timekeepers, reliable in rain or shine, mostly arrived too late for Lilly and the rest of the late classical astrologers.

I was wondering what the time sources were for the times cited in Christian Astrology and the like. Of course, a properly oriented and constructed sundial could give a reasonably accurate time, although even here the 'equation of time' makes a sundial 'off' by as much as 20 minutes depending on the time of the year. A quadrant could give equally accurate results with some bother, and an astrolabe would work by night. Still, I wonder what the sources for the local time of day were in those delineations. I find it hard to imagine that the sun was shining in London each time Lilly was consulted. Were those astrologers early adopters of better mechanical clocks?

- Nostradamus, Centuries 3:81
Mark

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

As your question seems more historical and technical I suggest posting it on the traditional forum. Your more likely to get a response there.

regards,

Mark
JustinBowser

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Astrology Reply with quote

Astrology is the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial objects as a means for divining information about human affairs and terrestrial events. Astrology has been dated to at least the second millennium. Throughout most of its history, astrology was considered a scholarly tradition. Astrology, in its broadest sense, is the search for meaning in the sky. I am experienced essayist and blogger at best essay writing services and I am intended on writing academic cases for the past several years that are assisted me to gain knowledge in writing grading assignments for all sorts of students. I have worked in different companies in essay writing.
waybread

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveGus, you've probably checked the obvious places, like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_timekeeping_devices

My understanding is that clients' unawareness of their birth times (or probably even birth dates) was a big impetus for the development of horary astrology. Were these times entirely accurate? I doubt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Philosophy & Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: