Centenary Chart-The Quintinshill Rail Disaster (1915)

Yesterday marked the centenary remembrance ceremony for the Quintinshill rail disaster which occurred on May 22nd 1915 near Gretna Green, Dumfriesshire, Scotland at Quintinshill. It remains the worst train disaster in British history.

Quintinshill was an intermediate signal box with passing loops on each side on the Caledonian Railway Main Line linking Glasgow and Carlisle (now part of the West Coast Main Line).

HRH Princess Anne and Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon yesterday attended a special service in Gretna on the Scottish-English border on the centenary of the Quintinshill rail crash.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/herit ... -1-3781038

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintinshill_rail_disaster

From Wikipedia:
The crash, which involved five trains, killed a probable 226 and injured 246 and remains the worst rail crash in the British history in terms of loss of life. Those killed were mainly Territorial soldiers from the 1/7th (Leith) Battalion, the Royal Scots heading for Gallipoli. The precise death toll was never established with confidence as the roll list of the regiment was destroyed by the fire.

The crash occurred when a troop train travelling from Larbert, Stirlingshire to Liverpool, Lancashire collided with a local passenger train that had been shunted on to the main line, to then be hit by an express train to Glasgow which crashed into the wreckage a minute later. Gas from the lighting system of the old wooden carriages of the troop train ignited, starting a fire which soon engulfed the three passenger trains and also two goods trains standing on nearby passing loops. Some bodies were never recovered, having been wholly consumed by the fire, and the bodies that were recovered were buried together in a mass grave in Edinburgh's Rosebank Cemetery. Four bodies, believed to be of children, were never identified or claimed and are buried in the Western Necropolis, Glasgow.

The cause of the accident was neglect of the rules by two signalmen. Both men were charged with manslaughter in England, then convicted of culpable homicide after trial in Scotland; the two terms are broadly equivalent. They were both released from custody in 1916.
I thought it would be interesting to examine the chart of this historic and tragic event. The accident occured at 06:50AM GMT

Chart is displayed below in first Equal house system and then Placidus houses.
Note: The time is GMT since British Summer Time was not adopted until 1916 in the United Kingdom.

Noteable chart features:

-Pluto conj Saturn Lord 7 + 8 conj ingresses the 1st WSH Cancer
-Moon (Asc ruler) square Sun
-Mars (Lord 10 WSH/Equal) square Neptune
-Both luminaries disposited by Mercury in the 12th WSH
-Mercury (Lord 12) square Jupiter (MC ruler)
-Jupiter Trine Neptune
-Moon sextile Saturn/Pluto

The careless and reckless behaviour of the two signalmen seems reflected in the position of Mercury (Lord 12) in the 12th Sq Jupiter. In addition we have Lord 10 (Mars) square Neptune. Trines can also make malefic events easier so the Jupiter (MC) ruler trine Neptune could be said to have added to the general confusion that allowed this disaster to occur.

The awesome destructive potential of the event event seems compounded by the Sun-Moon square and a rare conjunction of the darkest planets in the astrological pantheon. The Moon (ASC ruler) was is aspecting both these planets at the time of the accident.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark,

Historic Event Charts are good to analyse. Thanks for posting the charts.

I note the following in the above event chart

1. North Node in bound Mars/Aquarius in 8th; Mercury/12th in bound Mars/Gemini trines the Node.
As you mention, I think Mercury/Gemini 12th quite aptly reflects the neglect of the two signalmen.

2. Saturn, Ruler of 8th and 7th in the 1st

3. I think the highlight is the Moon/Virgo/3rd/Angular separating from (Sun/Gemini/12th and Venus/Taurus) and applying to Saturn/Cancer/1st with reception.

Looks like the Moon in 3rd of short-term transportation carries the Trains (Sun/Gemini), Goods (Venus/Taurus) and the people (Moon) to disaster (Saturn/Cancer in detriment ruling 8th).
Also Venus is applying to Saturn/Cancer

It is interesting to note that the collision involves rulers of the 1st and 7th applying to each other.

4. The fire could be read by the Moon conjunct the antiscia of Mars in Aries

Vasanth

Vasanth wrote:
Looks like the Moon in 3rd of short-term transportation carries the Trains (Sun/Gemini), Goods (Venus/Taurus) and the people (Moon) to disaster (Saturn/Cancer in detriment ruling 8th).
Also Venus is applying to Saturn/Cancer
Nice summary.

Vasanth wrote:
4. The fire could be read by the Moon conjunct the antiscia of Mars in Aries
I also note a large number of important points in the bounds of Mars:

Pluto in bound of Mars
Saturn in bound of Mars
Jupiter in bound of Mars
Mercury in bound of Mars
NN in bound of Mars

There was a horrific fire in this accident. But it is also worth noting most of the victims were soldiers which reinforces the Mars connection here. I have read that some of soldiers chose to shoot themselves rather than be burned alive. Gruesome!

There is also a very strong Mercury (lord 12) connection by bound too. This combines with its role as domicile ruler of both luminaries:

ASC in Bound of Mercury
Sun in bound of Mercury
Moon in bound of Mercury
SN in bound of Mercury

Mars and Saturn are in mutual reception by bound.

Also getting back to anticions The Sun is antiscion Neptune.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Mark,

Good inputs on the Mars and Mercury theme!

Mark wrote:
There is also a very strong Mercury (lord 12) connection by bound too. This combines with its role as domicile ruler of both luminaries:
Yes, Mercury rules both the luminaries + the 3rd/IC, is in the 12th.
Mercury is in the bound Mars/Gemini; Mars/Gemini is a signature of railroads.

Vasanth

Hi Mark,
is there a general chart for British railways ? I supose it should be the one on the first railway carrying passengers.
The chart for the German railways works well.
LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

Lunlumo wrote:
Hi Mark,
is there a general chart for British railways ? I supose it should be the one on the first railway carrying passengers.
The chart for the German railways works well.
LL
Hi Lunlumo,

Good idea. I am no railway buff but it looks like the first steam railway passenger journey took place on 27 September 1825 with the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton_a ... on_Railway

The time is listed 7:00AM-8:00 AM so I have put up a chart in the middle for for 07:30AM.
Interesting that we have a full Moon in Aries just separating from a Pluto conjunction. Also an exact Sun-Pluto opposition along the cardinal Libra-Aries axis. Befitting for what was after all a pioneering venture which was involved in hauling wealth (coal) extracted from below the earth.

Below this is a Bi-Wheel chart with the chart for the Opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway in the inner wheel and the Quintinshill rail disaster on the outer wheel.
I am sure most of you have noticed the Pluto-Saturn conjunction of 1915 was squaring the the Sun-Pluto opposition in the 1827 and the Moon. Mercury was transiting the 1825 Saturn and the Moon was on the 1825 Jupiter (in detriment in Virgo). We dont have an exact time so it is also possible Neptune was transiting the MC of the 1825 chart.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun May 24, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

While the Stockton and Darlington Railway opened in 1825, sections of this line employed cable haulage, and only the coal trains were hauled by locomotives.

An alternative chart is the chart for the opening of the Manchester-and Liverpool Railway in 1830.

The was railway opened on 15 September 1830 between the English, Lancashire towns of Liverpool and Manchester in the United Kingdom. It was the first railway to rely exclusively on steam power, with no horse-drawn traffic permitted at any time; the first to be entirely double track throughout its length; the first to have a signalling system; the first to be fully timetabled; the first to be powered entirely by its own motive power; and the first to carry mail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_ ... ay#Opening

I have no time for the opening of this Railway so its timed for noon:
Although, I can see logical reasons for using the opening of the first entirely steam powered railway line I dont personally find this chart as radical as the one for 1825.

Mark

As to the 1825 chart - it might actually be the chart for railways anywhere in the world. As far as I know railway transport in other countries started later - in Germany that happened not until Dec. 1835.

The worst post-war railway accident in Germany was an June 3rd, 1998. Nearly 100 people were killed (Eschede, northern Germany, 8:59 GMT).

When referring that to the 1825 chart the Tertiary Progressions give this:

AC pr conj. UR
NEP pr conj IC
MA pr squ. SAT

SUN pr at 1.5 degrees AQU
- this is exactly where NEP tr. was on that day. (That degree can be most "dramatic" - see the corresponding Sabian Symbol. I have often found that one to be true. - And NEP tr was on that degree when the first German railway service was started in 1835.)
LL
Non coerceri maximo, contineri minimo divinum est.

Lunlumo wrote:
As to the 1825 chart - it might actually be the chart for railways anywhere in the world.
Its preliminary analysis but so far the 1825 chart does seem to resonate with some other major rail accidents. I just compared it with the worst rail crash in Spanish history and the connections are amazing. Its looks like we may have stumbled on something astrologically significant here.

I will post that up that chart when I get a chance.

Mark