Relocation: Planets conjunct angles vs soft aspects+houses

Here's a purely hypothetical question: Would you rather relocate to a place with a benefic directly on angle but with also several planets in more difficult houses... or would you rather relocate to a place without any planets on angles but with soft aspects to angles and more placements in benefic houses?

e.g. for the following very basic examples, which would you prefer?

Example 1

Place A
- Jupiter conjunct Midheaven
- Sun in the 12th house
- Chart ruler in the 8th house

Place B
- Sun trine Ascendant
- Jupiter sextile Midheaven
- Chart ruler in the 10th house

Example 2

Place A
- Venus conjunct Ascendant
- Saturn in the 5th house
- Sun in the 12th house

Place B
- Venus trine Ascendant
- Ascendant conjunct Sun/Moon midpoint
- Jupiter ruler of Descendant trine Descendant

Not a whole lot of information in those examples, but given the 3 pieces of information for each place, which would generally be considered more benefic?

hi holdorflod,

welcome to skyscript!

i think the motto that anyone interested in relocation needs to hold close to is the idea that -

"you can run, but you can't hide.'

in so far as the birth chart has a particular set up that is a combination of too many factors to go into here (and we all pick and choose which ones we think are more relevant), it doesn't change the set up given at birth.

a planet will always be more powerful when on an angle, then removed from the angles.. putting a planet on an angle that rules over a challenging house depends on what morin calls the celestial state of the planet to a large degree.. personally i would factor in things like nocturnal, verses diurnal and aspects to other planets myself - but probably most important is the quality of the planet one is putting on the angle by relocating. a benefic in a poor state doesn't sound as positive as a malefic in a good state...

these are the kinds of considerations astrologers struggle with regularly.. regardless - my own take is that relocation charts work in collaboration with the natal chart from birth.. this is either a watered down view on relocation, or a more complicated view on it that holds to the view that the natal chart remains a primary consideration regardless of any fond ideas folks might have of having your cake and eating it too... but - i am just speaking from my own point of view here and it would be interesting to read others thoughts on this topic..

Thanks for your input, yeah the general consensus in in reallocation astrology seems to be to put the planets on angles.

But what I've seen a few times is people moving to a different place and then retrospectively looking at their relocation chart and seeing their experience play out in the chart without any planets directly directly on angles.

I guess what I'm wondering is that if you had a choice between a place with a bunch of trines and sextiles of benefics to angles and planets in decent houses VS a place with one benefic on an angle and a bunch of planets in traditionally difficult houses, would it generally be more beneficial to move to the first place or the second place?

my answer is i would have to see the chart in order to comment!

the way i read your comment the value of houses and aspects is given more emphasis then the importance of signs or other indications gotten from any chart... the stereotype of modern astrology is too much of a reliance on aspects and not enough consideration to other important considerations when examining charts.. it's not a bad stereotype!

i heard jim lewis important work the 'psychology of astrocartography' was re published.. you might enjoy getting a copy if you haven't read it already..
i see you can pick up a 2nd hand one on abebooks relatively cheap..

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check it out. Do you know if it goes into the details of other chart factors outside conjunctions to the angles? Can't seem to find any confirmation on that on the descriptions of the book.

When researching relocational astrology, I'm seeing a lot of emphasis on the planetary lines and little to no material on soft aspects to angles, new planet house positions, condition of new chart ruler etc.

I'm guessing this is because an astrologer can easily see a map of one's planetary lines so it's easier to make recommendations by just looking at say the Jupiter line and picking a place on it based on the natal condition of Jupiter. It would be hard to recommend a place otherwise unless the client chooses a place for them to dissect in advance, since you can't look at a map and see where Venus and Jupiter trine the Ascendant with it's ruler in the 10th house or anything like that.

the book does not focus on aspects to planets or changed house positions.. for the later - all you have to do is go with a different house system and you will get plenty of options right away!!

Yeah, it's not so much that I would have an issue interpreting the new house positions (you'd just read it similar to a natal chart), I'm trying to get an understanding of the weighting of relocation factors based on real world experience and observation.

i have lived far from my birth most of my life... the place i relocated to put the uranus- neptune square on the angles here.. i would say that is pretty accurate for me personally... i don't think about the house placements so much as these planets on the angles creating a certain dynamic here where i live... but, again - this is just my perspective and it would be cool to hear others views.. this is one of the reasons i recommend you read some of the literature on this topic.. many examples are given, but ultimately - you have to go with your own experience.. away for the weekend..

My relocation goal is to avoid sun in 12th or 6th. Next is mars--6th is the worst placement. Natal ascendant on 12th is difficult too. That's all I worry about.

I don't think of relocation as altering fate in any spectacular way. Avoiding difficult SR placements makes fate less onerous. No fender benders this year, people working against you are not so secretive, objects stay found, tensions are manageable.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was just reading an article on relocation charts which goes into some detail on other factors besides planets on angles here: http://astrocartography.net/?p=161

It's an extract from the book ?Where in the World: Astro*Carto*Graphy and Relocation? by Erin Sullivan. Seems pretty relevant to my interests. It was difficult to track down where to buy the actual book from but I did eventually find a site to order from.