Will this art course be good for me?

I have been looking for a home art course that I can take online. Now I found one, I want to know if it will be good for me or not and how good the teaching there is. Here's the chart.
Mars, 9th ruler, in Aquarius is the 6th is not strong. Maybe the course isn't as good as it looks. Sun is in Sagittarius trine Jupiter in Leo in the 1st. Jupiter appears to collect the light of Sun and Mars, even though Mars is in a very early degree.

Only aspect the Moon will make is a trine to Saturn.

Mercury in detriment and combust seems to reflect my material situation (and perhaps a confused perception).

My judgment is the course isn't as fabulous as I want to believe, but that it would still benefit me. Nothing will happen for a long time.

P.S. I apologize for not posting to the forum often enough. Nearly all my horaries end up being a "No" so I just stopped doing them after a while! I posted this because this is a rare instance where there seems to be a possible "Yes" answer.

Hi, there!

You know that the chart always remains your task so, by sharing my opinion, I am not suggesting that you should derive from your original approach. But, generally, speaking, I would probably approach this chart in a different manner. It's up to the astrologer to decide which house to assign to a specific person or activity (because, some times, we have more than one option) and it is usually best to do it in advance which is, I believe, what you did by assigning the 9th to the upcoming activity - an online course. Personally, I would probably be more inclined to use the 3rd for short courses (as opposed to longer studies) but, when I read your question, I actually assumed that it was a 5th house matter. In a way, regardless of the approach, i would say that the 5th house in this chart begs to be noticed. It is full of planets and it has a strong natural association with arts, hobbies, hobby courses etc. In addition, the Ascendant ruler (you) went there showing that this house represents your current interests. A top of that, the cusp of the 5th falls into Sagittarius-the symbolism of this sign actually corresponds with the symbolism of the 9th house (online course). So, in a way,although the focus appears to be shifted onto the 5th in the chart, it still supports your initial approach by suggesting that the 9th house symbolism is important.
The presence of your own ruler inside the 5th in Sagittarius (knowledge, education, studies) conjunct Venus and Mercury is a good indication of your wish to become involved in an artistic activity (Venus and the 5th) and additionally educated in that field (L1 conjunct the planets of Art and education inside the house of Art and in a sign that rules knowledge, literature, teachers ect.).
The ruler of the 5th on your Ascendant can actually be perceived as a conjunction and, since it is in a very strong mutual reception with L1 (by sign), you have a very strong indication of some sort of activities that resonate with art courses. More importantly, you might really benefit from them (strong mutual reception).
However, a planet that prohibits the application of the two planets (prevents them from completing a trine) is, as you already mentioned, the ruler of the 2nd which suggests that the course might turn out to be overly pricey and potentially, currently unavailable to you.
But, even with this in mind, i would say that the energy of a trine and the strong reception actually suggests that you should pursue your goal.
The presence of the Moon inside the 11th again suggests that you want some of your dreams to finally come true but, technically, it could also e saying that, besides gaining a new knowledge, you want to enrich your social life as well which makes me wander if you should, maybe, try to find a similar course that you could attend in person (and potentially enjoy working in a group and meet some new people. Cancer, after all, rules larger groups of people). The Moon is strong which is yet another good omen however, it is very inactive at the moment.
Have you considered another type of course where you could actually join a group of people? (Note that Mercury also rules the 11th).

Cheers,

aglaya

Thank you for the analysis. Very insightful! I did assign the question to the 9th house. While the course is short (a few months), the founder offers lifetime membership and coaching. But more significantly perhaps, I am LOOKING for a 9th house thing, not a 3rd house one. Essentially, I was asking if the course would help me attain a 9th house objective. It has been my lifelong desire to educated in painting and visual arts. Now whether that justifies placing the quality of the art course in that house or not, I don't know.

Interesting about the Moon and the 11th house. I am having a Neptune transit to my 11th right now. So yes, the time is ripe for me to seek out friendships in art circles. It is also tied with my deepest wishes. But going to a local art class is out of the question because of my personal obligations. That's why I'm turning to online courses.

Since I posted the chart, I've looked at the founding artist and learned a couple of things. They seem to be competent and very active in the art scene (not like some educators who seem to teach more than they do any real work) and their technical skills are impressive. But I am not a fan of their overall style. That and the cost is what's holding me back. Oh, Mars in Aquarius in the detriment of the Sun. Maybe that shows I dislike the artist's work?

traditionalastrologystude wrote:Thank you for the analysis. Very insightful! I did assign the question to the 9th house. While the course is short (a few months), the founder offers lifetime membership and coaching. But more significantly perhaps, I am LOOKING for a 9th house thing, not a 3rd house one.
As I already said, the chart actually stresses the influence of this house through the presence of the planet that naturally rules the activities described by the 9th (Jupiter) inside your 1st house as well as through the presence of Sagittarius (the 9th house nature again) inside the 5th (artistic activities) in which your ruler is placed. So, in a way, it seems that the chart is telling you that a large number of relevant informations is hiding in a house that is not necessarily the 9th (but is still relevant). This does not mean that you should abandon the 9th all together, of course- quite the contrary, the chart is stressing the activities of the 9th through the 5th and the 1st. Technically, the chart appears to be confirming your initial assumption that many activities are of the 9th house nature however, it decided to be talkative in another part of the wheel which should not go unnoticed. By packing so many relevant planets into the 5th (generally relevant for the matter), it basically instructs you to think about the crowd sitting there.
Personally, I would read such a strong influence of the 5th as a sign that the activity itself (painting) is what truly matters because it is the most dynamic house which is actually quite good- the course is a temporary activity (with or without lifetime membership) whilst the art is something that you intend to bring back into your life and keep it there for a long time. The mutual reception of the L1 and L5 looks very promising in that way. You are seriously interested in expanding and re-activating your artistic capacities (L1 inside the 5th) and these activities become very present in your life as well (L5 on the Asc). Moreover, I would generally read this placement and mutual reception as a strong indication of talent and artistic capacities which is great. The teacher can be changed- as long as the student is good, everything is good! ;)
So, in a way, considering the shape of the rulers of the 1st and the 5th, and seeing the approaching prohibition and a poor shape of the 9th ruler (even the void Moon), I would almost say that, whatever happens, you should not become discouraged because the blockages and disappointments are most likely to be of short breath. The art, on the other hand, seems to be deeply rooted in your nature and becoming active again might bring you a lot of pleasure.

This just may be a good example of why a chart always needs to be thoroughly examined - if you decide that the chart is instructing you to find a new teacher because the current one is not good, you will have the answer to your original question but the chart is clearly saying that you should know more than that. And that is - that you should not abandon the art. The planets are brought into a contact by a benevolent trine which, however, is interrupted by the application of Mercury. But, with so many positive indicators, it almost seems that the chart wants to let you know that, no matter what obstacles you come across, you should continue to follow your path. That, at least, is my impression.
Oh, Mars in Aquarius in the detriment of the Sun. Maybe that shows I dislike the artist's work?
Maybe. Mars is also cadent which may have something to do with the fact that you cannot have a direct tutoring which is always a good thing in such type of education but you should not forget the natural symbolism of the planets - Jupiter rules high education, higher levels of knowledge and teachers and mentors and it is in a very strong mutual reception with L1 and sitting on your Ascendant.

Interesting about the Moon and the 11th house. I am having a Neptune transit to my 11th right now. So yes, the time is ripe for me to seek out friendships in art circles. It is also tied with my deepest wishes.
The Moon talks about the upcoming activities and is the co-ruler of the Question. Having it in a benevolent house and inside its own domicile in a Horary chart is surely one of the best omens that you can have. In this particular case, however, it is a bit outside of the sight of the other planets and it can't form any aspects at the moment which is potentially suggesting that the biggest activities may be a few steps away (rather than just around the corner) but, at the same time, her shape is additionally supporting the promise coming from the 5th and the 1st and that is - that you're sure about your choice, that you're opening a whole new chapter in your life and that it is a fruitful field.
The house in which the Moon is placed often pinpoints the area of the Querent's biggest interest and, with both your Ascendant ruler and the Moon being placed along the 1st/5th axis, it is surely a good indication of your current focus.
In addition, the 11th rules children, friends, life-long goals and wishes and, with Cancer inside it, artistic surroundings and potentially female friends which surely adds an important shade to this picture.
Since I posted the chart, I've looked at the founding artist and learned a couple of things. They seem to be competent and very active in the art scene (not like some educators who seem to teach more than they do any real work) and their technical skills are impressive. But I am not a fan of their overall style.
Astrology-wise, it is a commonly accepted idea that the house which comes right after the house that rules someone's work, describes the direct consequences of his work and productivity. Since the professional work of a person is ruled by the 10th, we are basically talking about the 11th! So, you might want to turn the chart, to see what the derived 11th of your potential tutor/mentor and its ruler have got to tell you. His derived Asc is the 9th cusp, his derived 10th is the radical 6th and his 11th is the radical 7th. They are both ruled by Saturn and, with a strong influence of Aquarious and with Mars inside the 6th, his approach may be somewhat innovative, eccentric, dark and violent.

However, having said all this, I'll step outside of the Astrology zone into the zone where I probably feel even more free and try to give you a friendly advice. I have graduated from an arts academy and I have a masters degree in that field - I could say that i was really blessed during my education as far as good teachers are concerned. But, if there's one thing that I have learned, it's that a great teacher doesn't necessarily need to be a great artist. And the other way around - a great artist can be a very lousy teacher. Great artists occasionally tend to be selfish as they're mainly orientated towards their own creativity. In addition, their experience, talent and knowledge are not sufficient for good tutoring - it's the didactic skills that count. Likewise, a great teacher (Jupiter), even if not the best in the field as a creative artist, can help students to become great artists. From that perspective, a student shouldn't even be bothered by the teacher's creativity as it is his own, personal and intimate channel for expressing his artistic abilities. The purpose of learning is to find your own channel and for that, you need a good, open minded and unselfish teacher who knows his job. And that means - someone capable of teaching people to become artists capable of expressing their own style regardless of the teacher's approach and style. Picasso's teacher wasn't a cubist painter but has has surely mentored him in a correct way, allowing him to express himself through Cubism eventually. In addition, his teacher was not a famous painter.

So, my main advice for you is to concentrate on your potential teachers' approach to teaching (rather than painting) and see if you think that he is the kind of teacher who can give you enough knowledge and help you express yourself properly.

Best of luck,

aglaya

Thank you for your analysis and for your advice. I thought about it and realize you are right. The creative aspect is more important to me than a higher education, which is secondary. And my natal chart does show a very strong inclination toward art too.

Now I think about it, Mars in Aquarius does describe the artist's style very well. It never hit me that the best artists don't always make the best teachers and vice versa, though it makes sense about some artists being rather self-centered or concerned only with their own creativity. Thank you for that insight. That coudn't have come from someone who has no personal experience.

I was able to buy the course after contacting the owner. They gave me a deep discount, which was nice of them. I will update this thread to let people know how it turns out.

It amazes me how much a horary chart can reveal if one knows how to read it (like you do). I am approaching middle age and feel that now is the time to pursue this dream. A difficult phase has just ended, and it really feels like a new one is beginning.

By the way, I think it is cool to meet someone here who is into art as well as astrology. :' 8)