I never understood the western reasoning for retrograde planets being deliberated. Any retrograde planet is closer to earth and therefore able to give more power. It's rays are brighter and more auspicious. Seems logical.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

CA-II p164
Besides, usually when the Moon applies to a good aspect of a Retrograde Planet, it brings the matter to an end one way or another speedily, and when least suspected: and it?s a generall Maxime in such like cases, if the Moon apply to the Fortunes, or by good aspect to any Planet or Planets in Angles, then there is reason we hope well, etc.
and page 198:

When Heare of him.
You see Venus is Lady of the 3rd, and Saturn is Lord of the Ascendant; if you consider the Signes they are in, and the severall degrees of each Planet in the Signe; you shall observe, that as well the Significator of the absent Brother, who is Venus, as Saturn Lord of the Ascendant doe apply to each other by a friendly Trine; for Saturn though a ponderous Planet, yet being Retrograde and in more degrees of the Signe then Venus, does by Retrogradation apply to meet her: a very good argument that the Querent should heare newes of his Brother very suddenly; and if you looke into the Ephemeris of Eickstadius 1645, Nov.7, you shall finde the true time of the Trine aspect betwixt Saturn and Venus to be at five of the clocke the same day the Question was asked in the afternoon; but with reduction to our London Meridian a little after foure: I therefore advised the Querent to goe to the Carriers of those Countries where he knew his Brother had been, and aske of them when they saw the quesited; for I told him, it was probable he should heare of him that very day; upon the reason onely because the Significators of both parties met by a friendly Trine, He has since confidently affirmed, that about the very moment of time, viz. about four, a Carrier came casually where he was, and informed him his Brother was in health and living.

retrogradation is not an issue when there is some sort of reception.

It is a bit more complicated and not every one follows the return of light theory.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/tobyn3.html

PD

Thanks everyone!

I tend to think ' return of the light' concept might be accurate. I did have a chart a while back with translation of light and one of the significators retrograde, the chart did not deliver so what Goran says makes sense.

I will have a look at the link you posted Pankaj. Thank you!

MoonRising wrote:Thanks everyone!

I tend to think ' return of the light' concept might be accurate. I did have a chart a while back with translation of light and one of the significators retrograde, the chart did not deliver so what Goran says makes sense.

I will have a look at the link you posted Pankaj. Thank you!
Would you mind to give your example chart, MR?

It would be too interesting to see the return of the light concept being proven.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can a retrograde planet translate or collect light?

MoonRising wrote:Hello!

Just wanting your thoughts on this. Can a planet that is retrograde collect or receive light and translate it to another planet. Or collect light of two planets when retrograde?

thanks!
Yes, if it is supported by context. Imagine you are Venus and a letter you are expecting from your mother is Saturn

Now imagine that postman has tried to deliver this letter to you - but you was not at home. Now this postman returns to the post office with your letter - and suddenly meets you on the way and gives you the letter.

This can be perfectly represented by L6 (a servant), Mercury retrograde (a servant who is returning) transferring the light of Saturn to Venus (literally postmen who returns back deliver you a letter)

So, yes, this is possible if context supports.
My best,
Mark Rusborn

Qualified horary craftsman.

retrogradation is not an issue when there is some sort of reception.

It is a bit more complicated and not every one follows the return of light theory.

Really, is it 'a bit more complicated'? Well, well, who'd have thought of that! Thanks for clarifying :D

Now seriously, my intention was not to write a book on the subject, as these are already written.

I never implied everyone should follow the "return of light" concept , I just reminded of its existence; if the context justifies it, it might be very unwise not to employ it in a delineation.

The crux of the matter is that each and every one of astrological authorities lists retrogradation as a serious accidental debility - William Lilly included, of course. How you judge it is a matter of context and other important factors that are unique to that particular chart AND to that particular planet like essential and (other) accidental dignities or debilities, etc.

So much ought to be self-evident to any serious student of astrology and hence doesn't require long-winded elaboration.

Goran
http://7heavenastrology.wordpress.com
http://klasicnaastrologija.wordpress.com