Synastry: uncovered.

It's about to get very personal in this post. Can we just settle this once and for all? Who feels it most, who is the pursued?

I am talking about house overlays in 1st/7th and aspects to the 1st and 7th house rulers!

Some people say they feel nothing when they meet someone who disposes planets into their 7th house. They do feel it when their own planets are doing the disposing. Then some people say the opposite. Others say they feel 1st house connections more. And then again, sometimes its the as aspects to the lord of the 7th that carry more weight.

So, what's it find be?

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer here. I don't think couples all respond identically to the same methods. For example, if someone hates being tied down to one person, it probably doesn't matter which house his/her planets fall into in the other person's chart. If someone thinks a relationship is "all about me," that's not good for a lasting relationship. So first look at the two charts individually, and try to get a sense as to whether the people are even relationship material; and if so, what kind.

I don't pay particular attention to houses in synastry, unless it is for a couple with two accurate birth times in a (preferably midpoint) composite chart. Then it is helpful to have the sun conjunct Venus in the 7th or 4th (the idea of sharing a home together.)

Mine is a minority view, but basically it seems to me that you come into close contact with all kinds of people whose planets fall into your first or seventh house, or vice versa; let alone when you involve house rulers and dispositors. Yet none of these people are going to be your BF/GF simply because of the house connections.

When looking for the pursuer and the pursued in chart comparisons, basically I look for good Mars-Venus inter-aspects or conjunctions. Apart from the guy-girl thing, basically Mars is the pursuer, and Venus is the attractor. So you might get A's Mars sextiling B's Venus, for example, but if B's Mars makes no contact with A's Venus or other important points, then A is likely the pursuer, with only a lukewarm response from B, unless you see supplementary fireworks elsewhere in the chart.

Although I would look at house cusp rulers and dispositors in most types of charts, I don't think they are paramount in synastry-- there is so much more immediate material to look at first. I think the synastry "gold standard" (which you don't often find) would be:

1. Suns trined or sextiled

2. Moons conjunct, trined, or sextiled (emotional compatibility; also good for sharing a home together.)

3. Venus-Mars inter-aspects, with conjunctions, trines or sextiles (sexual/romantic compatibility.)

4. Conjunctions, sextiles, or trines in inter-aspects of any of the above with involving the ascendant (A's Venus conjuncts B's ascendant, for example.)

5. Inter-aspects with the above (For example, A's sun sextiles B's moon and ascendant.)

6. Jupiter contacts are a "feel good" bonus. Well-matched Mercuries can ease communication.

I stress conjunctions (which are immediate) and the "easy" sextiles and trines. Squares and oppositions will definitely connect two people, but they can become stressful in a close long-term relationship.

Obviously if people share no conjunctions or happy aspects between their key planets, it isn't likely there will be much of a relationship going. Although sometimes the composite chart will give a different picture.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Anybody else? 7th house overlays? Saturn aspects? Ruler of 7th house aspects? 1st house overlays? I am sure you have experiences. Who is the more interested party?