Will A get better?

My friend wants to know if he would get emotionally better this year.
He has been dependent on alcohol and drugs for years. And its been on and off for a bit now. He is trying to get better. He suffers from deep loneliness as well.

He is Jupiter in Cancer, exalted in the 8th, he is worried and emotional. His health is signified by Venus in the 3rd in its Terms squaring Saturn, looks like he is in bad shape. Funny though that Venus is in the 3rd because he has been talking about moving to a different town and selling his current home for a smaller home.
Moon in Sagittarius in Mutual Reception with his significator Jupiter, I think yes he will get emotionally better because of the MR. But there is no aspect. Moon will sextile Mars rx in the 10th. Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.
Any insight would be appreciated.

https://imageshack.com/i/f1jq8g

Seems like a mixed bag to me. Jupiter has just recently gone direct, so he's gaining in speed, which could be an indication of improving. I'd assume for a question like this we would want to see the querent' s planet gaining in dignity in some way.

Jupiter in MR with moon could show that he really cares about himself and cares about getting better, which is def a good sign.

Appropriately, the malefics seem to signify the addiction itself. Saturn is in the 12th house, house of self undoing ( and, I assume, house of addiction), and mars is lord of this house. Saturn is in its joy in the twelfth. I'm not sure if that is good or bad for this scenario. Both planets are retrograde, perhaps to symbolize this is a recurring issue with him?

Venus , his health, is mutually applying to both Saturn and mars, but will reach mars first ( but just barely) . The moon emphasizes the connection between Venus and mars by translating light from Venus to mars.

So his health and his addiction want to work things out? Mars is on spica and with the nn. I'm not sure if we want mars to be dignified because that makes the addiction easier to deal with, or if we'd like to see mars in bad shape and therefore weak and easily destroyed. Hopefully some more seasoned horarists will weigh in.

My prediction is that he will improve, but that he won't necessarily totally kick the habit this year. Addiction is tough. I hope the best for him. He looks strong enough here to persevere. Jupiter may be in 8 th, but otherwise he is doing well and gaining traction. Gaining speed (traction) is what we want to see, I think. Recovery is a process. I think he'll win the battle in the end.
Gabby

Mercury, from its fall and detriment, is about to trine Jupiter. This may represent a love interest because mercury rules 7 th house. Your friend is very fond of this person. Much more fond than the other person is.

If you use the modern planets,, you'll see Jupiter has separated from Neptune (planet of addiction), but mercury translates light from Neptune back to Jupiter, bringing the influence of the addiction back to your friend. So there may be a person of bad influence in your friend's life who is possibly also an addict and who reinforces his addictive behavior.
Gabby

Jupiter, your friend who is asking the question, is exalted in Cancer. Being 'exalted' can be thought of as not really having the power to act for yourself, but being looked after like an honoured guest where people are acting in your best interest. Cancer is ruled by the Moon.

When we talk about emotions, we have to look at the Moon... and we see that exalted Jupiter is disposed by, and in mutual reception with - the Moon. Moreover, the Moon is in the 1st, so we start to get a feeling that this chart is valid and the Moon is the key to what we want to know.

The Moon is in a sign ruled by Jupiter and the Moon likes to be in signs ruled by Jupiter. The Moon is square the Part of Fortune, which is in a cadent house, but otherwise unimpedited, and the POF is disposed by Jupiter. Jupiter is also moving to a trine with the POF. So, a little bit of good fortune there.

Venus here I take as the ruler of the 11th house of friends, you perhaps? The Moon is in a tight sextile to Venus, perhaps showing your friend's emotional dependency on you? Venus is in its own terms in Aquarius, so has some dignity, but is in a cadent house. Then there is Mars on the cusp of the 11th. So, you probably are not in a position to help your friend as much as you would like?

Anyhow, my feeling on this chart is that there is more good news than bad and, with help, your friend will go forwards rather than backwards.

Probably best to look the problem directly. Jupiter ruling his Asc. is in the eight (could show interest in spiritualism) and besieged by having just left Uranus and applying to an opposition to Pluto. The Moon is strong but besieged by Saturn in the 12th and Pluto in the 2nd. The Sun is within a degree of the 4th is dignified and rules the 9th. You also have the POF on the cusp of the 9th. With the Sun making a square to Jupiter, I see this as a path to healing and the rulers and house placements be examined in greater detail.

kali

i think the chart is valid. as kali pointed out - moon besieged by saturn and pluto - it is on the exact midpoint degree actually - would signify someone struggling with addiction problems. the moon is also at the exact midpoint of midheaven/mercury (and midheaven/neptune) and as we see in the chart mercury in close conjunction to neptune seems like a good image for someone trying to resolve addiction problems too. jupiter in cancer in the 8th is a mixed bag as i see it. yes - it rules the pisces placements and the moon which would seem to bode well, but it is still in the 8th. some type of death to the persons past is necessary in order to move forward and suggested by jupiters placement.

i think mars and saturn connect with the addiction. venus, ruler of 6th applies to saturn from saturns sign. mars rules the 12th which has saturn in it, which in turn is ruled by venus. venus is ruled by saturn. mars is in detriment and retrograde while conjunction the nodal axis. on the basis of all this i don't think your friend will kick the addiction unless he really applies to it. i don't think the chart gives a clear answer on that and i think it is ultimately in there hands just how they move forward here. moon just past the midpoint of the 6th and 12th house rulers suggests the focus is on getting rid of the addiction to better one's health as well, but i don't think it is a sure thing it will happen. jupiter shows promise as ruler of ascendant and moon, but no guarantee. moon in sag - generally a positive is in a tough degree here at sa/pl midpoint.

james_m wrote:i think i got sidetracked by the other comments here including the initial one.. is this a chart for your friend and if so what house is the friend defined by? i don't know that it is defined by the 1st house as is suggested by everyone here.. perhaps someone can clear this up for me and consider it a learning experience here for me!
The person drawing the chart gave the asc. to his friend because he asked them a question. Why do you doubt what they say?

kali

james, I believe this is a chart asked about or for a sick person. "In those types of charts the ascendant and it's ruler are usually significators of the sick person." "The Moon is said to be a general significator of all sick people" and with her placement in the first house shows that the original chart must be given priority. In looking at the chart with this focus, I felt you gave an excellent reading and strikes at the heart of the issue for Aquarius' friend.

The quotations were from Barbara Dunn's book 'Horary Astrology Re-Examined'.

kali

of course, I could be misreading or misapplying Ms. Dunn's ideas.

kali wrote:
james_m wrote:i think i got sidetracked by the other comments here including the initial one.. is this a chart for your friend and if so what house is the friend defined by? i don't know that it is defined by the 1st house as is suggested by everyone here.. perhaps someone can clear this up for me and consider it a learning experience here for me!
The person drawing the chart gave the asc. to his friend because he asked them a question. Why do you doubt what they say?

kali
Hello sorry for the confusion. He asked the chart I used his location, time and date.