Yeah, I flicked through a PDF of it once.

She says something about a foot race being a competition between the 5th and 11th house, or something similar to that.

Sorry, ModWasp - that's about as far as my memory serves.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

I have a copy of the book.

The first section on Games discusses electing a time to play against another person (cards, board games, or an outdoor one-against-one game). I suppose the election rules could be used to predict a winner in a fixed time game (even a team game) but I suspect frequently very few of the conditions to win will be met.

I don?t quite understand which person wins. The election is for the challenger to win, but in general (if you are not playing the game yourself) who is the challenger? I don?t find the chapter helpful.

After last week we should also note the following on races: ?The following rules apply to races between two competitors and not to horse-racing in general which does not come within the scope of the present book.?

Parts of the chapter appear to be taken from older texts. Those more academically inclined will be placed to provide more details, although Bonatti, Al-Kindi and al-Rijal appear possibilities, particularly placing the Lord of the Hour in the Ascendant when leaving the stable and also facing the Moon. The parts on hunting also are familiar.

I?m not sure what texts were available in the 1930s and there is no bibliography at the back of the book.

The older texts read as if the astrologer was advising someone involved in a race, which is also the basis of Robson?s approach. For somebody not directly involved in a race, like ourselves, general electional principles of choosing a favourable time would seem preferable. I don?t see it as an approach to read the race chart to find a winner.

If an electional or ritual astrological approach is being considered the chapters on lunar mansions and planetary hours are worth reading. Christopher Warnock is a better source for lunar mansions. Skyrack?s approach to bounds and faces fits more with planetary hours.

Lord of the Hour keeps popping up in my Vedic sports text research, and I think John used it for the Euro's.

I will try and get something done for Goodwood.
Last edited by Jupiterhead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.