Saturn in Electional Astrology.

Hi Skyscript forum users!

As I'm sure many of you are aware, there are two approaches to electional astrology. One imitates the natal chart of the person for whom the election is meant; that is, using the same degree ascending, and same rulers for the houses. Then there is another approach where the natal is not considered and the election chart can have its own Asc, Mc, etc.

I've always believed that no election can be more powerful than a major transit to one's nativity. So I would rather do an election that mimics the natal and make sure it works with the current transits. The problem is when there's a major planet in the wrong house or making an undesirable aspect. Like Saturn or Pluto. These planets take years to leave a house.

For example, I want to publish a book. But Saturn rules my house 9 and right now, Saturn in transit is in house 8. House 8 is one of the unfortunate houses. If I make an election based on my nativity, Saturn the ruler of publishing would be in a "bad" house. Does that mean I should wait until after Saturn leaves house 8?

What are your thoughts on this and election charts?

Astrolabus,

As someone who does a lot of electional work, I don't recommend that you base your election on one planet alone, but I will address the larger philosophical issue that your question raises, in the hopes that you find it of help.

For some reason*, a not-insignificant number of clients request an electional consultation, and they just happen to be experiencing a difficult transit, direction, profection, or secondary progression (usually some combination of these) in the very area they are asking about. A classic example are women desperately and unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant with Saturn doing something unspeakable to their Ascendant or a luminary, with the ruler of the fifth thrown in for funsies.

The last thing such clients want to hear is that they should wait until the major problematic astrological weather passes. I explain that they shouldn't waste their money on electional astrology right now, as any time I can find for them in the near future will still have the problematic transit/direction/progression baked in.

The counterargument from the client is usually some variant of: "But I want it NOWWWW!"

Don't argue with me, talk to the cosmos.

The point is that yes, you should probably wait. Obviously, for all I know, Saturn in the eighth in Sag is trine a wonderful natal Jupiter in Leo and sextile a lovely Mercury on the MC, so you have to take that into consideration. This is why we have to get the complete picture of the natal chart and current influences when electing, and why electional astrology doesn't come cheap.

Kind regards,
Nina

*Of course, the reason is obvious - they tried doing the thing they asked about and failed or are facing obstacles due to the astrological headwinds present. Hence the consultation.
Nina Gryphon

ninagryphon.com
Your questions answered.

Thank you, Nina! I agree because I've seen people with like, a Saturn transit to house 2... and they want a good time to invest money!

I understand it takes more than one planet to do an election. But I'm concerned when there's one planet in particular that's causing a problem, like Saturn or Pluto or Neptune. I've found from personal experience, it is not a good idea to try to beat a tough transit with a "clever" election. It does not work. And yes, of course, consider the dignities and aspects involved as well.

It is nice to see you here. I've seen your work and your blog before. I think you're great! By the way, I read you studied Frawley and Deb Houlding's courses. Do you recommend both or just one or the other? I'm interested in Deb's course and I think they have a couple of courses each year, including online.