Flat Racing Season 2014

As we are starting the flat racing season this week. I thought it would be useful to have one thread for all postings on English horse racing.

My main focus is the top class races (class 1, groups 1,2 and 3). Wednesday 16th at Newmarket sees the Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn Stakes at 16:05 (Class 1 Group3). I am not going to make a prediction on this - there is no runner that fits the chart well enough. It seems that we do best when we restrict ourselves to those races where there is a horse whose name fits the chart very closely, and the owner's colours are also indicated in the chart.

The season runs to October - about six months, so we should have plenty of opportunities to refine our prediction methods.

If you want to join in this experiment in developing our racing prediction techniques, please post your predictions here, and give your reasoning. In a way it does not matter if you are right or wrong, we can learn from failed predictions almost as much as from successful ones - especially if they are well argued :)

Those interested in racing, please join us this season.

Cheltenham 16:25

Cheltenham 16:25

Asc 18? 39' Virgo

LHR Moon 12? 49' Scorpio

5th Cusp 12? 47' Capricorn

The first aspect the 5th cusp makes is to The Moon by sextile- only 2mins of arc away. I backed 'Phone Home' at 50/1 e/w. - White silks and placed finishes in 2 of it's last 3 races. The fact that it turned out to be a blind, three-legged donkey is neither here nor there.

'Tinker Time' won this race.

A tinker was originally an itinerant tinsmith, who mended household utensils.

Of course, the Moon is a container, to do with food etc?the repairing bit must come from Pluto placed at 13? 34' Capricorn - bang on the 5th cusp. Virgo obviously rules utensils and the 'itinerants' among us.

Stupid boy, Pike.

My selections for Lingfield 18.4.2014

Here's my initial selections for today's races at Lingfield - i'll have a closer look at the 2.55,3.30 and 4.05 once i've had more coffee.

1 Honoured (5) 1.45 Lingfield
2 Fashion Line (5) 2.20 Lingfield
3 Passing Star (7) 2.55 Lingfield
4 Blue Wave (10) 3.30 Lingfield
5 Stepper Point (9)4.05 Lingfield
6 Grey Mirage (7) 4.40 Lingfield

Good luck! :, :, 2nd :, :, - Not a great day at the coalface.
Last edited by ModWasp on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

At Musselburgh today 18 4 2014 in the 3.50 pm race both the Moon @9sag50 and Venus @13pis 50 are angular - i/c and descendant respectively. As they are both ruled by Jupiter I choose the third favourite Extra Noble.

Hello Simon

I also like the look of Extra Noble - but i found this on 'Almargo'

'The noble surname of Almargo is of Spanish decent, and appears to be of toponymic origin, derived from the place where the original bearer first lived or owned the land. The name Almagro is rooted in the Arabic language and comes from two words 'Al' and 'Magra' which mean together 'red clay'.

and

'Almagro is a notable surname among the early Spanish settlers in South America'

Is there a danger of losing sight of the solid predictions among the many apparent guesses? The hacks run a naps table each season which may be a truer test of forecasting than comparing each forecast for all races. Dump the charts that reveal nothing and focus on the good ones, which may not include group races if a valuable handicap at Royal Ascot is better.
It's a suggestion . . .

2000 Guineas

Group 1 run at Newmarket due off at 3:50 pm Sat 3rd May.

Typically unpromising chart but it is a race of notable importance so something might come out of it. The aspect that catches my eye is the trine from the Sun to Pluto; both in earth.

Ignoring names for the time being what could this aspect signify? A luminary casting light on a planet named after a god noted for sporting a helmet of invisibility and residing underground; could this indicate a dark horse (literally a brown colt) or an outsider?

If a name, something earthy from below (down under)?

So far I've ignored the trine from the Moon to Neptune (bit wide for my taste) and the Campanus 5th cusp system; any offers?

I was going to look at the 2000 guineas in a week or so :), once the field of runners gets cut-down a bit .

The Moon is also applying -135- to Saturn, further highlighting the dark and hidden theme.

Irish Grand Nation

Ok - it's not a flat race.

Addey method.
5th cusp at 20?52' Cap
first aspect sextile to Saturn - next conj Moon
LOTH Jupiter - Lord of IC
25?26' Virgo Asc

My punts for this race are 'Home Farm' and 'shutthefrontdoor'

Silks are Purple and White stripes for Home Farm, green and yellow for shutthefrontdoor.

What could possibly go wrong?