Is this a good read?

Hi everyone,
Has anyone read the book by Derek Parker entitled "Familiar to all, William Lilly & Astrology in the Seventeenth century?"? I had it come up as a recommendation on my Amazon account. I had recently purchased Lilly's autobiography as I thought it about time I did! &am finding it fascinating, for he writes in a way that takes you into his world of the 17th century. :D
Thanks in advance,
Judy
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Hi Saturn Girl ... I thoroughly enjoyed Derek Parker's bio of Lilly. It is well written and provides much information not recorded in the autobiography, as well as a handy timeline of Lilly's life events alongside mundane events of his time.

It is interesting to note that Parker, who published the book in 1975, asserts that horary is a bunch of hooey and, despite his admiration for Lilly's intelligence, feels that he was either pulling everyone's leg or deluded when he indulged in horary astrology.

I recommend the book and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

xo Tara

Hi Judy,

I would second the endorsment by Tara. Knowing what a fan you are of horary and Lilly in particular I think this is a must have book. It gives you a lot more insight into Lilly's life and his humble origins. Do make sure you get a fairly cheap copy from somewhere like ABE books and dont get pulled into any ebay auctions for it!

I had forgotten Parker made those negative comments on horary. Still, Christian Astrology wasn't republished again until the 1980's and before this horary wasn't regarded very highly in the astrological community. Prejudice against horary was common at one time. For example, Charles Carter had no time for horary and said so.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

:D Hi Tara & Mark
Thanks to you both for your insightful replies! I must admit that the reason I was a little dubious about buying the book, was because of the year it was written, knowing that the revival in horary wasn't until the 1980s. But your knowledge of the book has conv8nced me otherwise :brows
I have found a "used- very good" hardback copy for ?7.52 & am now looking forward to receiving it!
Thanks again
Judy :'
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Tara wrote:It is interesting to note that Parker, who published the book in 1975, asserts that horary is a bunch of hooey and, despite his admiration for Lilly's intelligence, feels that he was either pulling everyone's leg or deluded when he indulged in horary astrology.
I am glad to see that such opinions about traditional astrology no longer exist in our more enlightened times and places (like our forum for instance) 8)
MJ
Matthew Goulding