I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Sepharial.

I think he has an interesting take on horse racing.

He does not not use colours or names to distinguish horses but does as they do in racing.
He uses weights.

His Eclipse method casts a chart using Meridian houses and places only the Sun, Moon and Part of Fortune.
Although he describes the PoF as Moon - Sun + ASC, he seems in practice to use the cusp of the 1st House and not the ASC.

The body nearest a cusp is taken as the Significator.

The distance of the Significator to the nearest angle (and I take these to be house angles rather than, in particular, the ASC/DSC angles) is the Measure.

Taking the top and bottom weights of the field as the Scale, the Direct Proportion is half the Scale times the Measure divided by 90.
And the Converse is half the Scale less the Direct Proportion.

Normally the Direct Proportion is taken from the top weight and the Converse added to the bottom weight to arrive at two indicated weights.

But if the two non-significators are each of a similar distance from the same angle, then the Converse is taken from the top weight and the Direct Proportion added to the bottom weight.

The horse(s) nearest to an indicated weight is the selection.

In my last post I said that Sepharial used Meridian houses.

In fact he uses equal houses but taking his cue from the MC on the cusp of the 1Oth.
All other houses share that same degree.
In the case of this race, 7.

The PoF measured from the 1st house is at 1GEM (6GEM if you measure from the ASC).

The PoF is nearest to a house cusp, and is thus the Significator.

Its Measure is 6 (to the nearest Angle, the MC).

I do not make the Sun and Moon equidistant from the same Angle, so we do not flip the Direct and Converse proportions.

Prior to the declaration stage I need to make a guess about what horses will run and the top and bottom weights.

Assuming a field of 40, top and bottom weights are likely to be 11-10 and 10-2, giving a Scale of 22.

The Direct Proportion is 6*11/90 or, rounded, 1lbs to be deducted from the top weight.
And the Converse is 10lbs to be added to the bottom weight.

MANY CLOUDS
REBEL REBELLION
SPRING HEELED match these weights.

But the Scale may change come the declaration and there may be jockey allowances to take into account and of course not of all of these indicated horses may run.

The declarations have just been published.
40 runners along with 4 reserves.

As it stands there is no change to the Scale and Proportions, and there are no likely changes that will impact these.

But if RAZ DE MAREE or THE PACKAGE run the bottom weight has changed and REBEL REBELLION and SPRING HEELED will no longer be indicated with others taking their place.

Likewise if the top weight changes due to LORD WINDERMERE not running, MANY CLOUDS will no longer be indicated.

To find the newly indicated horse(s) take 1lb from the new top weight and add 10lbs to any new bottom weight of less than 10-2.

Fleur wrote:I think I am going to do a one pound each way bet on Al Co.
Well that yard certainly know what they're doing with staying handicap chasers.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

Saturnhead wrote:
Fleur wrote:I think I am going to do a one pound each way bet on Al Co.
Well that yard certainly know what they're doing with staying handicap chasers.
I don't know what you mean, because I don't know much about horse racing. I just looked through a book about it to get the basics. I ended up doing ?1.50 each way on Al Co.

astrogooner wrote:Although the first aspect from the 5th is a tredecile to the Sun, ......The Sun's antiscia is at 8? Virgo 36', applying to the ASC. The MC also applies.
15:28:30!
Hi! What house system were you using?
I had to look up tridecile = 108 degrees.

I use Campanus 5th which in my software (Janus) is at 4:47 Cap. So with Sun at 21:24 Aries, I think that aspect is just past?

It does work for Mercury though and I have been using antiscion of mercury in aries at 6:58 Virgo for my significator.

And with antiscion of uranus on AC, I'm going for Rebel Rebellion.
I also like Cause of Causes, Druids Nephew and Shutthe front door.

I'm going for two:-

The Druids Nephew and Godsmejudge.

Good luck, guys.

PS - that Rocky Creek (Moon in Cap) better not mess things up! :)
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

Cause of Causes - 1st aspect to Mars, a trine, in the term of Mercury, in a very Mercury chart - LotH Jupiter in Mercury's terms, Mercury L1 & L10

'Cause of Causes' - Mars & Mercury language

Using the 5th cusp is all about the poetry!

Edit: (Quincunx to Fortuna in Mercury's terms on the MC is the first aspect).
Last edited by ModWasp on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verum e