What does position of Lord of 1st house tell us?

It's been baffling me for a long time. If Lord 1 is in 8th or 12th house does it mean that current situation of the querent is bad, or that his situation will be bad if the matter of the question come to life?

For example I made a question: Should I practice taoist ritual dance for healing?
I give the ritual house 9. Jupiter on cusp of 9th - good. Lord 9 trine Lord 1 - good.

But why is Lord 1 in 12th house? Does it mean that I'm already sick or that the ritual will harm me?

Also Lord 9 in Fall of Lord 1 is bad I think.

When you ask about something to help your health you are asking about L10: a treatment. And here we look at house 9 as well for the "ritual" for additional information.

Mars, L10 is in no dignity of Saturn so it will not do anything for Saturn. Saturn and Mars are in opposition in the 6-12 house axis. This shows the treatment is too week to do any good. And Saturn is too weak to cope with the requirements to receive any benefit.

Venus, L9, as you pointed out, is in Saturn's fall and, being in a close trine, will easily harm you. Trine is not "good" just because it is a trine. We have to look at the context and receptions.

You are in house 12, your L12 (which doubles as your friend: L11) is right on the 9th cusp and Saturn and Jupiter are in positive mutual reception. Both are barely dignified by face and retrograde so don't quite know where they are going. This is the recipe to hurt yourself if you proceed.

So, not helpful and has a risk of hurting you or making your condition worse. At best, the effort wil not be worth it.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

Thanks. Sometime ago I made similiar reading, asking if dr Sebi herbs will help me. Lord 10 here is exalted and has reception with Lord 1 so it looks good, but why is it in 8th house?

It tells the condition only. In the context of this horary chart it means you are not motivated enough, and finally will change your mind (Saturn is retrograde).
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
Marcus Aurelius

Hello Hareton,

Both Felipe and AstroMarie have already answered what I?ve just learned from reading your chart. In addition to what already has been said I would like to add a few more comments to your chart.

I think several areas in the chart show your interest in practicing this ritual dance. One of Rulerships of dance belongs to sign Pisces and your significator Saturn is in Sagittarius located in 12th house, the domain of Pisces and Jupiter. The 9th house represents beliefs and rituals; and Jupiter conjunct the cusp. Your significator, Saturn is ruled by Jupiter, hence your interest in Taoist ritual dance (relationship by mutual reception).

Aside from Pisces, Venus also represents dance so the dance theme comes back again with Libra at the cusp of 9th and Venus the lord there. Venus and Jupiter also represent remedies and this Venus in Aries is in terms of Mercury (L6, house of illness) but unfortunately Venus is detriment at the moment (as already mentioned Aries is Saturn?s fall).

The condition of two planets, Mercury and Mars in H6 along with Saturn Rx indicates your health problem. Mercury in Taurus (Venus) opposition MC (Scorpio/Mars) again suggests you seek remedy for your health by using the ritual dance.

Mars in H6 is describing your action and thoughts (Gemini) regarding 6th house matter. I?m not sure ritual dance would work for you in this case because of harsh relationship with Saturn Rx in H12 (Gemini/Sagittarius opposition). But Saturn and Mars are separating from each other?s company therefor perhaps you might not pursue the practice. Possibly change of mind (as mentioned) dealing with two retrograde planets, Jupiter (remedy) and Saturn (you).

However if you already have, maybe you might find it not very satisfactory to your health because H4 (the end of the matter) is Taurus. The Moon is moving away from Venus and the Moon is in Virgo (Venus?s fall) as well as it is in terms of Mercury.

Please let us know the result.

PS: Have you tried Qi gong excise for healing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

It's been baffling me for a long time. If Lord 1 is in 8th or 12th house does it mean that current situation of the querent is bad, or that his situation will be bad if the matter of the question come to life?
This is a very good but complicated question in general and depends on the other factors in the chart, such as the degree and essential dignity of the planet and what planets it is applying to or separating from, and also the condition of the Moon. Essential dignity generally shows the energy or quality of the person and their nature in the situation and the house placement is the environment in which that energy is expressed. Whether this is the energy of the moment or what will happen around the situation depends.

The 12th can have a lot of meanings, such as lack of action or movement by the querent in a situation or working in ways that don't help them (cadent houses in general often can show this, particularly the 6th and 12th because they don't aspect the ascendant) whether they want to make progress or not. They can feel sort of incapable of doing anything about the matter, or trapped. In a question on health, versus online shopping, versus a question on a romantic relationship, this can obviously have many shades of meaning and severity.

If a planet is in the 12th but is received by a well placed and good planet in applying aspect (such as Jupiter receiving it), we might see some hope for improvement although the current situation might be bad. Here the querent in the 12th i think helps describe the current situation/problem, since we normally might think of Saturn retrograde in the 12th in a health horary as feeling fatigued and unwell, with a retrograde significator in a horary showing being unwell due to a chronic illness or the return of an illness. Were Saturn stationary about to turn retrograde, we would think the querent is about to go to a worse state than current, if going from retrograde to direct, they might be getting better. I actually had a sick friend a few years ago that ignored my advice about going to the hospital when he had a respiratory infection and I asked a question about him where his significator Mercury had just turned stationary retrograde in the 8th with no benefic influence. I pleaded with him to go to the hospital and he finally did after that but died that evening. I take that sort of signification rather seriously as a result. The movement in a health horary especially can be significant about what is currently happening versus what might happen if things continue as asked. Here Saturn is not improving, so it will continue its current situation.

A little more on Saturn retro: http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5203

The nature of the planet in the house has a lot of say on the matter too. Moon in the 12th, or primary significators, in ancient text is often referred to as the querent being in great despair at that moment or even possibly thinking of suicide when coming to the astrologer. So that can indicate how they currently feel. I think to assume this in any situation can be taking a bit of leap though. I remember receiving a reading from a professional astrologer (i had paid for a reading) where I had this in the chart and they assumed I was under great distress when I was actually just very cautious about the situation. I was fairly detached and unemotional and tried to remain objective. If anything, my emotions were bottled. But at the same time I was also not actually doing anything about the situation, so I remained inactive in the matter (I did nothing) and that was the wise thing to do in that particular situation. As for Saturn, it rejoices in the 12th but that is because in a chart we normally don't want Saturn to have a lot of say, so placing Saturn in the 12th makes it unable to do as much bad, (unless it aspects important planets from that house and especially if it doesn't receive them, meaning it DOES have a say and not for good).

The current situation can also be described by planets in the 1st such as Mars in the 1st indicating anger, a headache, etc.

Additionally, if a planet is at a late or early degree, this shows a change or new condition. In a fixed sign, they are more likely to not change the current situation. If the ascendant sign and the ascendant ruler are both cardinal then this might show a lot of change involving the querent/situation. In a later degree we would wonder if the condition is at a crisis point or about to change to another state (bad or good depending on the next sign). This can be true when looking at the qualities and degrees of the angles also.