Lost Glasses

Everyone,

A friend of mine lost his glasses in his house. We were having a dinner at his house after his father's funeral. Many people, including myself saw them on the dinner table but now, no one knows where they are. I assume that someone moved them to a place nearby where they might be safe but now they are missing. He's looked everywhere for them and then asked me to help by doing a chart.

Here's the data - May 2, at 7:27AM, EDT (+4 GMT) in Garrett Park, MD, 39 N 2' 17", 77 W 5' 36".

This gives us 5 degrees Gemini rising, so he is Mercury in the 11th house and the glasses are the Moon (ruler of the 2nd house) in the 10th. The Moon is void of course, so right off that doesn't seem like it is likely that he'll find the glasses. My second thought is that since they are in the 10th house that they are out in plain sight. The Moon is separating from a sextile with Mercury, which shows that the glasses took a hike. The Moon is about to change signs and at that point it will be conjunct Mars. Mars rules the 12th house, so maybe that means that they will soon be in a place where they cannot be found.

I see that the Moon has made several aspects in the past, but I am wondering if this is not important since there are no applying aspects, which would indicate the glasses being found.

Anyone else see more in this chart?

BTW - I've been gone for the past two months on a whole bunch of tours. It feels great being home, even if only for a few days. And for anyone who remembers my sick cat Zeppo, he died in March. There was one chart on here about him. When his illness took a bad turn I did another chart and found his significator in the 8th house and knew that it was OK to have him put to sleep. That wasn't the answer I had hoped for, but it really gave me so peace of mind that I was doing the right thing.
Mark F

Hi Mark,

I know little horary, so I can? t help (Sorry.) But lately I have had something to ask those who practice horary, and now seems to be a good time.

There is an interview with Alphee Lavoie in the April/May ?The Mountain Astrologer?. In it is a discussion of a new technique for lost objects which he has come up with. He says to draw up the horary chart, print out an astrolocality chart for it and place it in the middle of the house. He says to look at the ruler of the 2nd house ?because 99% of the things we?re looking for are represented by the 2nd house?.

To quote further:
[Using the example of Taurus on the 2nd cusp] Create a local space chart chart on your computer, print it out, and place it in the middle of your house. It?s going to show, let?s say, Venus at 30 degrees from North. Point toward that Venus direction and also in back of you on that line. (Einstein said that if you start at one point and keep going in space, you come back to the same point again.)
Align the north of the local space chart with the north of the location and use the direction of the 2nd house ruler.

Also:
[...] The more that the planet you are looking at is below the Earth, the closer the lost item is to the floor. The higher the planet is in the sky, the higher up the object is.
I was wondering if anyone has tried this. Maybe this would be a good chance to try it out.

Arguments of recovery

First things first: the moon is void of course and the ruler of 7th is retrograde, so it can be possible that any answer we can give is wrong...

I will do this in a very virginian way, sorry if it is boring, anyone can scroll to the end :brows

From http://www.skyscript.co.uk/wit.html
  • Application from the Moon to the ascendant or its ruler. no
    Application from the Moon or 2nd-ruler to the 2nd house or its ruler, or to a planet in the 2nd, or to Fortuna. yes, moon app to 2nd cusp by trine but changing signs
    Application from the Moon to its own dispositor. no
    The Sun and Moon aspecting each other or the cusp of the 2nd house by trine. yes, moon app to 2nd cusp by trine but changing signs
    The Sun and Moon aspecting each other by any aspect out of angles.no
    The Sun in the ascendant (unless in Libra or Aquarius, where it is debilitated). no
    The Moon, 2nd-ruler, asc-ruler or a fortune (Jupiter, Venus, Fortuna, North Node) placed in the ascendant, 2nd house or 4th house. no
    2nd-ruler in the 10th or 11th shows the object is near the querent or is being kept by a friend. yes
    The Moon aspecting a fortune shows the item is in the safe keeping of an honest person who will return it. (Especially if the fortune also aspects the ascendant or asc-ruler.) sepp from venus, venus dont aspec AC
    The Moon or 2nd-ruler angular. yes

Result: There is a possibility that the moon is kept by an friend and is in a place of possible return, but I dont think it will be found by its own, it will be a hard recovery if it found at all.

