Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Experimenting with horse races
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost) there.

According to my husband I've sent him to the bookies with the most ridiculous bet of all time. I kept my budget to £10 with
£1 tricast for Gleneagles, Territories and Ivawood (cost £6)
£2 Gleneagles to win
£2 Territories to win

(He says that if the tricast wins he'll stand naked in Burton's shop window with a sign around his neck saying "I'm stupid, and my wife knows that" Smile)

He must be stupid because all I stand to lose is £6 which I took out of his wallet anyway.
ModWasp

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious!

After the withdrawal of Elm Park (which i'm sure would have won by several kilometres), I'm sticking to my guns and have backed Home of the Brave e/w and Ol' Man River to win.

5th cusp trine Mars, in Saturn's term, applies to inconjunct Libra Moon, in term of Mars and both Mars and the Moon apply to Saturn's antiscia 26ºCap54' in 4th house. Both are impressive and progressive types and would have probably looked at both of them without considering the astrology of the race anyway.

At Lingfield yesterday, Jonny Skull, the oldest horse in the race won the 14:30 - Saturn angular. I've backed the oldest in the 14:30 at Newmarket today - Kingsgate Native - again, Saturn is angular. Should be an interesting experiment.
GB

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have placed a bet on Gleneagles for today.

I am now looking at the 1000gns where there is a smaller field and there may be a few withdrawals - I think the rain forecast is going to change the going quite a lot.
ModWasp

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagle-eyed and more extreme Virgos watching C4 Racing today would have noticed the post-race analysis of the 14:30 was all about the age of horses and how 6 years old is the optimum age for a sprinter and how such and such gets better with age etc...That race had Saturn conjoined the IC in the 3rd. The pacesetter was Tangerine Trees, another 10 year old. The 10 year old Kingsgate Native finished a heroic 3rd.

The 14:50 at Goodwood was very interesting, from an Addey method point of view. Fiftyshadsofgrey won it fairly easily in the end. The 5th cusp sextiles 6th Neptune, in term of Jupiter and quincunxes Jupiter in the 12th, himself in the term of Venus. I think I've posted something about that horse on this site before, but i'm not sure on which thread. But here's a copy and paste from an email confab with a master astrologer regarding Fiftyshadesofgrey's win at Wolverhampton from a few months ago; Again using the same method.

I wonder if the 5th cusp quincunx to 12th house Neptune, in the term of Venus, Lady of the 6th, who herself is in the term of Mars, Lord 7 - has a link with one of those 'Fiftyshadesof..' horses? (Wolves, 27.09.2014, 20:30)

Cool

Last edited by ModWasp on Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB, I am about to look at that race, and just remembered what you said earlier about most foals being born in the morning. I wanted to get some confirmation about that, but couldn't find any online. What I found is a page on "Foaling and Predicting Foaling Time", and this page says "In one study, 65.5% of mares foaled at night between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m."

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/horses/facts/info_foaling.htm

So for now I am sticking with noon charts - midnight would probably be a better average for time, but using that could lead to a lot more error because of the change in dates.

BTW, I can now see how the racingpost site shows the odds for tomorrow's races, but it still shows a mainly blank page for the odds of today's race.
ModWasp

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted to place a small each way bet on all three horses (Gleneagles, Ivawood and Territories)

Grats!

Quote:
(He says that if the tricast wins he'll stand naked in Burton's shop window with a sign around his neck saying "I'm stupid, and my wife knows that" Smile)

Oh dear...

Last edited by ModWasp on Sat May 02, 2015 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
john

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Deb, we look forward to you posting the photograph!
skyrack

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tricast paid £196.41.

Very well done!
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations Deb, we look forward to you posting the photograph!

Ha ha!

skyrack, thanks for telling me that, because my husband refused to tell me what my winnings would be - he just told me to go look it up online, and he knows I don't know how to do that Smile He really seems quite annoyed.

Well done GB too!
ModWasp

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ the £2 win @ 7/2, of course!
GB

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressed by Deb's prediction. I shall work through the details again.

I am trying to find the reference to when horses foal. Will post it when I manage to find it - I think it might have been on a farming/vet type site Smile
GB

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found the original quote about time of birth, but have found a similar one from http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0196foal.shtml

I think the original quote was "at night or early morning", this site says "Foaling generally occurs between 10pm and 4am". This does create a problem. A birth of 12 Jan 2012 (Gleneagles) could be early on that day, or late on that day giving a difference in the Moon position of 12 or 13 degrees. I think using a noon chart, as our champion race predictor Deb does, is probably the best thing to do. I shall ignore the horse's Moon position completely. Even the Sun could be half a degree out, so do not rely on applying/separating for very close aspects.

I am now moving to noon charts.
ModWasp

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagle eyed and extreme Virgos among the commentators would have appreciated what is commonly known as, surely, "The Corninelius Observation" in effect.

Heh heh heh.

Thumbs up
Deb
Administrator

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as our champion race predictor Deb

Agh, never do that GB - you can guarantee that the moment I take this seriously and expect to know what I am talking about, I will fail dismally.

I have been lucky though, in the two experiments I've done so far. This £10 bet collected £207, so I left £7 with them to place a £3.50 each way bet on Redstart for tomorrow's 3:40 at Newmarket (1000 Gineas). My previous bet collected £120 on a £10 round robin, so at this stage my total stake has been £20 and the profit has been £307 (or £300 if I take out the money placed on tomorrow's race).

Astrogooner mentioned Redstart for tomorrow's race a few posts back but without saying why - I looked (very quickly) at all the charts earlier, and this one stands out because tomorrow (like 3:45 today) Venus is still strong on the MC in a powerful aspect to the ascendant - the ascendant, incidentally, of today and tomorrow's races (24 Virgo) is within a degree of my natal Moon and trine my natal Sun. Anyone else noticed that they do well when their natal chart is connecting positively to the race chart?

Redstart has Venus at 23 Gemini, so it falls upon the Venus/MC conj of tomorrow's race. It also has natal Jupiter at 22 Taurus, so conj the race Mars, with this conjunction trining the ascendant, as was the case with Territories today. The Moon could be misleading, but it should be somewhere near to a trine of the event Sun or the event ascendant, whilst making a sextile to the event Moon. Not definitive, but I don't think I have time to do much for tomorrow, and the odds of 10/1 seem worth a small e/w bet.

The bi-wheel below is set for the race (3:40 Newmarket), with the outer wheel showing the noon positions of Redstart (9 May 2012). Redstart has Venus trine Saturn natally, so maybe this means it will do well in tomorrow's Saturnine theme?

I haven't included the outers - for me, what they add in extra information is less than they take away by creating too many connections to consider in many charts. I think that if a horse is going to have a good day, we'll see that from the connections to angles and personal planets.

Sorry for the corrections - kept making the same spelling mistake over and over

Last edited by Deb on Sat May 02, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jupiterhead

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, Deb!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Sport and Speculation All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: