Terms and face

Is there a way to display terms and faces on the edge of the chart wheel in the horary mode in Janus? I'm finding reception to be quick tricky to master but if there was some way I can see it when looking at a chart it might improve my chances.

Hi there - I don't think there is. The only way I know of getting the dignities is through a table in the traditional chart module. This will give you the term and face rulers of each planet. The wheel designer only seems to allow sign and house division of the chart.

Ed
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

serabella09

I suggest that if you're finding reception difficult to subtract information rather than add to it. Go back to what you're more comfortable with and then build it up from there. If you struggle with reception right now, looking at all the terms and faces won't make the job any easier.

Maybe it would be easier to simply look at reception by domicile - when one planet is in the sign that another rules. In that situation, the planet which rules the sign the other is in, receives the planet which is in its sign. For example when Mercury is in Aries and in aspect with Mars, because Mercury is in the sign that Mars rules, Mars will receive Mercury.

Practice with looking at as many charts as you can find (they don't have to be horary charts, just any chart at all), and see if you can spot any receptions.

Then consider also when a planet is not just in the domicile of another, but perhaps in the exaltation of another. Such as with Mercury being in Aries again, but this time in aspect to the Sun, Mercury being in the sign that the Sun is exalted, and so the Sun receives Mercury.

When you get proficient with this you could then turn to a table of dignities and check term and face, but really if you are struggling with the concept then receptions by term and face are not so powerful as to necessarily get bogged down trying to resolve. If there are receptions by both term and face it can be worth paying attention to, but if as you say you are struggling with reception, then don't add to the information your'e trying to juggle, subtract from it until you have something you can manage easily enough and then expanding to the terms and face will be more natural and easier.

If the problem is in reading a table of dignities, I am happy to go through it with you here until you get the idea of it and feel comfortable in using it yourself.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

Hi serabella,

I agree with Paul that you should use a dignity table to check things on your own before you rely on software. Software programmers are also wrong sometimes, so you shouldn't rely too much.

At the Academia de Astrologia website (Link here) you can find some tables of dignities (PDF):
- Medievel dignity table (Pdf here)
- Dignity table according to Lilly (Pdf Here)

The Academia site belongs to Lu?s Ribeiro and Helena Avelar which are the authors of "On the Heavenly Spheres" book. I highly recommend that book if you are learning Traditional Astrology on your own..

Later, if you need terms and faces in the chart, you can always use my web app (http://apps.flatangle.com/Charts), which can output something like this: