Is my sleep problem caused by work?

?Is my sleep problem caused by work??

Querent is having a hard time getting a full night?s sleep and is asking the question. It?s late degree but I will try to read the chart.

At first I thought it looks like ?work? seems to be the cause, after seeing L10 Mars is combusted by the Sun and Mars is also in fall and anaretic degree. Ascendant is 28*31? Capricorn opposed by the Sun and Mars.

Well, this might be part of querent?s problem -- however I started to look into other aspects and got a few more ideas:

I think peregrine Moon (L6) decreasing in light has a lot to do with the sleep problem in this chart. First, the Moon will trine Jupiter and soon after that the Moon will conjunct Venus. Eventually both the Moon and Venus will oppose Saturn and end with sextile Mercury.

Therefore, I wondered if it is possible that trine aspects between Venus and Jupiter (with help of the Moon) might bring some solution (i.e. more sleep) that the querent is desperately seeking, since Saturn represents the querent and it is placed in 11th house. I see it is only one side reception between Jupiter and Venus -- furthermore, Venus is in Jupiter?s detriment (but they are both in own term, could this help? . . . well, maybe not).

to be continued . . .
Last edited by Part of Fortune on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi,

Earlier, I thought of Mercury as querent?s doctor (conjunct NN) but I?m not sure of that anymore. The Moon and Venus are both in Gemini and Lord of the sign Mercury is placed in H7 (doctor) sextile to Venus (cure), as well as Mercury trine Saturn in H11 (method of cure). But then if Mercury is the doctor why is it separating from them? (by the way, the querent has not yet consulted with their doctor.)

Mercury has separating trine from Saturn, and Saturn is in detriment of Mercury. Mercury also has separating square from MC. I wonder what is Mercury?s role here ? sleeplessness?

Another idea I?m developing is to look for the cure in 2nd house matter because Jupiter in 8th and P of F in 2nd have connection by Antiscion. Venus (natural ruler of 2nd) conjunct the Moon (CancerH6, the illness) and Venus (throat, food intake) is parting from P of F in Pisces. Venus is also parting from Jupiter in Libra in 8th house (elimination, after taken nutrition).

Incidentally, according to the sources I have, both the Sun and Mars represent ?Eating?. Also 5th rules stomach ? and Venus and the Moon are placed there -- could it be something to do with a nutritional problem is underlying this, such as lack of calcium in the body? What else is there in the chart I?m missing?

This is a beautiful chart. It embodies everything that Medical Astrology can do for a person to heal.

There is a question behind the question. The querent already knows the work is part of the problem, or else he would likely not ask in the first place. But he sure has a hunch that there is something else he cannot put his finger on. So he is really asking what the cause is.

Questions of the type: "what is causing my??.?" (lack of sleep) are diagnosis questions. They require a specific technique to answer, without which we can, at best, only give a fraction of the answer. At worst, we will give bad advice which will not help the person heal or aggravate the situation.

An understanding of the elements is necessary to answer diagnosis questions.

An understanding of the separation of cause and symptoms is necessary to answer diagnosis questions. The technique used must establish both separately.

Mars is a Symptom. Mercury is a symptom. The Sun is a Symptom. Saturn itself is a symptom (Melatonin/Sleep). Jupiter is the cause. They must be interpreted. The interpretation shows the complete problem and gives the cure.

But even while having the right technique we cannot answer the question without background information. We are not psychics. We need clues and clear information to interpret the symbols. Astrologers have to ask questions to the querent.

Ask him what he has been doing besides work that may be causing it. You will be surprised how much people know, and then you find it in the chart and give a clear answer. What else is going on in his life? The problem is not only the work. Why is he working so much?

Why is Saturn in mutual reception with his problem, Jupiter? Why are Mars and the Sun in Jupiter's major dignity?

The Moon is in opposite reception with Jupiter than Saturn. Why? Why, the internal conflict? Should we consider house 12, since Saturn is its ruler? How is his marriage/relationship? How is his money? Food? Does he exercise? Does he drink alcohol? Smoke? Drugs?

Ask the querent for a complete statement about his life.

If we go to the doctor we have to give details about our symptoms. The same with a horary astrologer.

Once you know what is going on you can interpret the chart and give advice.

If you provide adequate context I will comment more.
Last edited by felipeastrologo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

Hello Felipe,

I sent your reply to the querent and here is the information I received.

No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol.
One hour of walking per day.
Happy marriage.
High blood pressure ? takes medicine for it.
Slightly diabetic.
Diet is as recommended for slightly diabetic.
Income covers food and lodging for wife and him.
Discontinued Prozac several months ago after 20 years ? done in stages as instructed by doctor; Prozac had been prescribed for OCD and depression.
Work environment is high pressure.
Querent experiencing increase self-doubt re quality of job performance.
Querent has problem developing interests and activities in free time ? lack of motivation, energy and inspiration.

Note: I have known querent and his wife for many years. The couple is devoted to each other and they are cultured and intellectual. Husband used to go bird watching and used to play piano but has not been doing so for a while.

Thank you very much.

felipeastrologo wrote:This is a beautiful chart. It embodies everything that Medical Astrology can do for a person to heal.

Mars is a Symptom. Mercury is a symptom. The Sun is a Symptom. Saturn itself is a symptom (Melatonin/Sleep). Jupiter is the cause. They must be interpreted. The interpretation shows the complete problem and gives the cure.
I wondered about why Jupiter is the cause (rather than the Moon --that?s what I had thought to be the cause). Then I realized that 8th house rules diseases.

I saw one of the sites listed that Jupiter in 8th includes ?sleeping sickness?.
I wonder if this goes either way -- for too much sleep or not enough sleep?

Part of Fortune wrote:I wondered about why Jupiter is the cause
Saturn is a cold-dry planet in a hot-dry sign. That alone confirms he is sick. Saturn's dipositor is the cause. Specifically, he has a cardinal excess of air, as Jupiter is in Libra. That is the diagnosis technique.

The Moon is not the cause. The cause is, 99% of the times, L1's dispositor. But the Moon points at a major factor/symptom: in this case, house 5 ? pancreas, liver or both (given the information you have given). So Mercury and Venus are major factors ? I will write more about them later.
Part of Fortune wrote:I wonder if this goes either way -- for too much sleep or not enough sleep?
To much or too little of anything is a problem. The whole idea of traditional healing is achieving a certain degree of balance. What matters is understanding the cause and making changes to remove it in order to achieve balance and minimize or eliminate symtoms.

Please see if you can get the following information from the querent:

How often he measures his blood glucose levels?
What are the measurement numbers he is getting daily.
Describe his diabetic diet.
How long has he been a diabetic?
Is it diabetes type 2. Please confirm.
When was the last time he did a blood exam to check his A1C level?
What is his A1C level?
What medications does he take to control his diabetes? Glaburyde? Metformin?
When did the sleep problem begin?
When was the last time he saw a doctor to discuss his health condition?
Why was Prozac discontinued?
Has the OCD and depression gone away? How?

I will write a complete interpretation after I hear back from you. For now I will only mention that his diabetes and blood pressure are central to his sleeping problem.
Last edited by felipeastrologo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Felipe Oliveira

Hi Felipe,

Here are the answers and thank you so much!

How often he measures his blood glucose levels?
Doctor did not suggest this, so he doesn't do it.

Describe his diabetic diet.
12-15 carbohydrate servings per day

How long has he been a diabetic?
Three years.

Is it diabetes type 2. Please confirm.
Yes, it is.

When was the last time he did a blood exam to check his A1C level?
2/17.

What is his A1C level? from 3/14 to 2/17:
6.1 (3/14)
5.9 (2/17)

What medications does he take to control his diabetes? Glaburyde? Metformin?
No medicine prescribed.

When did the sleep problem begin?
Most aggravated in the last week, but off and on for a month.

When was the last time he saw a doctor to discuss his health condition?
2/17.

Why was Prozac discontinued?
Concern about memory loss and excess sleep on weekend days (14+ hours).

Has the OCD and depression gone away? How?
OCD was basically gone for several years; depression was questionable.

Is the blood pressure under control using the medication?
Yes.

Atenolol 35mg
Lisinopril 10mg-Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg tablet.
Also, Atorvastatin 10mg

Does he measure it daily?
No.

