Mutual reception, but planets detriment?

I've read many horary charts and am not at all sure that detriment is of concern when planets are showing mutual reception.

I tend to look at mutual reception as topping detriment.

Lets take an example.
Love horary showing f.ex. ruler of 1st in the 7th house and ruler of 7th inside the 1st house. They are opposite, but they are mutually receiving each other, so it is a good thing in horary. They are showing that they want each other, they are inviting and hosting each other - to me that is a good sign and I wouldn't consider detriment in this kind of horary. Also when they are both inside 1st or 7th in conjunction. This is good for love horary, no matter if it is detriment for the planets.

Another example I am currently looking at, not a love horary, but rather a money horary involving both 2nd ruler and 8th ruler. The chart showed me ruler of 1st as Venus in Pisces, received by ruler of 8th and about to trine the Moon in Cancer (although the Moon is not one of the significators, just as an addition to show "the matter"). Ruler of 2nd was Mercury was placed in Aquarius in Jupiter's term, so showing reception. Jupiter, ruler of 8th recieved by Mercury, ruler of 2nd. So rather than looking at these as planet's detriment I would look at these as receptions, the planets working together to let each other perform for the matter in question.

Would you look at this differently? Would you put mutual receptions above detriments of planets?

Well, I am not looking for an answer to particular charts, I am just making general examples and wondering how other people judge their horary charts when they have mutual receptions, but that can often mean that significators are in their signs of detriment or fall.

So my thinking is in general terms. I've looked at many love horaries and I tend to look at them as very positive when there is mutual reception, even though I can see the planets are in detriment. The mutual reception scores much higher in my mind.

Here's an example:

A friend is broke and needs money. So he is shown as a planet in detriment.

You are also broke. So you cannot help because you have no money to give or lend. So you are also shown as a planet in detriment.

You want to help your friend and he leans towards you for help. So you are shown in mutual reception.

Is that good or bad?

Good that you want to help. Bad that you cannot help.

Essential dignity is apples and reception is oranges. How they score in terms of weight in a judgement depends on the CONTEXT.

Strive to think within a context or else "general" thinking may eventually lead to an error because in one context receptions (or dignity, or aspect) matters in the next context it does not. In most cases all factors must be taken into account together and only together can produce an accurate or adequate answer.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

Mutual receptions and detriment are not really describing the same thing, so the idea of putting one "above" the other doesn't seem to be the right kind of mindset to approach things with in my opinion - as well to ask whether houses come before signs.

Essential dignity, or lack thereof, tells us something fundamental about the quality of expression or of it's own inherent state or how well 'put together' it is.

Reception is a modifier or descriptor for an aspect connection between two planets.

So let's imagine we have two planets in aspect and they aspect by opposition and there is no reception between them. This seems an unfavourable connection between the planets and implies that they will not come together, or if they do they will only do so temporarily. Aspects by opposition have this sense that they are only really held together by the utmost will of the people involved - typically such things cannot last as their natural state seems like it's to come away. It's like forever trying to paddle against a strong current.

Now aspects by square still carry a sense of stress or willpower involved, but there is much more leniency here than the opposition and so we can imagine that with work and dedication and getting over certain obstacles or making compromises etc. that it could work.

A trine may indicate that little stress or hard work is required.

But what reception does is provide us with information that the key players involved are willing to be open to the influence of the other and so there is a sense of active engagement or of tolerance and of being interested in the other. Well this certainly implies that the quality of the aspect is somewhat modified.

So our opposition with reception can be like an opposition where less stress/will is needed. It may still be difficult, but at least we know there is a sense of attending to the matter or of being willing to work with one another. There is in fact a sense that it may be more like a square. And a square may be more like a trine and so on.

So what reception offers us and what essential dignity offers us are really two separate things.

So let's imagine our example where we have two planets in opposition and they are in mutual reception. We know with work and some effort or willpower they can make things work but we also know that there is still a need for work and willpower and being attentive and so on.

The problem is that if both planets lack their own inherent sense of dignity and support that essential dignity shows us, there is some question mark around how able the planets would be to do that. Because the essential dignity is telling us something about their character or how put together they are or how they express their own core substantial selves.

So we might need some analogies to make sense of it. Someone here, Tom I think, once described mutual reception from debility as being like a drunk couple leaning on one another to help one another up the street. I have thought of it like two drug addicts acting against their own sense of dignity and benefit to their essential nature by their drug addiction but nevertheless making their drug fuelled relationship work. Now these may seem a bit dramatic but they connote a lack of healthiness and support to the well being of the people involved.

I see mutual reception between debilitiated planets somewhat similar to this - there is a sense that the situation is not totally benefitting either party and that there is a lack of work and willpower that is needed to make it work and that neither party is fully in a strong place of support themselves let alone to support one another, and yet they could still make it work but perhaps there is a question that it may be more healthy and less needy or less of a dependant relationship were it to come to an end.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/