the elements in astrology

the use of the elements in astrology must go way back to some time in the deep past where certain philosophical ideas overlapped with astrology. i would be curious about the history of their use in relation to astrology.

some astrologers think they have nothing to do with astrology.. i always remember the shocking viewpoints that jump up out of my memory more quickly, lol.. i have pondered this position too. not to beat a dead horse too much, but everything will change depending on whether one uses the tropical or sidereal zodiac...

the focus of my post is an idea that i mentioned in the mystery exercise thread from oct 22 / 14.. it comes out of the idea that the absence of an element in a chart would have some bearing on a better understanding of a chart. i have had a particular interest in this topic, as i have a chart with an absence of air. if i was to use one word association for the air element it would be 'detachment', something with i feel i lack! sometimes we are defined more by what we lack or are weak in then what we are strong in, although the strengths appear more obvious to others, the weaknesses may not be so obvious. i think it is this way with regard to an absence of an element. we will tend to notice the strong presence of a type of energy associated with an element, but not be as quick to pick up on what is missing..

the ideas i have on what a missing element would look like in a chart go along these general lines.. they are my own ideas which are more often then not a collection of others ideas, or ideas i have picked up over the course of time.

lack of detachment when air is missing
lack of practicality when earth is missing
lack of confidence when fire is missing
lack of sensitivity when water is missing

now, the above paragraph was stream of consciousness writing coming out of my fire/water chart for the record.. i am using this post as a starting point for others to offer some perspective(air) that i am obviously missing, LOL!

Re: the elements in astrology

Hi James,

Needless to say, it took me some time until I could finally wrap my head around your thread. Maybe the topic is just so expansive that it's difficult to say something in particular about it... Or maybe, I was suffering from a lack of Air temporarily.
james_m wrote:the use of the elements in astrology must go way back to some time in the deep past where certain philosophical ideas overlapped with astrology. i would be curious about the history of their use in relation to astrology.
The first astrologer to mention the four Aristotelian elements was Valens. In their place, earlier authors refered to the four winds. I think that these concepts are interchangeable, however. For a related example, the three qualities in astrology are the same like the three principles in alchemy, even though they are known there as Sulfur, Salt and Mercury.

The Thoth Tarot card The Universe shows the two ideas - elements and winds - in unison; note that the four fixed signs (Scorpio being represented by the eagle according to esoteric tradition) are not arranged in order of the zodiac; they are shown in accordance with the Aristotelian cross of the four elements.
Source: thetarotroom.com

The four elements were a universal scheme of categorization in ancient science; even the planets were seen as analogous to them. The latter played an important role in astro-medicine. Deb has an interesting article out about this:

http://skyscript.co.uk/humours.html

It also treats the connection between the elements with the temperaments which were seen as more than psychological.
some astrologers think they have nothing to do with astrology..
:lol: Now, really...
the focus of my post is an idea that i mentioned in the mystery exercise thread from oct 22 / 14.. it comes out of the idea that the absence of an element in a chart would have some bearing on a better understanding of a chart. i have had a particular interest in this topic, as i have a chart with an absence of air. if i was to use one word association for the air element it would be 'detachment', something with i feel i lack! sometimes we are defined more by what we lack or are weak in then what we are strong in, although the strengths appear more obvious to others, the weaknesses may not be so obvious. i think it is this way with regard to an absence of an element. we will tend to notice the strong presence of a type of energy associated with an element, but not be as quick to pick up on what is missing..
Well, it depends. I.e., the lack of practicality can be QUITE obvious in the household of somebody who has a lack of Earth. But I agree with you that we would generally rather notice what is there than what isn't there first. That is, unless we happen to have a lot of Earth in our chart...
the ideas i have on what a missing element would look like in a chart go along these general lines.. they are my own ideas which are more often then not a collection of others ideas, or ideas i have picked up over the course of time.

lack of detachment when air is missing
lack of practicality when earth is missing
lack of confidence when fire is missing
lack of sensitivity when water is missing
That's a useful list, James. Needless to say, it could be much extended, but I think it sums things up neatly. Nice for the blackboard in an astro seminar...
now, the above paragraph was stream of consciousness writing coming out of my fire/water chart for the record.. i am using this post as a starting point for others to offer some perspective(air) that i am obviously missing, LOL!
Well, I hope that I was able to mention something of interest to you. Happy to talk more (Air again).