Arguments against Recovery

Arguments against Recovery
  • Both Sun and Moon 'under the earth'. no
    The Moon or 2nd-ruler cadent or far from the querent's significator. no but it is more than 45 degrees distant
    The Moon or 2nd-ruler in the 7th or 8th house, aspected by the ruler of the 7th - this suggests the missing item has been stolen (the 7th house indicating that it has been taken by another, the 8th house indicating that person has already sold it or profited by it). no and no
    Fortuna or the Moon disposed by an infortune (Mars, Saturn, South Node, Uranus), or an infortune in the ascendant or 2nd house. Infortunes suggest loss or damage to the goods. Saturn disposes Moon and is still in the 2nd, going to 3rd house
    The same is indicated by affliction of the 2nd house cusp. no
    The Moon or 2nd ruler 'under Sun's beams', combust, in the 8th or applying to 8th-ruler. no but Venus, possible co-ruler, is combust yet.
    The Moon or 2nd-ruler separating from its own dispositor. no
    The Moon or 2nd ruler aspecting an infortune - it has fallen into the possession of a dishonest person who will keep it. (Especially if the infortune also aspects the ascendant or asc-ruler.) There is an aspect changing signs betw moon and mars, mars app AC.
Resul: there are no hard indications for me that it is impossible to recover the glasses. But it seens clear that the glasses are in somebody else?s possession, away from the owner?s home. Someone must have took it by mistake or simply stole it, but for me is strange to steal glasses, maybe is a cleptomaniac :D

Hi Kirk,

I read this article some time ago but haven't given it a great deal of thought. One thing that immediately bothered me though, is that his use of the local space chart appears to give us the opposite directions than those Lilly describes, so that, for example, the 10th house becomes North rather than South and the 1st house becomes West instead of East.

I am not sure what he means by his comments about a planet being closer to the earth or higher up in the sky indicating how close to the ground the object is. Is he talking about declination or is he saying that if the planet is close to the 4th house the object is closer to the ground? I've read a few of his horary judgements from 'Horoscope' magazine. If I remember correctly, he uses the outer planets as significators so that, if Pisces is on the Ascendant, Neptune becomes the significator of the querent.

Mark,

Sorry to hear about Zeppo. I had a similar situation where I had a sick cat and did a horary. When I saw the chart, I knew immediately that there was nothing I could do. He died an hour later. In some ways it made it easier because I felt that it was meant to be. It's never easy though.

Others considerations

The Part of Fortune is conjunct Moon(glasses)/mercury (owner) midpoint, is that significant ? PF is in 11th, its dispositor is Jupiter, conjunct Part of Possessions...
Mercury will conjuct north node: good news ? North node is conjuct star Baten Kaitos (helps to recover lost goods), but it is already in 12th...
Moon is voc but is also changing signs.. it can mean the glasses are "between things"
The last aspect of Mercury is from Jupiter, so the glasses were lost due to "an excess of care or a reorganisation of household affairs", it seems right.
I believe the glasses were taken by mistake by an friend, Jupiter, which is unaware he is still with them.
Moon is lord of 2nd and 3rd houses, so I still think maybe the glasses were forgotten in a car...
Using the advice of Lilly to find directions, it seens to me that the most likely directions are W and NW. Other directions given are 1 - near water, 2 - in a high or elevated place, 3 - a place frequented by people.

Hope it was of any help for somebody
I think Deb will throw me out of the forum for posts too big :D

Bye
mister Y

As if ? :)

Kim Farnell is the only one in my black books ? for posting a comment that attracted 13 pages of replies. But many of them were mine, so she didn?t really take my complaints seriously. You?ve a way to go yet.

I?ve only been able to quickly skim through this thread today. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Hope you keep us posted on what happens Mark. Good to see you back.

