Degrees of exaltation in "Ptolemy's Table"?

Dear all,

May I know from those who have studied Ptolmey's Tetrabiblos whether the degrees of exaltation were actually used?

As far as I can tell, the exact degrees of exaltation, eg. Sun: Aries 19deg etc, have not been given in Ptolemy's Tetrabibos, in his chapter dealing with planetary exaltation (I.19). Pingree and Bouch?-Leclercq took the degrees from Dorotheus. Vettius Valens also gave the exact degrees. This gives me the impression that Ptolemy was not so much interested in the practical details, but rather the philosophical aspect of horoscopy. Does anyone else get this impression as well?

In an article on Skyscript titled "'Ptolemy's table of planetary dignity explained" (by Deborah Houlding?), the exact degrees were given in a table "according to Ptolemy":
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig2.html

I wonder if this is a mistake or if there are parts of Ptolemy's works which I have overlooked.

Best regards,
Bill Mak
Kyoto University
Associate Professor, Kyoto University
www.billmak.com

Hi Bill,

the title "Ptolemy's table of dignities" refers to the Arabic-type tables of dignities appearing in the astrology of the early modern age where the triplicities (trigons) and terms (bounds/confines) devised by Ptolemy are included instead of the so-called "Dorothean" triplicities and Egyptian terms.
This certainly doesn't mean the whole table should be attributed to Ptolemy, whose Tetrabiblos mentions the degrees of exaltations nowhere.