Hi Part of Fortune,

Here are my thoughts:
Part of Fortune wrote:How often he measures his blood glucose levels?
Doctor did not suggest this, so he doesn't do it.
Too bad. We have a clue that he has a "by the book, cookie cutter" doctor who believes pre-diabetes is an acceptable level of "health". It is not acceptable, it gets worse, specially in a compounded problem situation as we clearly have here.
Part of Fortune wrote:Is the blood pressure under control using the medication?
Yes.
Does he measure it daily?
No.
How does he know his blood pressure is under control if he does not measure it daily? He has been taking prescribed medication for months without having a clue if it is working or not and putting up with the side effects without questioning.

DIAGNOSIS
Saturn is a cold-dry planet in a hot-dry sign. That confirms he is sick. Saturn's dipositor is the cause and reveals the type, degree and mode of imbalance he has. He has a cardinal excess of air of about second degree, as Jupiter is in mid-Libra.

In traditional parlance he has an "blood humor", or "air" excess: he is too moist and too hot. Think of an ongoing production of steam trapped in a container with little or no outlet. What is the result? Things begin to break down and malfunction. That is the cause of his blood pressure, pre-diabetes, OCD, depression and whatever else may be happening and will happen in the near future.

SYMPTOMS
We have a person who has a known history of several health problems and is asking if "work" is causing the sleep problem. This is a sign of someone who has very little idea of how his body and mind work and places the full responsibility for his health in the hands of a doctor. This is a risky business. More often than not, this combination acts against one's own nature. This is clearly depicted by Saturn retrograde and ruling his 12th house.

Jupiter, the cause of his illneses, is the natural ruler of blood. This comes into play in two ways:

First: there is a problem with the blood. What type of problem? Too much "steam" = high blood pressure. So his BP is likely not under control.

Second: Jupiter is in a trine with its own dispositor, Venus with negative reception. That is: Venus harms Jupiter. How? Venus is sugar/carbs. Sugar harms his blood. Is there anything in the situation corroborating this? Certainly, he is pre-diabetic.

NOTE: daily amount of carb intake is only one variable in the complex diabetic contition and cannot be a measurement of health alone.

Further: the Moon points at a major factor/symptom: in this case, house 5 ? pancreas, liver or both.

Mercury is in a tight trine with Saturn with negative mutual reception. Translation: Mercury harms Saturn. This answers the main question about the sleep problem since Saturn is the significator of melatonin and the entire "sleep" mechanism.

What is Mercury? Mercury, is his pancreas and/or liver (L5), which would indicate his diabetes is causing the sleep problem. Mecury is the nerves, so the problem comes through the nerves but does not originate with the nerves.

If Mercury is the pancreas, we may have an indication that his diabetes is not type 2 alone; it may be type 1 late onset or 1.5 (LADA.) This is more common than it appears and requires a very well educated and willing doctor to address. Most people have no idea of other types of diabetes and go undiagnosed.

Just to be on the safe side it would not be a bad idea to have his heart checked, since house 5 can be the heart. But I doubt his doctor will volunteer this before some more serious symptom develops in time.

Mars is his L10. House 10 is the house of his current medications. It is hurting him, given the negative reception and position. This is a clue that he may be misdiadnosed or partially diagnosed or mal-treated or a combination. Mars is in fall and combust, therefore "hidden" and weak.

If you want to look at Mars as his work, fine with me, but you have to consider that it is weakened by combustion so it is not the main problem. His sleep problem is caused much more by other factors than his work. He should not be naive about this.

You have to consider Mercury as his L5 of pleasure becuse he has a history of depression. People with depression have difficulty having fun. Having fun is how many of us eliminate heat from our systems: sports, performing arts, gardening, sex. The term "steam off" is rather literal. It is possible that a lack in this area is largely responsible for the sleep problem. Walking one hour a day is not enough.

PROGNOSIS
He is very afflicted by multiple factors, he has to address them all methodically. Either he becomes his own healer or he finds a doctor who will work closely with him to devise a holistic treatment. I doubt his current doctor can do this.

The good news is that his condition is cardinal, meaning that if he adjust his diet, lifestyle and treatment his symptoms will subside relatively gracefully.

Saturn will eventually turn direct so there is the possibility that he may begin taken better care of himself to a degree. But it will not be easy. Before turning direct Saturn will oppose Venus. This means that his pre-diabetes is likely going to become full diabetes if a better treatment is not devised now.

Work is the least of his problems. His current treatment must change and he needs to improve his lifestyle or else he will get sicker and sleep will also be the least of his problems.

With best wishes.
--
Felipe Oliveira