Valens Eminence Indicators Applied to Solar Revolutions

Something I have noticed is that if you apply Valens eminence indicators to Solar Revolutions, they tend to be indicative in a general way of whether the native will have what would be considered a "good" year, a "bad" year or a "so so" year.

Before continuing, these are Valens Lot Eminence Indicators, as summarised in the "Miscellaneous Reports" section of Curtis Manwaring's Delphic Oracle program:
Lord of Fortune in 10th from Fortune:
Lord of Spirit in 10th from Fortune:
Lord of Exalt in 10th from Fortune:

Lord of Basis in 10th from Fortune:

Lord of Fortune in own domicile:
Lord of Fortune hands over to Spirit:
Lord of Fortune hands over to Exalt:

Lord of Fortune hands over to Basis:

Lord of Spirit in own domicile:
Lord of Spirit hands over to Fortune:
Lord of Spirit hands over to Exalt:

Lord of Spirit hands over to Basis:

Lord of Exalt in own domicile:
Lord of Exalt hands over to Fortune:
Lord of Exalt hands over to Spirit:

Lord of Exalt hands over to Basis:

Lord of Basis in own domicile:
Lord of Basis hands over to Fortune:
Lord of Basis hands over to Spirit:
Lord of Basis hands over to Exalt:

Miscellaneous Eminence Indicators:

Ascendant Lord in 10th House:
Lord of 10th in the Ascendant:

In general, the more indicators present in the chart the higher the eminence level but they do not all carry equal weight - I have bolded the ones I think are more important. I would also add:
- ruler of Fortune or Spirit in H1 or H10.
- having any lot with or ruling an exalted planet.
- Jupiter conjunct a lot or in the 10th from Fortune or Spirit also tends to be quite fortunate.

There is another factor to consider: The strength of the trigon lords of the sect light but I am less sure about the importance of this in Solar Revolutions.

Examples of eminence being delineated in the nativities of Al Gore and George W. Bush can be seen in the links below:

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-file ... egore.html

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-file ... ebush.html

Gettting back to how this works for Solar Revolutions, one need not have an "eminent" nativity for this to "work" so I will instead hereafter refer to Valens eminence indicators as "conditions related to happiness"

"Happiness" is subjective and can range from a politician becoming President of the United States for a person with an eminent nativity* to an unemployed person getting a job for a person with a non-eminent nativity. Note that it's not all about careers either as there is also a social element to "happiness" - e.g becoming more popular, making new friends, starting a new relationship, etc. The main planets involved would tend to indicate whether the native's "happiness" or "success" would be inclined towards career or social/relationships but they are of course not exclusive of each other (Generally, Sun, Jupiter Saturn for the former; Moon, Venus and Mars the latter, with Mercury swinging both ways depending on what planet(s) configured with). As a personal example, I had a return with Fortune/Libra/10th ruled by Venus/Capricorn/1st trine Moon/Taurus/5th with the lot of Spirit in Taurus. That year, I got a new job (10th house influence) and became close friends with another employee and had a much more active social life compared to previous years (Venus trine Moon well placed having dominion over Fortune and Spirit).

Now, what would the general indicators be for a "bad" year or "conditions related to unhappiness"?

The lots and/or rulers of the lots opposing each other, especially if malefics are involved, benefics falling amiss and not involved with the lots, a very tight (<3 degrees) conjunction or opposition to a lot from a poorly placed malefic.

For probably most Revolutions, there will not be strong indicators either way and the native will experience a non-descript or "so so" year with nothing particularly notable (positive or negative) occuring.

However, it must be emphasised that this is a very general overview of the year and does not negate or trump other Solar Revolution delineation methods such as condition of Lord of the Year, profections, etc., although I have noticed that they to reinforce each other rather than be contradictory.

So, let's see a few examples.

Richard M. Nixon was elected President of the United States in November 1968. His January 1968 Solar Revolution is shown below:
Here are the favourable configurations related to the lots:

Fortune ruler is in H1
Fortune is closely conjunct Jupiter (ruler of Exaltation)
Exaltation hands over to Fortune
Exalted Moon is with Spirit and Basis
Spirit hands over to Exaltation (Venus/Sagittarius).

There is a negative indicator: Mars opposed to Fortune and Jupiter. This probably speaks of the (ultimately ineffective) attacks he experienced while running for President that is a hallmark of American Presidential elections, especially given Mars placement in the 3rd house which is associated with communications and the media. It was not enough to derail him because the positive indications listed above are extremely favourable and Mars is relatively weak and not placed in or ruling any important place in this revolution.

Another favourable indicator not related to the lots is the rising Sun in H1 - we'll see the opposite situation in his fall from grace revolution with the Sun in H7.

In August 1974, Nixon resigned under threat of impeachment over the Watergate scandal. In October 1974 he fell seriously ill with phlebitis but recovered after an operation. His finances also took a hit. He did however experience one positive outcome in September 1974 - Ford granted him a full pardon for any crimes he may have committed, freeing him from any future legal consequences over Watergate.

