Fantasy Astro Horse Racing League

Fantasy Astro Horse Racing League

How about this?

- Runs until the end of the 2015 flat season
- Five selections for each participant, each week
- Week runs from first race on Sunday through to the last race on Saturday
- Entries must be posted before the start of each race to qualify
- 3 points for a win, 1 point for a place
- +1 bonus point for each predicted horse with sp odds between 5/1 -10/1 (includes placed horses)
- +2 bonus points for each selection with an sp of 11/1 - 28/1 (includes places)
- +5 bonus points for selections with sp of 33/1 or greater (includes places)
- totals are added up each week and posted by mod
- selections posted are to include the type of race (i.e. a maiden, handicap, group race etc) time, date and of location of meeting and most importantly type of method i.e 5th, Sep, BD (birth data) etc...
- use one method only
- 'without favourite' betting permitted, but must be stated on selection as WO
- no stake is required
- no snide comments
- no bootlicking
- no offence taken by humorous comments
- you are obliged to explain your findings to other league members, upon request.
- there is no award or title afforded upon those with the highest points total at the end of the season.

These rules are designed not to feed egos, but to see which methods work in various situations.

It'll be fun and we might learn something, too!

I like the idea very much and hope this proceeds. I wouldn't be able to contribute myself - my time limits are too much this summer and the best I may be able to manage is one race a month (!), but I think the idea of logging and recording this way is very useful

Astrogooner,

Well top marks for sezing the intiative, but you could of at least have mentioned where this idea came from and replied to my proposed ground-rules with a reasoned argument as to why you dont like any of them.

This idea came from my reply to GB's post which suggested some trial.
skyrack wrote:GB,

A good summary of the methods available.
I am not aware of any other approaches.

Re Sepharial Weight method, you say "The big issue is that it gives two possible weights for the winner, a high weight and a low one.
We do not know how to chose between them - should we use the one that is closer to an actual weight, or are both possibles
?"

Sepharial says this, for the Eclipse variant : "Note: Always follow the horse nearest the indicated weight."

Sepharial has (at least) 4 methods, which are quite distinct in terms of their operation.
I have automated my understanding of Sepharial's Eclipse method and will look to do something similar with his other methods.
Although his concept of a Nonal Series has me totally baffled for the moment at least.

I am now working on developing my own approach to matching horse natal charts to the race event chart, but taking quite a different tack to the one outlined by Deb.
This approach is one based on what Frawley has to say on such matters in the Astrologer's Apprentice.

The idea of putting things to the test is one I had thought of too, although defining the rules of engagement may be a challenge.
For example, astrogooner suggests the Addey method works best with Maidens and similar (I think), whereas Sepharial's Eclipse is in most cases limited to Handicap races.

If anyone else is up to the challenge, I suggest the following:
  • a minimum of 30 race selections over 30 days,
    any number of selections in one race,
    each race has a standard unit wager,
    (so if multiple selections in one race, each selection carries the same proportion of the standard race wager),
    all selections to be posted in advance of race time,
    selections may be amended at any time up to the scheduled start of the race,
    only wins (and not places) are counted and valued at returned SPs,
    overall performance is valued as Return on Investment, i.e. Profit / Outlay.

This would not be proof of the pudding for any of the methods, but more some kind of measure of an individual approach to a method.
It may be illuminating.

If anyone is up to the challenge, I suggest a separate thread and the first thing would be to establish the ground rules.
Perhaps GB would like to officiate?
I am happy to stand my corner with my interpretation of Sepharial's Eclipse method if there are any takers.
So what if anything is not to your liking with those proposals?