Transits method

Hello,

I would like to know if Traditional astrology has a specific method to look for transits or if they look at them and take them for active as long as they are in "orb". Actually I try to use eclipses (from one kind to the next one of same kind) and stationary transits of the planets. Both on radix and progressed chart (I don't use primary directory actually). Where can I find information on this topic?
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Carriere,

Transits were generally used to trigger events already foretold in the nativity and the Solar Revolution, they can be likened to the second-hand of a clock.

Personally, I have found planets transiting the sign of the profected ASC able to bring their significations for that year to bear. Also the same thing when they transit, by body or by aspect, the current bounds of the the directed Hyleg. The planets' actual (as in observed in the real sky) appearances and disappearances are important for the same thing and also their stationings.

All of this is personal observation that confirms the same ideas written in Vettius Valens' Anthology and in Abu Ma'shar's On Solar Revolutions. Valens can be found for free as translated by Mark Riley if you query a search engine and Abu Ma'shar's text can be purchased from Ben Dykes' website.

Konrad wrote:
Transits were generally used to trigger events already foretold in the nativity and the Solar Revolution, they can be likened to the second-hand of a clock.
Konrad,

Weren't actually primary directions what astrologers traditionally would base any further predictions with other techniques on, generally speaking?

Well, I heard that in a traditional setting you would typically start with the primary directions, and only based on their delineation would you proceed to transits and other predictive techniques.

Whereas in modern astrology it seems that transits are the first (and sometimes only) consideration for many a practitioner.

Yes, Michael, that is exactly what I meant. When I said that transits were the "second-hand" of the clock, I meant that they time things down to to the smallest detail, but they only foretell what is already described throughout the hierarchy of prediction. For me personally, this goes:

Directing the Hyleg through the bounds -> the profected ASC ->the Solar Revolution -> Monthly Profections

Only after all of that do the transits of the lord of the year and and the lord of the bounds of the directed Hyleg have any relevance to the prediction. I am still experimenting with Zodiacal Releasing and Decennials, but I do appreciate the Persian suite of annual techniques as outlined by both Mash'allah and Abu Ma'shar via the translations of Ben Dykes.