Terrible news - I'm very sorry to hear it. Dave was a controversial character, with outspoken views - I didn't take to all of his views, but he was a passionate proponent for astrology and his bookstore has been a tremendous asset for most of us. I didn't know he had any problems with his health so this has come as a big shock.

In his newsletter over the past year, Dave recounted his experiences with western medicine and its inability to help him with heart trouble. He saw this coming, but thought he had a few more years - in an email from 2012 (based on a method of his own invention, combined with family history), he calculated that he would live until 2018, 2020 at most.

I was so sad to learn of Dave's passing, for - as Deb says - he was a passionate advocate of astrology and his store and publications were enormously helpful to the astrological community. My deepest condolences to his wife and daughter.

This is a great shock. Tom, can you point us to the notice of his death? Dave had been working on a printed version of Riley's Valens translation, but he kept dragging his feet on completing the preparation. For those who would like to see his birth chart, his data is 10 February 1952, 12:32 p.m. CST (6 hr), Winfield, Kansas, USA. Dave leaves a wife and young daughter. He also had a number of siblings.

Yes, Dave was having serious heart problems which he discussed in his weekly newsletter. He did a wonderful job of publishing out-of-print astrological classics, and if his site closes down, it will be a great loss for astrology. I didn't always agree with his reviews of books, but it was helpful having a site where one could read a few words about almost any text one was interested in.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

I received the information from Philip Graves who posted it on Facebook. I don't know of any other notice. His last newsletter was posted on his website on July 29. It must have occurred shortly after that.

Dave's wife sent a brief email to his newsletter subscribers in which she posted a link to his final newsletter (written sometime before the July 29 publication date). Dave died on July 27. Arrangements are being handled by a local funeral home, but to date there has been no detailed obituary or public death notice (at least not one that I have seen). His given name was William R. Roell.

The funeral home put up a page where people can post condolences. Here is a link: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit ... id=6062282

i just want to say a big thanks to Dave for what he contributed to the astrological community and for the truly individual and weird way he did it.
I am glad to have communicated with him. It was on one occasion a few years ago when ordering books from him and he was sincere and kind in helping me with the payment method and the shipping.
I will be eternally grateful to him for his newsletter for it is from it that I learned of and subsequently bought some very precious books on Astrology, Physiognomy and Medieval Medical Astrology.
I just wish he could have published the 9 books of Valens.
Ancient and Chinese Astrology:

https://www.100percentastrology.com/

That was an appalling news. His picture looked so young so I never expected him to pass away so soon...I guess it was a picture of a younger Dave?

The chart describes his flamboyant and argumentative communication style pretty well. The square between Mercury and Mars, where Mercury is with the Sun on the MC, and Mercury is also the ruler of the Ascendant.

When you said serious heart problems, I was thinking debilitated Mars or Sun. He does have Mars on the 6th, though in its domicile. Also interesting is that he was in his 63rd year.

My condolences to Dave and his family.
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

I should have mentioned that Dave's publication of Lilly's Christian Astrology (in two volumes) is beautifully done and very easy to read. He has combined some of the original text and design features with easy-to-read modern typefaces so that the books have an antique aged feeling. I think these volumes may turn out to be Dave's finest contribution to the world of astrology.

Because there are other editions of Lilly, Dave's edition may not be very well known in Europe. If anyone still does not own Lilly, this is the edition I'd recommend. (Astrology Classics, 2004) We don't know how long Dave's many publications of classics will remain in print once the current stock is gone.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

I always enjoyed getting his newsletter on Monday morning. His views were sometimes extreme, but his passion for astrology was palpable. Mondays will never be the same.