Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Electional Astrology by Vivian Robson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ModWasp

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Electional Astrology by Vivian Robson Reply with quote

Just wondered if any regular contributor on these here pages is in possession of Electional Astrology by Vivian Robson?

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on Games and Sports (chapter 15, pages 155 - 165).

Thanks.
Jupiterhead

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I flicked through a PDF of it once.

She says something about a foot race being a competition between the 5th and 11th house, or something similar to that.

Sorry, ModWasp - that's about as far as my memory serves.
GB

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the book.

The first section on Games discusses electing a time to play against another person (cards, board games, or an outdoor one-against-one game). I suppose the election rules could be used to predict a winner in a fixed time game (even a team game) but I suspect frequently very few of the conditions to win will be met.

I donít quite understand which person wins. The election is for the challenger to win, but in general (if you are not playing the game yourself) who is the challenger? I donít find the chapter helpful.

After last week we should also note the following on races: ďThe following rules apply to races between two competitors and not to horse-racing in general which does not come within the scope of the present book.Ē
john

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of the chapter appear to be taken from older texts. Those more academically inclined will be placed to provide more details, although Bonatti, Al-Kindi and al-Rijal appear possibilities, particularly placing the Lord of the Hour in the Ascendant when leaving the stable and also facing the Moon. The parts on hunting also are familiar.

Iím not sure what texts were available in the 1930s and there is no bibliography at the back of the book.

The older texts read as if the astrologer was advising someone involved in a race, which is also the basis of Robsonís approach. For somebody not directly involved in a race, like ourselves, general electional principles of choosing a favourable time would seem preferable. I donít see it as an approach to read the race chart to find a winner.

If an electional or ritual astrological approach is being considered the chapters on lunar mansions and planetary hours are worth reading. Christopher Warnock is a better source for lunar mansions. Skyrackís approach to bounds and faces fits more with planetary hours.
Jupiterhead

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of the Hour keeps popping up in my Vedic sports text research, and I think John used it for the Euro's.

I will try and get something done for Goodwood.

Last edited by Jupiterhead on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
astralwanderer

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Vivian Robson Reply with quote

There is a useful biographical entry here, for further information:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/Robson.html

I don't have the Electional Astrology book, but his work on Fixed Stars and the Radix System is good.

Plato, Timaeus, 90.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Sport and Speculation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: