Jupiter in the VIII house?

I?m a bit puzzled with a natal chart ? this is not my own but of a man I know superficially. The data is 6th March 1956 2.18 am 60N31 026E57.

I?ve studied modern astrology for years but got more and more deeply in the traditional methods in the last few months and so I have to struggle with the basics. In this nativity the Ascendant is in 4 Sag 20, so the ruler (both domicile and almuten) is Jupiter in the VIII house.

Jupiter is in a relatively good condition being in it?s own triplicity in Leo (in a nocturnal chart) and in mutual reception with the Sun by sign and with Mars by face. It?s trining Venus, opposing Mercury (can we say here ?afflicted by Mercury? or do you use that phrase only with the malefics?) and conjuncting Pluto. It's retrogade, but I think it?s biggest problem is that it's in the unfortunate VIII house.

So, how does the house position affect here? Does it mean that the Jupiter is relatively potent but unable to work and that?s all there is to say about it? Or does Jupiter turn the ominous VIII house to something benefical and if so, what could it be? Getting benefit for someone else?s death (inheritance or something like that)? Becoming happy only by giving everything away for the benefit of others (kind of noble selfishness)? Devoting oneself to occult sciences? Something else? I would think it must have something to do with the main themes in life, because Jupiter rules the Ascendant.

Then there?s another interesting point, the Moon/Mars conjunction in Capricorn in the I house. Mars is exalted and strong but the Moon is in it?s detriment, so clearly the Moon is submitted to Mars. Does the conjunction make things worse or is the Moon in kind of patronage of Mars, kind of under it?s wings and so Mars would be kind of protecting Moon in the otherwise hostile environment? Mars is receiving the Moon in it?s exaltation after all.

So, basically, what we have here is a relatively strong planet, Jupiter, in a bad house and a weak planet, the Moon, in a strong, angular house. What?s the basic fundamental difference here? How does a weak planet perform in a potent placement?

Best, Sari

Where was the birth? Longitude and latitude are fine, if accompanied by a time zone. Can't do the chart wihtout a time zone. City, and state make things a bit easier for those of us with computer Atlases.

If Jupiter in Leo is in mutual reception with Sun in Pisces, this is Jupiter's way out of the 8th house. Planets in the 6th, 8th, and 12th have difficulty "getting out." In other words they cannot act as they otherwise would. Aspect with a dispositor or mutual reception allows the planet to realize its potential.

I can't do more with this without a chart.

Tom

8th house jupiter probably means inheritance, substance and/or expansion through others that he associates with and interest in matters of life and death, or at least a deep understanding of it, practical or not (Mengeli, the nazi doctor, had a Mars in Aquarius in 8th, so a planet in there always relates to death I guess). This could be any type of expansion depending whom Jupiter rules, but it has to go through 7th house. For example, if Jupiter rules 7th and sits on the 8th, he would financially benefit his spouse, if the 11th, his friends. If the planet's dignity is not good, expect losses that hurt him, but not so much as Jupiter is still a benefic and if there is an outlet for him to benefit from it all is well.

In my case, I have Jupiter in Sagitarius in 8th and the result is that I work as journalist and have to see dead bodies or deal with such more often than most would. Now, Jupiter rules my 9th, of press (the comunication is 3rd, the press is 9th) and the newspaper is actually from my family (meaning the income of the money I "use" is not actually mine, but from the 2nd of 7th house (8th) and my 7th has my mother ruler nicely sitting there, as she owns the business after my father died). Jupiter ruling my 12th as well, it shows that I do not like very much my job, and feel somewhat restrained by it. Now, my sun in 6th sextiles my Jupiter in a tight orb, so you get the picture. I do profit from it due to my 2nd house ruler being strong, but actually my family and other associates does as well.

I had some others inheritances also, through indirect ways.

In my case, I have Jupiter in Sagitarius in 8th and the result is that I work as journalist and have to see dead bodies or deal with such more often than most would. Now, Jupiter rules my 9th, of press (the comunication is 3rd, the press is 9th) and the newspaper is actually from my family (meaning the income of the money I "use" is not actually mine, but from the 2nd of 7th house (8th) and my 7th has my mother ruler nicely sitting there, as she owns the business after my father died). Jupiter ruling my 12th as well, it shows that I do not like very much my job, and feel somewhat restrained by it. Now, my sun in 6th sextiles my Jupiter in a tight orb, so you get the picture. I do profit from it due to my 2nd house ruler being strong, but actually my family and other associates does as well.
This evaluation is quite related to the readings I read from a blog.