Moon in the Asendant

Hi all

This is my first post to this forum, so as a total, total student please bear with me if my questions appear to be a little stupid. I am studying, or trying to study Traditional Astrology, and to be honest finding it a little up-hill. However, I am told it will click (one day!).

My first problem is how to determine when the Moon is in the Ascendant (or Rising)?

Does this happen daily? or is it tied to Cancer, astrological sign for the Moon?

or is it in fact a totally different situation?

How can I calculate it?

I have Solar Fire Gold, but I still just sit and stare at the screen. So not an expert in its use. Simple answer please.

Kind Regard

Robert

If I were you I would put solar fire down and go outside. At sunrise you may see the sun rising (ascending) and at 1 pm it will be around the MC. At dusk it sinks into the sixth house. All other stars and planets do pretty much the same thing every day. At night you will see Jupiter high in the east but later on it moves over to the west before it too sinks under the earth.
Some newspapers publish the rising and setting times of moon on a daily basis.
Also buy an ephemeris and you will see the progress of the planets through the signs which is something different from the above
MJ
Matthew Goulding

Moon Ascendent

Hi Mjacob

Thanks for your reply, sorry but I am still confused.

Are you saying the Moon is in the Ascendant everyday? ie. the hours it is rising?

So I need to find the times (daily) when the Moon rises, this is when it is ascending, and when it sets, the Moon is descending (if that's the correct term)?

If this is the case simple!

Regards

Robert

Re: Moon in the Asendant

Fisher wrote:I have Solar Fire Gold, but I still just sit and stare at the screen. So not an expert in its use. Simple answer please.
Too bad you spent so much money when you could have had the answer for free:

http://www.astro.com

... which has a nice free chart calculation service. The Moon rises and sets every day in most locations in the world (poles would be the exception).

I wrote software for advanced traditional astrology (medieval and Hellenistic mainly), but it is meant for professionals. It will be difficult for you to get the most out of Solar Fire until you've advanced past the basics.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

It is certainly a case of buying the Mercedes before paying for the first driving lesson. I have not been able to use Solar Fire for a while as the laptop it is on is broke and I have found the free Morinus quite good for traditional stuff but I do seem to remember that it had an option to move the chart in real time so you could watch the planets rise over the ascendant
Matthew Goulding

Are you saying the Moon is in the Ascendant everyday? ie. the hours it is rising?

So I need to find the times (daily) when the Moon rises, this is when it is ascending, and when it sets, the Moon is descending (if that's the correct term)?

If this is the case simple!
Yes, it's that simple :)

Deb, Zoidsoft, Mjacob and Vasanth, and any others who reply following this posting.

A Very Big Thanks.

But expect more questions in the future!!!!!

Kind Regards

Robert

Sky

No prob. I should point out one flaw in my method. According to the ephemeris Jupiter is in Cancer right now but when I saw it in the sky recently it was next to the star Wasat in Gemini. There is clearly something wrong with the sphere of heaven above Saturn's and it is time someone went up there and reset it to default :-?
Matthew Goulding

Re: Sky

Mjacob wrote:No prob. I should point out one flaw in my method. According to the ephemeris Jupiter is in Cancer right now but when I saw it in the sky recently it was next to the star Wasat in Gemini. There is clearly something wrong with the sphere of heaven above Saturn's and it is time someone went up there and reset it to default :-?
Perhaps Ibn Ezra would be so kind to do the job for you?

Mjacob:

Yes, we should transform the constellations into equally sized zodiacs. :)

If I want to approximate when the Moon rises without software, I would gather two information:

(a) Full Moon dates and times
(b) Sunset times during the Full Moons

Then, for every day that passes after a Full Moon, I would add 13/20 hour to the Sunset time; that would be the rising time of the Moon. For every day before a Full Moon, I would subtract 13/20 hour from the Sunset time.

It's a very appromixate method though.
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.