Dispositors

Hi deb, you wrote:

>>>BTW, Whilst I was away I listened to one of Rob Hand?s taped lectures on reception and he places great emphasis on the dispositor, (when aspected by a planet in its sign), becoming the receptacle of the visitor?s influence.<<<

Thanks for the reply, and I wanted to mention that I have heard Rob's discussion on the subject and did enjoy it, but I think a much simpler approach can be taken to the subject that the Aristotelian one.

Using my previous real estate analogy, we can look at dispositorship as a one way reception, disregarding the aspect criteria. I use it primarily for analysis of the effects of planetary periods in Hindu astrology due to my many years of experience with that subject, but in western traditional astrology it provides invaluable insight into the way that profections, time-lord systems and other predictive methods work out.

If Mars were in Taurus and Venus anywhere other than Aries, Scorpio, Capricorn etc. and not aspecting Mars (more precisely, if there is no application or perfection possible between Venus and Mars by way of speed, translation, collection etc.), this would be read as Venus being Mars' dispositor. Consider having a tenant in one of your houses who you are not sure about (no aspect; you don't really know what they're doing - no mutual; you don't know a lot about their background) - you would have more of a tendency to check on them than other tenants who you feel more comfortable with (those whom you receive).

Or for that matter, imagine going shopping and leaving the unruly nephew you were saddled with at home - you worry so much about the condition in which you may find your stereo, blender and telephone bill that you rush through the store, forgetting essential items, are unexpectedly crabby with your friend you meet along the way, or have an anxiety attack because of the slowness of the traffic - in other words, a planet is affected by a planet in its house, to a lesser degree than reception, but affected none the less. But then, if Venus was dignified although Venus will be more comfortable with Mars being left alone, this could lead to overlooking problems that develop later - all depending on the chart and its' dynamic situation.

I've found that in horary charts, this often works out as a slant in the direction of the essential nature of the planet disposited (Venus being more impulsive as above, acting slowly if Saturn is disposited, acting inconsistently if the Moon is the disposited planet, etc.), while in electional astrology it may be more important because it could be a factor that, if overlooked, could represent an unnoticed or misunderstood problem in the thing elected. It can also be very handy in medical charts when the cause of a problem is not obvious - especially when working with the humors and temprament, or the oriental models.

Roy