Deb

I took a bit of time to actually read some stuff and here?s what I came up with.
If you find the Lord of the 2nd in any Angle, you may judge the thing lost, hid or missing, is within the house of him that demands the Question

So the glasses are in the house.
if the Lord of the 2nd be in the 10th house, it?s then in his Shop, if he be a Mechanick; if a Gentleman, in his Hall or Dining-room; if a Husband-man, in the ordinary common room of his house, or first room after entrance into his house
So to interpret this some, the glasses might be in a place related to his work, or to something related to the public. Since the last place the glasses were last seen in the dining room during a party, this might mean that they are still in that room.
If your Significator be going out of one Signe and entering another, the thing is behind something or other, or is carelesly fallen downe betwixt two rooms, or neer the Threshold, or joyning together of two rooms, and is higher or lower in the place, according to the nature of the Signe, &c

So the glasses might have fallen down somewhere, which makes sense given the confusion of all the people at the dinner.

Lilly believes a lot in his system of using eight points, i.e., the ASC, it?s ruler, the 4th house, etc, to find the direction of the object. Using his system as explained by Anthony Lewis, the glasses may be in the house, in west by southerly direction. Three of the eight points are in air signs, so Lilly suggests that the glasses may be placed up high.

The thing that confuses me the most is what to make of Mars? As ruler of the 12th house, Mars points to the glasses being lost for good soon. But if Mars is taken to mean its natural signification, does that mean that the glasses will be found by a military person? There was a guy in the Marines at the dinner, but he isn?t in town anymore, and he wasn?t with everyone in the dining room where the glasses were last seen. Since that is the Moon?s only upcoming event, that would seem to be the key. It is out of sign, but the Moon is well within orb at 2? from Mars.

Help!!!
Mark F

Sherlock Holmes

I also thought about the moon in the 10th meaning a quick recovery of an object lost in the place of work...
I dismissed it because the moon is also the 2nd house ruler, so I am not sure if this holds true in this case, because this is a rule for times when you got two significators, moon and Lord of 2nd....
It doesn`t seem that the glasses are too far away, but I still think someone took them by accident.
I don?t know if it could be the military guy, because if he is in another town it would be more far away than I think it could be possible, unless venus is really a co-ruler of the glasses. About Mars I could?t analyse because it was out of sign and got me confuse, the voc moon is really a b$&#h !
Conan Doyle should have written about Horary astrology... and the answer is elementary, of course Mark took the glasses to see if anyone in the forum could find it :P
Just kidding of course.
Yuzuru

Of course, the thing my friend hasn't done is to call everyone who was there to ask them if they put them some place. A number of us remember them on the table, in the midst of all the food and endless bottles of wine. Maybe that has something to do with it.

About the out of sign conjunction with Mars, I do use out of sign events like this, but only when they are very close, and I usually take it to mean that something will happen, but but only after a change in circumstances. I am still stumped on this one.
Mark F

I did have another thought on this chart.

When I looked at the Moon?s past aspects, after it separated from Mercury, which shows the glasses parting from my friend, it next made a square with Venus in the 12th. I think that shows the person who misplaced them. Venus is in her own sign of Taurus, but is in the 12th house and is combust the Sun. So her character and intentions are good, but she doesn?t have much strength in the situation. Venus only rules the 6th house in this chart.

So who at the dinner could that describe? My first thought was that it was this one woman who is a waitress, but then I thought that the 6th house describes someone who serves the querent, my friend. She serves other people, not him. There was another woman there who was really taking care of my friend, cooking for him and such. I also suspect that she sees the death of my friend?s father as an opportunity for her to start something up with him. His constant excuse was that he couldn?t get involved while he was taking care of his father. But she doesn?t know that this guy is into other guys, which might explain her being in the 12th house. That still doesn?t explain where the glasses are. My guess is that she moved them as part of taking care of him and forgot where she put them. Perhaps the best advice is to tell my friend to call her to ask if she remembers doing anything with them.
Mark F

Hi Mark

I just nicked a bit of your last post for a thread on combustion (in the Trad forum) but the thought occured to me that I would have used different houses.

Since you didn't ask where are my glasses, but instead asked about a friend's glasses - I think I would have used Jupiter (11th) to signify your friend and Mars (12th) to signify his glasses (possessions). If on the other hand you asked where are John's glasses - then you might be using 7th and 8th. In any case they're his glasses not yours.

Haven't got time to follow this through right now - just throwing it in the pot, but first glance shows Mars well past the trine to Jupiter showing the separation. However Moon (always querent's co-significator is 2 something away from overtaking Mars). POF in 11th may indicate all is not yet lost even if the glasses are!)