Re: Primary directions by mr gansten

Sounds like that's one for me. :D If you are using any kind of astrological software, it will typically give you the RAMC (or the LST, which is the same thing expressed in time), and often the RA of the planets as well. Otherwise, with a scientific calculator and a bit of patience, you can calculate them yourself using the formulae in Appendix I.

Since the book was published in 2009, several new applications have appeared (some of them freeware) that will both calculate primary directions for you and supply the data you need to check the calculations for yourself.

And if you really want to get into the details of the technique, there's always the course (see link below)...
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

I never thought of the appendix has the calculation thank you i will refer to it. Once i have free time i will definitely start online course on this difficult subject.

How did the ancient astrologers calculated right ascensions without having softwares/calculators?

:?

Martin Gansten wrote:
Hsn1983 wrote:How did the ancient astrologers calculated right ascensions without having softwares/calculators?

:?
I should think several of the following replies are generally correct:
- With the aid of tables
- Slowly
- With difficulty
- Imprecisely
Venus in taurus will be directed to my natal sun in aries which is my hyleg in March 26th according to morinus software primary directions, venus rules my 11th house which is taurus and the 4th libra. What is the manifestation of such direction? I wish I saw detailed explanation of direction of planets in your book and more charts

Hsn1983 wrote:Venus in taurus will be directed to my natal sun in aries which is my hyleg in March 26th according to morinus software primary directions, venus rules my 11th house which is taurus and the 4th libra. What is the manifestation of such direction? I wish I saw detailed explanation of direction of planets in your book and more charts
True, there is an emphasis on understanding the rationale and mechanics of the technique. I have considered writing either a substantially enlarged version or a second book on the topic, with more examples and some revised opinions, but it's a question of time.

In your example, the Sun directed to the conjunction of Venus by direct motion (which would be the traditional way of expressing this direction) would typically be a very positive direction. There are many books that list typical results of directions, including Lilly's Christian Astrology; links can be found here. One such typical result would be marriage or a comparable event.

But in order really to understand the direction, you have to study both the significator and the promissor in your chart in detail. For instance, if the Sun is in the 10th and Venus in the 11th, you may also get a promotion or enhanced reputation through (particularly female) friends, and so on. But the terms in which Venus is, and any aspects she or the Sun receives in the radix, are also highly important considerations. So you see that it's a complex matter.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Martin Gansten wrote:
Hsn1983 wrote:Venus in taurus will be directed to my natal sun in aries which is my hyleg in March 26th according to morinus software primary directions, venus rules my 11th house which is taurus and the 4th libra. What is the manifestation of such direction? I wish I saw detailed explanation of direction of planets in your book and more charts
True, there is an emphasis on understanding the rationale and mechanics of the technique. I have considered writing either a substantially enlarged version or a second book on the topic, with more examples and some revised opinions, but it's a question of time.

In your example, the Sun directed to the conjunction of Venus by direct motion (which would be the traditional way of expressing this direction) would typically be a very positive direction. There are many books that list typical results of directions, including Lilly's Christian Astrology; links can be found here. One such typical result would be marriage or a comparable event.

But in order really to understand the direction, you have to study both the significator and the promissor in your chart in detail. For instance, if the Sun is in the 10th and Venus in the 11th, you may also get a promotion or enhanced reputation through (particularly female) friends, and so on. But the terms in which Venus is, and any aspects she or the Sun receives in the radix, are also highly important considerations. So you see that it's a complex matter.

Thank you for your insight. I will see what might happen this month and report it here

Hi
After reviewing Ptolemy method of determining the hyleg and life span I thought of applying the principle to my chart,

I have my sun as hyleg in 9,8
Aries Mc at 23 Aries the sun is in the eastern quadrants of the chart so according to Ptolemy any aspect of malefic planet is not going to kill but only cause injury or loss,
I used the sofrltware Morinus to get all directions of planets to my natal sun using both zodiacal and mundane directions and here is what I found:

Saturn (natal 2:45 of scorpion) opposite natal sun (zodiacal direct direction) / arc of direction is 22.588, Mundane Direction Arc : 23.408

Converting the arcs to years using Ptolemy and Naipod key came up with the following dates :

Ptolemy zodiacal/mundane : 10/30/2005 : 8/26/2006
Naipod zodiacal/mundane: 2/27/2006 : 12/28/2006

The incident that might correlate to this malefic direction is that In the winter of 2006 December or January (not sure of the exact date) at a cold night I was driving then the tires slipped and the car fell off downhill for a minute or so. It was the most frightening moment I experienced and luckily I didn't sustain any injury,

This is what I found in my chart . It may or may not has anything to do with the directios,

Hsn1983

thanks for giving a personal example, especially when professionals are often times reluctant to offer much.. i like your line of inquiry and have followed the thread along without comment, but wanted to thank you for raising it..

i was reminded of the approach of 1 degree per year in a comment from robert zoller inside the book 'the astrology of the year zero' where you demonstrates a consultation he had with a women who had been sexually abused by her father at 13 - via saturn 13 degrees to venus with saturn ruling the 8th... now, it might not be primary directions - but it sounds a lot like solar arc directions or a year for a degree to me and i was surprised to see zoller using this techinque in the book.. as i have said in the past - primary directions, especially converse primary directions, often mimic what are referred to as solar arc directions..

james_m wrote:Hsn1983

thanks for giving a personal example, especially when professionals are often times reluctant to offer much.. i like your line of inquiry and have followed the thread along without comment, but wanted to thank you for raising it..

i was reminded of the approach of 1 degree per year in a comment from robert zoller inside the book 'the astrology of the year zero' where you demonstrates a consultation he had with a women who had been sexually abused by her father at 13 - via saturn 13 degrees to venus with saturn ruling the 8th... now, it might not be primary directions - but it sounds a lot like solar arc directions or a year for a degree to me and i was surprised to see zoller using this techinque in the book.. as i have said in the past - primary directions, especially converse primary directions, often mimic what are referred to as solar arc directions..
Hi
Can you please elaborate on saturn venus aspect in the lady's chart? I am not familiar with solar arc directions but I found out that in my solar revolution/return chart of 2014 a partile square aspect between saturn and venus and in that year i was separated from my wife for few months before we reunited, this could be related to the solar arc directions i am not sure, and by the way what is your approach to solar return? Did you find it a reliable predictive technique?

hi hsn1983,

i was working with an example that robert zoller gave in a book called 'astrology in the year zero'.. the basic idea of solar arc directions is the whole chart moves approx 1 degree per year... in the chart example at 13 years of age approx - the differential between saturn and venus in the girls chart was 13 degrees.. perhaps you can find some worthwhile book on solar arc directions - there are a few of them available...

regarding solar returns - yes, i think they are a good predictive tool.. i have mostly been working with solar returns to the natal place, in spite of the fact one can also relocate the solar return to the place when it happens....i hope this helps.. pm me for more if you want.. cheers james