His January 1974 Solar Revolution:
The most notable configuration involving the lots is the partile opposition from Saturn in the 12th to Fortune in the 6th. Saturn rules the lot of Spirit (ruler of Spirit is a badly placed malefic opposing Fortune to the degree) so this speaks of both the reputation and health taking a hit this year.

Spirit is with Jupiter and Venus in Aquarius but they are falling amiss in the idle place and not well placed relative to Fortune either. They are opposed to the Moon showing the public's opposition to Nixon and Mars, ruler of Exaltation is at the apex of a T-square adding further stress to the configuration. The affliction of the Moon with Mars in a superior position is another indicator of health difficulties this year (Fortune opposing Saturn is the other), although the intervening ray of Venus and application to Jupiter prevents the worst outcome (death).

The positive indicator is Fortune handing over to Spirit but this configuration is afflicted as described above. Jupiter and Venus conjunct Spirit may be factors in Nixon getting the Presidential pardon. The ruler of Exaltation/10th (Mars/Taurus) is also not badly placed as the 11th is a good house although arguably the setting Sun has more sway over this place because Mars is in aversion to Aries (exaltation of the Sun).

Sun in 7th is unfavourable. It is closely conjunct Basis ruler Mercury - again unfavourable.
The rise (Sun in 1st) and fall (Sun setting in the 7th) of Nixon's Presidential career is marked in the 1968 and 1974 Solar Revolutions respectively.

As another example of the importance of the lots, George W. Bush's 2000 election as U.S President makes little sense based on his Solar Revolution of that year without reference to the lots:
There is a loaded 12th house but this is not merely the 12th house - it is also the 10th from Fortune, a very powerful position.

The positive indicators of advancement are:

Ruler of Fortune (Libra/3rd) AND Exaltation (Taurus/10th) AND Spirit (Gemini/11th) are in 10th from Fortune - this is extremely positive for advancement!

Basis hands over to Spirit and Spirit is conjunct Jupiter (note that the Supreme Court swung the election to Bush and Jupiter conjunct Spirit also resulted in a favourable legal outcome for Nixon via the pardon).

The Exaltation closely conjunct Saturn in the 10th is an interesting configuration. Saturn is in a diurnal chart here so is less harmful - it may indicate the acquisition of the burdens of the Presidency.

It was not all plain sailing for Bush this return year as he experienced political attacks including the exposure of a 1974 arrest for drunk driving and the outcome of the election was very contentious. This is the influence of the loaded 12th house and Mars/Cancer (particularly apt for exposure of a 'secret' drink driving conviction, an 11th hour revelation which Karl Rove believed cost Bush the majority vote) which is conjunct the Sun and Mercury (Mercury-Mars combinations are noted for public controversies) and the planet to which the Moon applies.

So, to conclude, I believe that Valens eminence indicators can be applied to Solar Revolutions and can give a general overview of how good, bad or indifferent the natives year will be. Examples are given for two American Presidents but this technique is not confined to persons with eminent natal charts.

My question to forum members is if you try and apply this to some of your own Solar Revolutions or those of clients/people you know, do you see any value in it?

More examples would be welcome.

Interesting you bring this up because I have been watching my own returns with similar ideas in mind. The main idea that I had was to test whether Valens conditions for "eudaimonia" which is what Schmidt calls the 4 lots handing over to each other (where Valens says that when Basis hands over to Spirit, Spirit to Exaltation, Exaltation to fortune (or any combination of these) and particularly if the 10th from SR fortune is beneficial. I have also done these with lunar returns, but I have only been doing this with my own chart. The results seem promising. I have run into situations where transiting lots seem to be effective as well (particularly Valens lot of theft where the 3 planet lot transits much slower - Saturn, Mars, Mercury). I watch where that falls in the zodiac and it often coincides to the degree some rather nasty events.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

I also first noticed this with my own Returns and then started applying it to others and saw that there was something to it. Like you, I've also been doing the same for my Lunar Returns with good results.

Yes it would appear that the "handing over" of the important lots is the most important factor and not the condition of the trigon lords of the sect light which is the method for natal charts.

Regarding transiting lots, I presume you are referring to mundane events here? Like your article about the lot of Nemesis and the 9/11 attacks:

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-files/wtcattack.html

Stellarium wrote:Regarding transiting lots, I presume you are referring to mundane events here? Like your article about the lot of Nemesis and the 9/11 attacks:

http://www.astrology-x-files.com/x-files/wtcattack.html
Yes. I've seen some startling transits involving the lots. For example, the lot of accusation transiting the 7th and it's lord upon their natal lot of accusation.

The 3 planet lot of Valens (Saturn, Mars, Mercury) on the ruler of the 1st and 6th and it's lord conjunct transiting Saturn.

Etc... (I'd explain more, but client confidentiality...)
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC