Astrolearn Vintage Astrology CD Series - launch

I am pleased to announce a new series of selections of high-quality colour scans of vintage astrological texts in affordable CD format.

For those not wanting to purchase the entire collection, and preferring to cherry-pick books of particular interest at lower cost, the contents of my DVD compilation entitled "From Lilly to Partridge" have now been recompiled across eight CDs. Each CD is available for US $19.99 plus approx. $4.35 international delivery to a wide range of countries, direct from outsourced production-on-demand facilities in Nevada, USA. Orders of multiple discs will entail reductions in the per-unit shipping cost from Nevada.

As with the DVD, all scans have been taken by hand by me personally from the original antiquarian sources in my private library, with care and attention taken to the end of ensuring the full capture of the printed content of each page. They are presented in Adobe PDF format.

The line-up comprises:

CD1:

Henry Coley "Clavis Astrologiae Elimata" (1676)

John Middleton "Practical Astrology" (1679)

Joseph Blagrave "Blagrave's Introduction to Astrology" (1682)

CD2:

John Gadbury "Genethlialogia, or the Doctrine of Nativities" (1658)

John Gadbury "Collectio Geniturarum: Or, a collection of Nativities, in CL Genitures" (1662)

John Gadbury "Cardines Coeli" (1684)

CD3:

Claude Dariot "A Brief and most easie Introduction to the Astrological Iudgement of the Starres" (1598), bound with G. C. "A Treatise of Mathematicall Phisicke" (1598)

William Lilly "Christian Astrology Modestly Treated of in Three Books" (1647)

William Lilly "Anima Astrologiae: Or, a Guide for Astrologers" (1676)

William Lilly "Mr. Lilly's History of His Life and Times... To which is subjoined, The True History of King James I. and King Charles I" (1721)

CD4:

William Ramesey "Vox Stellarum. Or, The Voice of the Starres: Being a Short Introduction to the Judgement of Eclipses, and the Annuall Revolutions of the World" (1652)

William Ramesey "Astrologia Restaurata; or, Astrologie Restored" (1654)

John Bishop [and Richard Kirby] "The Marrow of Astrology" (1689)

John Gadbury "Nauticum Astrologicum; or, the Astrological Seaman" (1710)

CD5:

Nicholas Culpeper "Semeiotica Uranica. Or an Astrological judgement of Diseases from the Decumbiture of the Sick" (1651)

Nicholas Culpeper "Semiotica Uranica, or Culpepper's Judgement of Diseases Much Enlarged" bound with "Urinalia" (1658)

Richard Saunders "The Astrological Judgment and Practice of Physick" (1677)

William Salmon "Horae Mathematicae, seu Urania" (1679)

Joseph Blagrave "Blagrave's Astrological Practice of Physick" (1680)

CD6:

John Goad "Astro-Meteorologica" (1686)

CD7:

Ptolemy, tr. J. M. Ashmand "Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos, or Quadripartite" (1822)*

Manilius, tr. Thomas Creech "The Five Books of M. Manilius" (1697)

George Wharton, ed. John Gadbury "The Works of that Late Most Excellent Philosopher and Astronomer George Wharton" (1683)

* This title was moved from "From Sibly to Simmonite" because it is a good thematic match for the Creech translation of Manilius

CD8:

John Partridge "Mikropanastron: Or an Astrological Vade Mecum" (1679)

John Partridge "Opus Reformatum: Or, a Treatise of Astrology, in which the Common Errors of that Art are Modesty Exposed and Rejected" (1693)

John Partridge "Defectio Geniturarum: being an Essay toward the Reviving and Proving the True Old Principles of Astrology" (1697)

William Eland, ed. Geo. Parker "Eland's Tutor to Astrology" Stated Tenth Edition, 1704

Richard Ball "Astrology Improv'd" (1723)

Each CD has its own surface-print disc design. To see the disc designs, please go to the manufacturer's sale page linked beneath, click "More Info" on the title of interest, and then click "Rotate Case" several times on the screen that opens up for the particular disc. Eventually you will get the open-case shot showing the disc design.

http://kunaki.com/msales.asp?PublisherId=142482&pp=1

Please note that the manufacturer refuses to distribute to countries it judges to have an insecure postal service. The list of countries served is shown at the point of checkout. I note that for example Latvia, Ukraine and Russia are all unfortunately among those excluded. Potential customers from excluded countries can still purchase my DVDs. Those particularly desirous of the CDs can contact me. At a small surcharge to cover the additional postage cost, I could order them to my home and then send them on myself.

In December, another ten CDs will be added to the line-up, comprising the original contents of the DVD "From Sibly to Simmonite" plus seven additional volumes not on it: George Townsend's "Oedipus Romanus"; George Beaumont's "Fixed Stars" (1814); The Conjuror's Magazine vols. 1 and 2; and three extra works by W. J. Simmonite: "The Scientific and Literary Messenger", "Catastrophe Mundi" and (in early 20th century Foulsham edition) "Medical Botany".

Best wishes to all,

Philip

Hi Philip,
I would like to know if you have copies of the davidson's lectures on medical astrology. I would like to have in my hands at least one copy of the eight-set lectures. Thanks for replying.

Hi Ethan!

Thank you for your enquiry.

You're unlucky in your timing, because barely two months ago I was contacted by someone else through my website and in that instance I was able to refer her to a set of Davidson's lectures being offered by a bookseller in the United States for a reasonable price. That set has consequently sold, and there is none on the market once again today.

I have two sets of the 1979 third edition in one volume, but in variant binding and cover design issues, and as such I feel both are important to my historical collection of astrological literature, so I'm regrettably unwilling to part with either.

With regard to the alternative possibility of scanning his lectures, that is an avenue that has merit but it would have to clear copyright checks first.

The lectures were first published in the United States in 1959. That means that if copyright was renewed 28 years later, in 1987, they will remain copyrighted today. If not, then at least in the 1959 edition (of which I also possess a complete set), they are public domain under US law, which should equally be internationally applicable since they were first published in the United States.

I do not have the resources to pay for someone to search copyright renewals records. But I'm inclined to act on the cautious side until it can be demonstrated that no copyright renewal was posted.

As you are probably aware, the lectures were last published by Charles Jayne's publishing imprint The Astrological Bureau in the third edition of 1979, as a single bound volume.

Jayne died in 1985, but his widow Vivia Jayne lived on to 1998. It is uncertain whether she would have been motivated after his death, as presumed inheritor of the Astrological Bureau publishing business, to renew the copyright on Davidson's lectures two years later. But the possibility must be considered.

If she did renew, then it would have to be determined whether one of her relatives, or one of those of Davidson himself, now held the copyright. Again, consulting legal advice on this matter would be far beyond my means. But I hope that fills you in adequately on my dilemma.

If someone can authoritatively establish that the lectures are public domain, I'll be only glad to scan my original copies. But until then, it would not be a risk I'm willing to take with the law.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you might want to record a want for the lectures on Abebooks, using "Medical Astrology" in the title field and "Davidson" in the author field to cover all three editions; and as and when another copy turns up, you should be able to purchase quickly.

I'm sorry I can't be of more immediate help.

Best wishes,

Philip

July sale: five vintage astrology CDs for $49.97 + shipping

I wish to inform Skyscript readers that since this strand was posted, CDs 9-18 inclusive have been added to the catalogue. All details and pictures are given via the eighteen separate links on this index page:

http://www.astrolearn.com/astrology-books-cd/

Further, until the end of July, I am offering a free choice of five CDs for the price of 2?, plus shipping at cost, to all destinations served by the manufacturer (the list is given on the above index page).

Payments for purchases at the sale price must be made directly to me on the Paypal address shown on the index page, please.

Thank you for your interest,

Philip