Prashna (Horary) in Jyotish

While I have thoroughly studied horary in western traditional astrology I have never examined the Indian tradition.

I understand Indian Prashna includes consideration of the Nakshatras too?

One subject that intrigues me is what house system Indian astrologers use for Prashna? Is this usually done in Whole sign or Sripati houses?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Due to non response on Skyscript I pursued this question with someone on Facebook. It appears Sripati houses are the most commonly used system for prasna. I dont know if whole sign houses are used by any Indian astrologers for prasna too.

Still not clear what role the Nakshatras play in prasna.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

@Mark,

You can find the use of Nakshatra in Prashna Marga- English translation B.V Raman- Vol I
THRISPHUTA NAKSHATRA

Stanza 41. ? Note down the Thrisphuta Navamsa. Find out the expired portion in ghatis. Multiply this by 9, and divide the product by 27. Count the remainder from the Thrisphuta Nakshatra. The result is Mrityu Nakshatra. On that day the questioner will die. Chathursphuta Nakshatra also may be taken as Mrityu Nakshatra ? not for the questioner but for any one in the family born on the Chathusphuta Nakshatra day. On that day, the relative concerned will fall ill.
Prashna Marga is different from the Tajik version of horary and even more different is the Jain version of horary- Jinendramala.

http://documents.mx/documents/astrology ... haria.html

PD

pankajdubey wrote:
You can find the use of Nakshatra in Prashna Marga- English translation B.V Raman- Vol I
Thanks pankajdubey,

I have now ordered this book.

pankajdubey, wrote:
Prashna Marga is different from the Tajik version of horary and even more different is the Jain version of horary- Jinendramala.
Thanks. So there are three distinct traditions? The Tajika tradition being Perso-Arabic in origin no doubt has a lot of similarities with horary in Europe which originated from a similar source.

However, Prashna Marga sounds very different. Does it utilise both the 12 rasi and Nakshatras? If so that must make delineation of charts very complex indeed!

Mark

The Pra?nam?rga is a fairly late (mid-17th century) work from Kerala, a part of India with many (often elaborate) innovations in various branches of astrology -- not least horary.

I haven't seen the Jinendram?l?, but as for T?jika-style horary, the most popular work by far is the Pra?natantra (wrongly) attributed to N?laka??ha, which I have discussed here. Its chief source is Sahl ibn Bishr, who again is heavily dependent on Dorotheus of Sidon.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Just to keep my life simple, I classify them as those that use application/separation and those that don't .

Shatpachashika by Prithuyasas
Jinendramala by Upendracharya
Prashna Marga - don't use applying/separating aspects, use an additional system called Arudha or something similar and use omens as well.

I think that is a significant difference.

PD

Mark wrote:pankajdubey wrote:
Thanks pankajdubey,

I have now ordered this book.

pankajdubey, wrote:
Thanks. So there are three distinct traditions? The Tajika tradition being Perso-Arabic in origin no doubt has a lot of similarities with horary in Europe which originated from a similar source.

However, Prashna Marga sounds very different. Does it utilise both the 12 rasi and Nakshatras? If so that must make delineation of charts very complex indeed!

Mark

Pankajdubey wrote:
Prashna Marga - don't use applying/separating aspects, use an additional system called Arudha or something similar and use omens as well.
Thanks for clarifying that vital difference.

Wow! As someone trained in, for want of a better word, Hellenistic/Perso-Arabic/ European horary that sounds very bizzare. Application and separation is absolutely central in western and I imagine Tajika horary technique.

I have read about the ancient use of Nakshatras in ancient electional charts so Prashna Marga maybe still reflects that with its 'frozen chart' approach.

Mark

Pankajdubey wrote:
The Pra?nam?rga is a fairly late (mid-17th century) work from Kerala, a part of India with many (often elaborate) innovations in various branches of astrology -- not least horary.
I may be being oversimplistic but I have this hunch that southern India such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhara and Karnataka are locations where more ancient, indigenous traditions are more likely to have survived. In the North you have the disruption of various invasions not least the Muslim destruction of many temples. And you have the import of Perso-Arabic astrology like Tajika. But the Moghuls had a relatively short period of rule in the south before displaced by the British.

Mark

Mark wrote:Pankajdubey wrote:
I may be being oversimplistic but I have this hunch that southern India such as Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhara and Karnataka are locations where more ancient, indigenous traditions are more likely to have survived. In the North you have the disruption of various invasions not least the Muslim destruction of many temples. And you have the import of Perso-Arabic astrology like Tajika. But the Moghuls had a relatively short period of rule in the south before displaced by the British.

Mark
That quote is from Martin Gansten :sg

Pankajdubey
That quote is from Martin Gansten
No actually! I wasn't aware this was Martin's view. lol

But its really just common sense as I see it.

Mark